Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,977 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are looking for a better and secure place to live. We are from Mexico City. A great city in many aspects but security and life quality is what we want for us and our children. We have been doing a research and she suggested to go to Brisbane Australia because of the weather, but Vancouver is in America and closer to our family. Our question is how hard as a Graphic Designer and an accountant is to get a job in Vancouver? I´ve heard that jobs are preferently given to Canadians and a little hard to get as a Latin. Can you please give us your oppinion or experience on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 02:29 AM

60 posts, read 203,509 times
Speaking wise plenty of Latin people. Work wise no real idea. Just got to try the market. But you must posses good English speaking skills. I know no one will hire you if you don't. (This happened to a good buddy of mine) Good Luck.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:33 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,483 times
It wouldn't be hard at all, although employment opportunities are highly competitive in Vancouver. Being Latin wouldn't work against you unless you were unable to communicate in English - which you can. Vancouver has a small Mexican population compared to cities in the USA, but it's a very multicultural place - it's a very international city, and I'm sure you'll quite enjoy it.

If you're a graphic designer, as long as you have the right skills and an impressive portfolio, it wouldn't be too hard to get a job. It would be highly beneficial to start networking beforehand, however. Likewise, I can't imagine it being too hard to secure employment as an accountant either.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:46 PM

4 posts, read 11,870 times
Buenas dias. Vivo en el interior de 'BC'. Hablo poquito espanol, pero soy aprendar. Hay mucho opportunidades por empleas. Hay mas latinos de Mexico aqui en el verano, trabajando en los campos de frutos, pero es estacional. Tengo unos amigos quien son espanol y hablan espanol fluidez. Puedo preguntarles para informacion en mover a Canada and empleas, si? Hablamos mas adelante.
El website por empleo en Canada es Job Bank - Home
Tambien, Castanet.net - Kelowna's Home Page para interior de BC.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:46 AM

5 posts, read 14,844 times
No hay problemas! Somos Canadienses, pero ahora vivimos in Venezuela. Canada es mucho mejor!!!!!! Your english seems very good, in writing, so I dont think you will have any trouble. You will be regarded for any job you apply for just like anyone else who applies - good luck. There is a small latin community in Vancouver - we have family who have lived there for 30 years and have neer learned english, so apparently you can survive. Not my idea of living in Canada. In Canada you will find it much easier to find the products from home that you will miss once you leave. Vancouver is a wonderful city, and raising kids in the lower mainland is ideal. I suggest you look in the greater Vancouver area, like Surry, Langley... A little less expensive, better options for your children, but still an easy commute to Vancouver.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:18 PM

12 posts, read 64,107 times
If you speak ENGLISH it wouldn't be a problem. On another note I wonder why so many Latin-Americans have no interest in staying in their own countries and helping to make them better so that you don't feel the need to move to a more successful country?

Old 01-08-2010, 03:25 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCoast604 View Post
If you speak ENGLISH it wouldn't be a problem. On another note I wonder why so many Latin-Americans have no interest in staying in their own countries and helping to make them better so that you don't feel the need to move to a more successful country?
I can ever so sense the prejudice undertone of your statement, why must you recover a 6 month old topic by the way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver