Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:14 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,093,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymisslmt View Post
It gets dark by 4:00 pm
This is only in December. In January it is still light at 5:00
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,577 times
Default Two different worlds!

Are you serious? Vancouver and Los Angeles are two different worlds. After spending almost 25 years in Vancouver (I grew up there), it was time to leave. The rain didn't didn't bother me too much at the time, but that was b/c I never knew any better. I now live in LA, and I love it. It is sunny ALL the time, and that makes a big difference. I have friends up North who still say "I love 4 seasons" but they are the same friends who complain in the Winters and look forward to the Hawaii getaways. Frankly, they just don't know any better. Sure, LA is a little crazy at times, esp. on the freeways, but most people think South Central LA when they think of LA. This city is so large, that you can live in the certain areas and live a very peaceful life. These areas include Pasadena/San Marino, Irvine or other Orange county cities, Santa Monica/Westwood/Beverly Hills, etc. etc. or you can live farther away from the city.

I'm heading back to Vancouver to live, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to adjust to the boredom. If you're into a life of freedom with a entertainment and culture, then head to LA. Also do this if your job offers a 6-digit salary or above, since you will be rewarded with much less tax and an abundant amount of "write-offs."

If you're ready to retire, and live a slow predictable life, then Vancouver is your place. Also, it's the place to go if you want the gov't to take care of you. It'll cost you more to live in Vancouver though (you're paying for it), so keep that in mind. For some reason, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is cheaper down here.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:19 AM

12 posts, read 70,213 times
Thumbs down Rain is the fashion of the day gloomy in BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
I hear it rains a lot. I'm from a place that snows a lot so I think rain would be a little better. But I'm just wondering, is it really that bad? how often does it rain? I'm thinking of either going to BC or California.
If you want to have lots of rain and gloomy skies then go to BC, especially the coastal and fraser valley regions. Most days are gloomy and overcast and a large part of the population suffers from SAD seasonal affective disorder.
if you want sunshine then go to California, hands down that is a better choice.many people from different canadian provinces move to BC thinking it will be sunny and light rain, only to find they are sadly dissappointed with the constant grey skies and miserable conditions. YUK YUK and more YUK is all I can say about BC it stinks!!!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:06 AM

33,513 posts, read 37,061,236 times
Lori, are you just posting out of ignorance or has BC treated you that badly?

BC is a large province with a very diversified climate. Sure it rains a lot in some places on the coast, but there are other coastal cities with moderate rainfall, and lots of sunny days and even areas considered desert in the interior of the province.

British Columbia - Weather and Climate in BC

Climate of California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-23-2008, 09:38 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,448,310 times
I agree with Lorri, spent the whole summer in Nanimo in the early sixties and I don't recall very much sunshine at all.....I suppose Nanimo is one of those rainy areas of BC.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:54 AM

Yup...It rains all the time here...Please stay away.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:59 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,448,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yup...It rains all the time here...Please stay away.
LOL I don't think my presence caused the rain, not like I did a rain dance every second day!

Old 03-23-2008, 10:36 AM

Maybe you try Victoria next time...It is the driest major city in Canada in the summer, and gets only 23.8 inches of rain annually, compared to Ottawa's 34.6 inches.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:03 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,417,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holeinone View Post
Sure, LA is a little crazy at times, esp. on the freeways, but most people think South Central LA when they think of LA. This city is so large, that you can live in the certain areas and live a very peaceful life. These areas include Pasadena/San Marino, Irvine or other Orange county cities, Santa Monica/Westwood/Beverly Hills, etc. etc. or you can live farther away from the city.
Who the hell thinks of South Central when L.A. is brought up? They must have been watching too many gang movies. When I think of L.A. it's all about the Westside (Santa Monica/Westwood/Beverly Hills).

Old 03-23-2008, 09:14 PM

19 posts, read 132,055 times
Vancouver is nothing like any California coastal city, not even close. If you like sunshine, i'd recommend Cali (if you're American or can get a work visa).

Vancouver, it's not so much the rain..... the fact is the place is dark and overcast at least half the year. Think hard about what that means for you, if you are OK with gray skies all day for weeks at a time, it has a lot to offer. it's very "green" in the winter time and it feels very natural and connected to nature. If you like that, its great.

If you have SAD disorder, don't even think about moving there. The dark gloominess is very pervasive and it will invade your life after a while, it's unavoidable. If you don't mind the higher population and congestion, and prices.... California has much better weather and a little more to offer IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver