U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:01 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,421,547 times
ruthndul- North Vancouver is a suburb that is connected to the other parts of the city by bridge. I myself have also taken a couple times the Seabus which is a small ferry boat that transports people to downtown- i think it is part of the actual transit system. There are various communities with mix demographics but generally it is a more expensive area. It is multicultural..not as strong an Asian presence as other parts of Metro Vancouver, if that is an issue. There are also often great views of the mountains, forests and cityskape in this area.

I agree with reneici, the Oakridge neighborhood of Vancouver is nice though more expensive. It is centrally located but there are pockets of quietness and it is more spacious & manicured than other parts of the city, which appealed to me thus I am located there for now too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 02:11 PM

28 posts, read 60,704 times
Most immigrants coming to Canada, and not just to Vancouver who are not wealthy will find it challenging. This is because well paying jobs are relatively scarce and in my previous occupation as a mortgage banker I dealt with many immigrants who work multiple jobs to make ends meet and to save a bit for the future. It will not be easy but it is fulfilling once you make a comfortable life here.

Having said that, Canada offers political stability and a safe environment to live in through many social programs such as universal health care and welfare. The majority of immigrants in my experience rarely relies on social welfare on a long term basis though.

If you make the move to Canada, you must think of it in terms of providing your kids with a future here. My parents were immigrants and they toiled and worked hard since arriving here in the late 1950's early 1960's so that they can provide to me and my brothers the opportunities Canada offers. I am glad to say that all of us are proud Canadians doing our part contributing to Canadian Society.

For kkgg7, I noticed your negative comments pertaining to Vancouver and yet you do not live here. According to your previous comments on this board your experience with Vancouver was as a visitor. In my eyes, you are not qualified to give out advice to others who want to "live" here.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:32 PM

31 posts, read 130,177 times
[quote=f1000;12558402]
Surrey is probably the most rough of all the areas of Metro Vancouver. Parts of it I would say are probably among the roughest I've witnessed among my time across Canada. There are some good areas but I would say there are even more questionable areas. Personally it is not a great place to have kids grow up in. However, It is probably the cheapest part of the region to live in, that is connected to the Skytrain. It is also very ethnically diverse with more of a blend of ppl from all over.QUOTE]

Okay, I have a LOT of issues with this entire thread that I won't go into but this one got me going - um, Surrey is freaking HUGE. Yes, there are some areas that are horrible but it is SO large (a quick check on Google finds that Surrey is now the 12th largest city in Canada for population and is of course the largest city geographically in the lower mainland at 371 square km) that there are many, MANY areas of Surrey that are PERFECTLY safe and lovely and are a fine place to raise children. Don't paint all of Surrey with one brush just because you've only seen the undesirable parts. Look at it on a map and see how much of it is just nice, normal suburbia like anywhere else (ie: you can't tell this guy to live in Richmond and Burnaby and then tell him to stay away from Surrey - it's ridiculous).

Old 01-22-2010, 11:02 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,421,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausketeer View Post

Okay, I have a LOT of issues with this entire thread that I won't go into but this one got me going - um, Surrey is freaking HUGE. Yes, there are some areas that are horrible but it is SO large (a quick check on Google finds that Surrey is now the 12th largest city in Canada for population and is of course the largest city geographically in the lower mainland at 371 square km) that there are many, MANY areas of Surrey that are PERFECTLY safe and lovely and are a fine place to raise children. Don't paint all of Surrey with one brush just because you've only seen the undesirable parts. Look at it on a map and see how much of it is just nice, normal suburbia like anywhere else (ie: you can't tell this guy to live in Richmond and Burnaby and then tell him to stay away from Surrey - it's ridiculous).
Oh believe me, I have seen worse. But in my time in Canada, I'd say pockets of Surrey are truly questionable- and there are reasons why those stereotypes crop up and it is appropriate for the OP to get some insight. And by the way, i did acknowledge that there are some good areas there.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:25 AM

705 posts, read 640,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckung View Post

For kkgg7, I noticed your negative comments pertaining to Vancouver and yet you do not live here. According to your previous comments on this board your experience with Vancouver was as a visitor. In my eyes, you are not qualified to give out advice to others who want to "live" here.
I think for you any negative comments toward Vancouver will be deemed offensive.
funny that you think I am not qualified to give out advice while you as someone born in Canada, who had no cultural shock, difficulty in getting your credentials recognized, with established social connections, and with no linguistic barrier whatsoever are in a better position to give advice to those who are interested in moving to Canada?

I advice against moving to Vancouver for a simple and realistic reason that nobody can refute: that Vancouver is overpriced and that Vancouver offers insufficient job opportunities and career prospects and lower salaries. Raving about parks, mountains and fresh salmon from the Pacific is not gonna change that.

My whole point is, unless you are rich, think twice before moving to Vancouver. If you eventually do well in Vancouver, chances are that you would be doing even better elsewhere, financially and professionally.

Speaking of nice, St Tropez in the French Riviera is also super nice but I won't move there because the glamour is just not for average people like me who eventually need to work for a salary to pay off a mortgage.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:00 PM

28 posts, read 60,704 times
kkgg7, my qualifications are as follows:
1.I am the son of immigrant parents and spoke English as a 2nd language
2.I have worked with and still do work with immigrants on a regular basis
3.I have friends who are immigrants as well
4.I live, work and play in Vancouver and know it inside out
5.I work in the Real Estate sector and previously in Mortgage Banking and as such, possess a reasonable amount of knowledge and information about Vancouver Real Estate in general and the affordability the many various sub-areas in it.
6.I know the day to day cost of living in Vancouver because I am living it along with my wife and 2 kids.

So tell me, what are your qualifications and where do you live? Where is the elsewhere do you suggest for the original poster?

Old 01-24-2010, 01:17 PM

1,633 posts, read 2,557,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
I advice against moving to Vancouver for a simple and realistic reason that nobody can refute: that Vancouver is overpriced and that Vancouver offers insufficient job opportunities and career prospects and lower salaries. Raving about parks, mountains and fresh salmon from the Pacific is not gonna change that.
Why can't you accept the fact that not everybody moves to Vancouver for a paycheck, to make a career or to buy property. By now, everybody knows that Vancouver, in general, does not offer great career opportunities and affordable propery ownership. However, there are still many people would rather live in Vancouver on an average salary, renting and would rather have what Vancouver offers than live somewhere else just to earn more money and buy a property. Why do you have problems with that? Lots of people love living in Vancouver, many not rich immigrants included. Can you just accept it?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:42 AM

16 posts, read 23,445 times
kkgg7

you have soo many unanswered question

if you only see the job career and property prices
i think developing countries will be the perfect answer for you

the question is
which developing countries offer you free schooling ? free medication ? free giving birth ?
which city in developing countries have a lot of parks if not only surrounded by mountains as well as next to the beach ?
which developing country could give an average salary as high (or as low as ?) as Vancouver ?

now you have too many unanswered question

btw, where do you live ?

and now I asked, why your city is not as good as Vancouver according to citymayors.com ? (I believe you don't live in Vienna, Zurich nor Geneva, do you ?)

could you please answer to those questions instead of 'just complaining' ?

Old 01-25-2010, 12:16 PM

287 posts, read 596,506 times
Don't feed the troll folks.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:08 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,125,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggo View Post
Don't feed the troll folks.
Moderator's Note:

Good point.

Let's keep in mind that all members are able to express their opinions, even if those opinions are based on shaky foundations of knowledge.

Most of our readers are wise enough to separate sincerely helpful contributions from those based on very little knowledge and much bitterness.

That said, if you feel a member's material violates our Terms of service, please don't hesitate to use the Report Post function.

Now, let's get back to the topic.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver