U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-19-2010, 10:12 PM
 
Location: all over the world
90 posts, read 186,460 times
Reputation: 127

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthndul View Post
@reneici
Wow, thanks a lot for your abundant information you wrote.
We don't have any intention to live in VC downtown, we like to avoid congestion. So Burnaby, Surrey and Coquitlam are on my mind now.
My kids are now in the elementary school, kindergarten and a baby
Yes I'm chinese but can't speak Mandarin, coz our great great grand father was already born here. So I can say that actually I'm no longer chinese like what lucknow said that our children and grandchildren will be canadian

Now, I will definitely go

Thanks for everyone for your input !
I'm glad you decided to go!

Burnaby's better than Surrey & Coquitlam. This is once again thinking for your kids when they become teenagers..... Coquitlam's for retired people!! I know parents love it cuz it's just sooo beautiful. But it's so uncool & SOOO far away and it'll be harder for your kids to get to the teenage entertainment & will grow up to be nerdy Asian kids & it might be harder for them to integrate into active social lives when they go to university. It'll traumatize them for life. (ok fine maybe not for life)
Either that or they'll do drugs recreationally cuz there's no other entertainment around. Surrey's similar but slightly better than Coquitlam.
I remember we used to make fun of kids who grew up in Coquitlam & Surrey. Surrey is always made fun of cuz it's the whoxe-producing capital of Canada. The (terrible) stereotype (with some truth) is that Surrey girls are the sluttiest. Why? I really don't know. Pamela Andersen is from Surrey though.

If you are chinese but live in an non-chinese speaking area in Asia, where do you live now? Just curious.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2010, 10:19 PM
 
Location: all over the world
90 posts, read 186,460 times
Reputation: 127
But still....Surrey is good for future property investment, SPECIFICALLY, properties around areas where the new metro station will be built. They will definitely go up.

So.... property investment & slutty daughters. Hmmm...Tough choice.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
1,049 posts, read 4,046,476 times
Reputation: 1024
Surrey and slutty daughters?
Coquitlam and nerdy Asian kids? Harder to integrate socially at university because they grew up in Coquitlam?

Are you for real?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2010, 07:10 AM
 
Location: all over the world
90 posts, read 186,460 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
Surrey and slutty daughters?
Coquitlam and nerdy Asian kids? Harder to integrate socially at university because they grew up in Coquitlam?

Are you for real?
Um...Take it with a TRUCKLOAD of salt.

For Coquitlam...I was being facetious when I said the kids "will grow up to be nerdy Asian kids & it might be harder for them to integrate into active social lives when they go to university. It'll traumatize them for life. (ok fine maybe not for life)"
I thought the sarcasm's pretty apparent especially with the "traumatized for life" comment thrown in there.

My disclaimer: Coquitlam is a lovely place. I LOVE going there on a cruiser bike on a sunny day, it's breath-taking. It has spectacular scenery. It's great for little kids because it's so safe, so beautiful. But it just isn't on the "Top 5" list of where teenagers (or twenty-somethings) would love to live. Actually I'm in my late-twenties and I still don't want to live there.

But still.... these cities do get made fun of (REMEMBER I'm talking from a teenager's perspective, NOT as an adult). Like it or not, those jokes and conversations existed and probably still exist. Teenagers aren't the most thoughtful people in the world and love poking fun at each other. Nothing malicious, but it's there.

I grew up in Richmond and I always got jokes about being a shxtty driver because Richmond's stereotype is "drivers-who-can't-drive-for-shxt." As a matter of fact when I was in high school the stereotype was "Richmond's teenage drivers kill people" because...it happened (thank god this stereotype has become history). So I was seen as a potential killer, Surrey girls were sluts, and Coquitlam kids were tools.

And about Surrey... come on! Don't tell me you've never heard that about Surrey. You'd be lying. Or you have been living under a rock for the past century.

I remember I had a good friend from junior high who moved to Surrey in Gr.10 and I remember asking her in all seriousness if the stereotype's true or if it was an urban legend or a random unjustified joke.
And she and a couple of her friends from Surrey all nodded enthusiastically and said it's TOTALLY true, and happily provided a list of example ho's they knew around them.

Here are a few entries on "Surrey Girl" at Urban Dictionary:
-A girl who gives it up for free, very little, or a hit of anything.
-A girl who originates from a city in British Columbia, Canada. Girls from this area are well known for being skxnky and slutty and sometimes both.
-A female that is known for her promiscuity. Will have incourse and/or give oral sex at the drop of a hat, or sip of alcohol.
-A girl who is very easy to chat up,likely to say her and boyfriend just broke-up,and why can't she find someone nice?,and that they haven't had sex in a month at least,then ask if u have a girlfriend,all this while waiting in line at the bar,they're mostly out at night,although many don't make it home by morning.Easy to spot heavy make-up,big hair,over-kill on perfume,fake nails that shoulda been removed a week ago,some kind of ***-****-me boots,ohh and don,t forget the back-pack & pager! No-doubt she drinks like a fish,take anything(drugs)offered to her,and usually have at least one BOCA sweat-shirt,pair of joggers with brat/blondie across the ass.They're easy,dumb as hell,and always at the door for last call(bar/club).Surrey girls favourite quotes "I'm not usually like this" "Oh-oh i'm getting drunk" "I just got kicked out of where i'm staying" "My boyfriend beat me up"

Urban Dictionary:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=surrey%20girl

Last edited by reneici; 01-21-2010 at 07:58 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2010, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
1,049 posts, read 4,046,476 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneici View Post
Um...Take it with a TRUCKLOAD of salt.
I figured that much.

But did the original poster?

That was my point.

I figured as much because I too grew up in Richmond and am familiar with the local stereotypes and what have you... but you have to be careful when referencing those kind of things to people who aren't familiar with Vancouver at all. The danger is that in an international forum like this, people are likely to take what you say at face value because they don't have the local knowledge to differentiate between when you're being sarcastic, facetious, or legitimate. They're coming here to get advice. Only locals will get Surrey girl jokes or Richmond driver jokes, but the joke is lost on others. That's all. At least offer a disclaimer or explain the joke, stereotype, etc. The audience here isn't local, it's international.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2010, 10:29 AM
 
16 posts, read 23,991 times
Reputation: 16
Whoa
You gimme a very bad impression about Surrey area
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2010, 06:28 PM
 
Location: all over the world
90 posts, read 186,460 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
I figured that much.

But did the original poster?

That was my point.

I figured as much because I too grew up in Richmond and am familiar with the local stereotypes and what have you... but you have to be careful when referencing those kind of things to people who aren't familiar with Vancouver at all. The danger is that in an international forum like this, people are likely to take what you say at face value because they don't have the local knowledge to differentiate between when you're being sarcastic, facetious, or legitimate. They're coming here to get advice. Only locals will get Surrey girl jokes or Richmond driver jokes, but the joke is lost on others. That's all. At least offer a disclaimer or explain the joke, stereotype, etc. The audience here isn't local, it's international.
Thanks for the reminder!
Yea I sometimes forget that people can't see my facial expressions and hear my sarcastic tone followed by laughs over the internet!

I guess I did push it a bit. I have my bias (I honestly still think Coquitlam's too far...the kids are gonna wanna move out and awaaaay as soon as they could).

Because of my mom's job she interacts with MMMMMANY immigrant families with teenagers, and I used to tutor and have tutored over 50 high school kids, and I've seen lots of conflicts (and many unhappy kids) and even though things usually work out, I really wish proactive actions could be taken and better communication could be bridged before second generation kids become teenagers--one conflict is how parents don't get why (and feel hurt) their kids seem to hate living with them and can't wait to get out. Another is how teenagers feel they have been deprived of a normal adolescent social life; when they get to university they either stay anti-social and stick to the accustomed class-home-class routine or rebel extra hard and DO EVERYTHIING.

Plus these are stereotypes (stereotypes are always based in some kind of truth) he'll find out sooner or later, better sooner than later. Once an immigrant family settles in a city (and buys a house there), they rarely uproot again.

But you are right....the audience is international and I should explained more clearly. Once again, thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthndul View Post
Whoa
You gimme a very bad impression about Surrey area
I'm telling you cuz you probably won't hear about it from fellow adults & other immigrant parents. Nobody will tell you, for the fear of misleading you. But the stereotype is there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 03:20 AM
 
Location: Urban Coastal California
1,431 posts, read 2,528,917 times
Reputation: 1138
ruthndul- if you are wondering about the communities in Vancouver area that have been mentioned, I can provide a little more insight after being here for several years (am an Asian-American originally from the US West Coast)-

Burnaby is a closer-in suburb that is more working-class with some middle-class neighborhoods. It is very ethnically diverse. It is connected by the Skytrain (Vancouver's rapid transit system) and the main freeway runs thru it. In that sense, it is a very central location. There are alot of highrises surrounding the biggest mall in the province, located in Burnaby.

Richmond is the suburb where the airport is located and recently has been connected with the new line of the Skytrain system. The Asian presence is strong in Metro Vancouver in general but particularly in Richmond especially among the newest of immigrants to Canada. It is not rundown or rough-edged like some of the Asian enclaves in California if you have been to the US...infact Richmond has various communities most of which are very orderly & middle-class in nature. But what reneici is trying to express is that the driving style is bad because alot of the residents there have not assimilated & they can survive without having to speak English very easily if they stay within Richmond.

Coquitlam is further out from Burnaby but not at all as bad or undesirable as reneici makes it out to be. It infact resembles more of the typical "American-style" suburb that you may or may not have seen depicted on tv. Coquitlam is actually relatively ethnically diverse and more middle-class & manicured in nature than Burnaby. I believe it is a fine place for kids to grow up- it is just that the kids are more likely to hang out at the mall, movie theater, etc. As it is truly suburban in nature, a car is pretty much a requirement..if not, you'd have to take a bus to the Skytrain.

Surrey is probably the most rough of all the areas of Metro Vancouver. Parts of it I would say are probably among the roughest I've witnessed among my time across Canada. There are some good areas but I would say there are even more questionable areas. Personally it is not a great place to have kids grow up in. However, It is probably the cheapest part of the region to live in, that is connected to the Skytrain. It is also very ethnically diverse with more of a blend of ppl from all over.

I believe Vancouver is a great city. It has less dysfunction than alot of the California cities that is for sure. Good luck!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 AM
 
16 posts, read 23,991 times
Reputation: 16
Thanks a lot f1000

Then Burnaby will be my first choice.

btw, what about north VC ?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 11:14 AM
 
Location: all over the world
90 posts, read 186,460 times
Reputation: 127
f1000, GREAT POST!!!! *applause*

And I should add a (probably late ) disclaimer about my obvious bias for the suburbs (ie Coquitlam): I'm a downtown girl/hyperactive child who needs lots of mental stimulation and has an irrational fear for the suburban life.....like I CRIED like a BABY when I watched "Revolutionary Road" because becoming a suburban housewife with 2.2 children, a perfectly pedicured garden, polished cooking skills, and a life that surrounds the husband & the kids is my biggest fear. I even think Richmond's too far from downtown and have successfully persuade my parents to move to the Oakridge neighborhood.

OOOOOH the neighborhood around Oakridge is GREAT too!!!!! It's in Vanouver, around 41st & Cambie street, which is where the Oakridge shopping mall is. It is very central & a GREAT PLACE for families. Slightly more expensive though but it's not impossible to find reasonably priced places. Look into that.

North Van is fine.... crossing the bridge can be a pain in the axx. It's gorgeous. I actually like it better as a suburb. Still lots of old people. Very close to the mountains which is just amazing.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top