U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 18,118 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Vancouver from the US next month. I've looked at all of the CIC site information about making lists of your personal belongings and assigning a value to them. If you've ever moved witha moving company, you know that the movers just list boxes of "household goods" in addition to items that are not boxed, like a bedframe or credenza or a tv. How does the folks at customs deal with that? The list you develop on form B4 will have all of the larger items, but who knows how many boxes of "household goods" will eventually be created. How closely do they check?

Finally, the list of prohibited items includes used mattresses that have not been fumigated. Do folks actually do this...or just trash them and "buy Canadian" after they arrive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 08:41 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,371,229 times
How closely do they check? That's the million dollar question everytime you go through customs, isn't it?

My personal experience involved a tandem-axle U-Haul loaded to the doors with boxes and other household goods. We had all the boxes numbered and labelled with descriptive lists; the descriptions and numbers were then transposed to the B4.

My greatest fear was that Customs would ask us to unload the trailer, because it was a huge #-D puzzle to put together.

In fact, the Customs people looked at the lists, asked if we were sure we had everything included, signed off, and wished us a safe journey.

As with any dealings with Customs people around the world, your mileage may vary.

I'd be inclined to have as accurate a listing as possible on the B4 just in case.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:58 AM

123 posts, read 412,475 times
We didn't have any issues. We hired Atlas van lines to move us from Canada to USA. They itemized everything for us. Sometimes it is just better to pay the extra money and hire someone else to deal with it who knows all the rules. It cost us around 4000 to move from BC to NC.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:49 PM

29 posts, read 103,921 times
Move from US to Canada is very different from Canada to US. I have experiences to move both directions.

Move from Canada to US: nothing need to do: US does not want tax.
Move from US to Canada: Canada wants your tax. In your case, you may not pay tax. You need declare in person. I hired a mover to move my stuff. It needed an arrangement for the Customers, the mover and me (actually it was my wife) to meet in front of my stuff. All my belongs were originally came from Canada, so I did not pay tax. But I paid GST (Good-Service-Tax) for my 2 year old car. That was 2001. I think now is the same.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 33,431 times
I'm hoping to move possibly next year. I'm hoping it will be uneventful if I do my homework. Question... What type of things are we NOT allowed to move to the USA. I have a substantial liquor collection.
Anyone know the rules?
betweenarock..
bc

Last edited by betweenarock; 09-13-2010 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: moved out of order..

Old 09-13-2010, 04:38 PM

5,291 posts, read 10,364,793 times
Americans returning to the US are allowed a max of 40 oz (beer or Alcohol)..anything over that is DUMPED into the large sink they have and the bottles or cans in the trash can. I know this for a fact as I had to dump a bottle of Brandy that I had purchased for my dad. One bottle or the 40 oz limit is it.

Furniture etc ( I went thru this from Canada) is listed for a one time crossing.

I can appreciate the Liquor collection...bringing it all across...another matter.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 33,431 times
Thanks... after doing some deeper research I too found out I can only take the normal amount down. Guess I'd best be having a few rip roaring gatherings... Ha ha ha ha. Thanks for your reply.
alway appreciated

Old 10-03-2010, 02:11 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,519,956 times
I'd suggest that you MAY be able to get your "collection" in if you ship separately, evaluate each bottle NOT ORIGINATING in the United States, and CRATE IT and use a BROKER.
Yachts have a procedure and are allowed an amount coming into Canada, but it's been years since I've been up on the details. Consult a broker: In Vancouver it's ALL-Cargo International that deals mainly with personal effects worldwide; tell Rolf I sent you
Oops; we've just highjacked this posters thread; see below for mattress comment!

Old 10-03-2010, 02:15 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,519,956 times
Default Mattress sale now on at Sleep Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastcrab View Post
I will be moving to Vancouver from the US next month. I've looked at all of the CIC site information about making lists of your personal belongings and assigning a value to them. If you've ever moved witha moving company, you know that the movers just list boxes of "household goods" in addition to items that are not boxed, like a bedframe or credenza or a tv. How does the folks at customs deal with that? The list you develop on form B4 will have all of the larger items, but who knows how many boxes of "household goods" will eventually be created. How closely do they check?
Any bulky item usually costs more to ship/carry/bother with than buying new when you get here. Unless you're really attached to that Lazy-Boy recliner and it was ordered custom just for you.
Finally, the list of prohibited items includes used mattresses that have not been fumigated. Do folks actually do this...or just trash them and "buy Canadian" after they arrive?
I used to have mattresses "ozoned" by pro industrial dry cleaners. They're then sealed and accompanied with a certificate, similar to a "Phyto-Sanitary" certificate for foodstuffs, seedlings, etc. Bedbugs and other critters in transit are best left at the departure point.

I'm actually surprised that the border doesn't preclude backpacks, all foodstuffs, and anything related to hygiene. The biggest Black Widow spiders I've ever seen came into Vancouver with returning University students from the U.S. (They love dark, cool places and closets with backpacks usually have food residue: i.e. small gnats, bugs, and good things for a widow to eat; good thing Scorpions like outside

(Former owner: Moving Company): As expensive as things are here in Vancouver it amazes me that people would bring their crap when they could replace it easily and for less than the cost/hassle of dragging it with them. It can prove more of a psychological/emotional decision. We all get attached to our "stuff"

Last edited by thedwightguy; 10-03-2010 at 02:40 PM..

Old 10-10-2010, 10:37 AM

10 posts, read 29,198 times
If I do it myself and use a uhaul, it's way cheaper to do that then to replace all of my things. Actually, even if I choose a company, it's cheaper. My bed alone was over $1000.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver