U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:22 AM

1,999 posts, read 9,753,796 times

Advertisements

Which city would be best to live in for 3 months: Toronto? Vancouver? Montreal? I'm a mid-60's white female, very active, that loves: cultural activities (opera, symphony, great libraries); great mom-and-pop type restaurants that are cheap; terrific thrift store/antique bargains; cool old architecture (think Chicago); safe and secure environments (been mugged before and that was no fun!); and friendly, warm people.
As I understand it, Vancouver--altho rated by many polls the best city--has less there than Toronto and Montreal. True?
If Canada were easier to immigrate to, I'd do it. I had a number of relatives to came to America from Europe by way of Canada, and loved living there.
So, which city has the most to offer someone like myself?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 10:15 AM

705 posts, read 1,709,417 times
Montreal for sure. It is cheaper but offers much more cultural events. Toronto is kind of dull whole Vancouver is not on the same scale (unless you want to see the ocean every day).

The most important thing is, there is nothing in Vancouver or Toronto you don't have in the US, but Montreal? You don't get that in the South.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:23 PM

Montreal is the cheapest to visit of all 3 from what I can tell.
I wonder how hard it will be since I speak no French at all?

Old 06-19-2009, 01:15 PM

11,020 posts, read 24,466,983 times
I am from vancouver so my vote is for van but it is really expensive here but we are kinda a trendy city like L.A. lots of fake people

Old 06-19-2009, 02:01 PM

365 posts, read 1,092,537 times
Toronto is hardly dull. It's very diverse with more cultural events and institutions than the other two options.
Montreal is cheaper. It is very unique due to the history and culture of it residents.
Vancouver is the most scenic. Hands down.
All three are unique and well worth a visit.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:38 PM

858 posts, read 2,068,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Which city would be best to live in for 3 months: Toronto? Vancouver? Montreal? I'm a mid-60's white female, very active, that loves: cultural activities (opera, symphony, great libraries); great mom-and-pop type restaurants that are cheap; terrific thrift store/antique bargains; cool old architecture (think Chicago); safe and secure environments (been mugged before and that was no fun!); and friendly, warm people.
As I understand it, Vancouver--altho rated by many polls the best city--has less there than Toronto and Montreal. True?
If Canada were easier to immigrate to, I'd do it. I had a number of relatives to came to America from Europe by way of Canada, and loved living there.
So, which city has the most to offer someone like myself?
Why don't you stay a month for each city? I bet it would be a great adventure, all with different flavors.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:49 AM

I'd love to do that when I'm able. One of the things I absolutely will not miss is the Canadian Rockies train trip from Montreal to Vancouver. I've heard it's fantastic from a number of Americans here.
I wonder why Montreal is so much cheaper than Vancouver? Is Vancouver more expensive, because it's influenced by the high prices in the American States of Washington and California? Is there some logical reason Vancouver is so expensive?

Old 06-20-2009, 10:39 AM

858 posts, read 2,068,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I'd love to do that when I'm able. One of the things I absolutely will not miss is the Canadian Rockies train trip from Montreal to Vancouver. I've heard it's fantastic from a number of Americans here.
I wonder why Montreal is so much cheaper than Vancouver? Is Vancouver more expensive, because it's influenced by the high prices in the American States of Washington and California? Is there some logical reason Vancouver is so expensive?
I think Vancouver is so expensive for a number of reasons, but I could be totally wrong.

1. Asians from China, Korea, Japan, etc. are driving the market.
2. Great place to live.
3. sister city to LA (entertainment industry), 3rd place behind NYC and LA

Yes, my ex-colleague went on his honeymoon on that trip from Vancouver to Montreal said the scenery was unbelievable. If I move to Vancouver (crossing fingers), I would love to visit Montreal. Hear so many great things about it.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:58 AM

29 posts, read 171,398 times
If you are a white person who does not speck French: when you go to Montreal, tell people you are American. By doing so, you will get less discrimination. There is strong feeling against English speaking people in Quebec.

I lived in Montreal for a few years and run away during Meach Lake debate, which (if you do not know) tried to put Quebec be more Canadian that the rest of Canada.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:30 AM

11,020 posts, read 24,466,983 times
I have to vote for my hometown vancouver only thing we need is a stanley cup winning hockey team and we are #1 man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver