Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Let's not argue about the striations. Ok, let me rephrase this a second time. Southern coastal British Columbia is to Canada what "the Sunbelt" is to the United States.

Vancouver, Victoria, Nanaimo residents don't worry about a engine block heater for their cars.
Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City ... Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.
I don't think you need a heater for the engine in Toronto. I don't know anyone who has it here.

Sunbelt is famous for the sunshine, Is Vancouver?
For christ's sake, you need multiple layers in the winter in Vancouver, sometimes a down jacket, the temperature dipps to below -5C often, and it snows regulary and you are comparing that to Miami? It is absurd in any context.

If Southen BC is what sunbelt for Canadians, how come I don't see Canadians flock there to spend the winter?

To say Vancouver is the Miami in Canada is as silly and clueless and saying Toronto is the NYC in Canada. Equally senseless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 03:26 PM

676 posts, read 648,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't think you need a heater for the engine in Toronto. I don't know anyone who has it here.

For christ's sake, you need multiple layers in the winter in Vancouver, sometimes a down jacket, the temperature dipps to below -5C often, and it snows regulary and you are comparing that to Miami? It is absurd in any context.

If Southen BC is what sunbelt for Canadians, how come I don't see Canadians flock there to spend the winter?

To say Vancouver is the Miami in Canada is as silly and clueless and saying Toronto is the NYC in Canada. Equally senseless.
Miami's really not the city I would compare it with, even if you're going by relative weather. There is no Miami of Canada. Vancouver is more like the San Diego of Canada... Mildest climate with few scorchingly hot days. Remember the rest of Canada gets pretty damn cold during the Winter so if Canada's your only option as a country and you need decently warm Winter Solstices, this corner of the country is about your best choice.

If you want a truly hot Canadian city to make analogous to one of the many hot American cities, Osoyoos would probably be the top contender... it could be the Palm Springs of Phoenix of Canadian cities. It's one of the only Canadian cities with an average of 30s in the summer and mid 20s in May and September, and only drops to around the 0 degree mark between December to February. If heat is your thing and you can't move out of Canada Osoyoos or its surrounding neighbors would be your best bet. It also only gets around 12 inches of precipitation a year as opposed to 60+ in Vancouver.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:22 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Miami's really not the city I would compare it with, even if you're going by relative weather. There is no Miami of Canada. Vancouver is more like the San Diego of Canada... Mildest climate with few scorchingly hot days. Remember the rest of Canada gets pretty damn cold during the Winter so if Canada's your only option as a country and you need decently warm Winter Solstices, this corner of the country is about your best choice.

If you want a truly hot Canadian city to make analogous to one of the many hot American cities, Osoyoos would probably be the top contender... it could be the Palm Springs of Phoenix of Canadian cities. It's one of the only Canadian cities with an average of 30s in the summer and mid 20s in May and September, and only drops to around the 0 degree mark between December to February. If heat is your thing and you can't move out of Canada Osoyoos or its surrounding neighbors would be your best bet. It also only gets around 12 inches of precipitation a year as opposed to 60+ in Vancouver.
All of these cities you cite are equally ridiculous comparisons. Vancouver doesn't compare to San Diego at all. I have lived in San Diego for 25 years. San Diego is dry and warm. Vancouver is wet and cool to cold. Osoyoos doesn't compare with Palm Springs nor Phoenix. Palm Springs and Phoenix are hotter and warm in the winter whereas Osoyoos is quite cold for 4 or 5 months. Vancouver compares to Seattle and Osoyoos to Wenatchee WA weatherwise.

Rather than making these ridiculous comparisons and instead just stick to the differences or comparisons with other locations in Canada.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:17 PM

377 posts, read 1,695,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

I can see the arguments on both sides of this one. Sure SW British Columbia is Canada's "warmest" climate in the winter. But Canadians sitting around arguing over who has the best winter weather is the equivalent of a group Dodge Neon and Pontiac Sunfire drivers sitting in a parking lot arguing who owns the better car. There are many reasons to live in Canada - but winter weather is not among them, no matter which end of the country you're in.

As much as I love and miss many things about living in Vancouver, one of it's most irritating attributes is that most of it's residents are completely clueless on what life is like outside it's borders, and are completely delusional about its climate. For starters, nobody in Toronto uses a block heater, and Toronto is only 5 - 10 degrees colder than Vancouver in the winter, with much more sun. Southern Ontario weather is nothing like the prairies, and the temperatures here are actually very similar to Kelowna, BC - a place that funny enough, if you ask most Vancouverites will say has a fantastic climate. Yet the myth of the supposed "winter wasteland" east of the Rockies continues...

And to suggest Vancouver's climate appeal is even marginally close to cities in the US Sunbelt is completely laughable.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:36 PM

250 posts, read 642,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
But Canadians sitting around arguing over who has the best winter weather is the equivalent of a group Dodge Neon and Pontiac Sunfire drivers sitting in a parking lot arguing who owns the better car. There are many reasons to live in Canada - but winter weather is not among them, no matter which end of the country you're in.
It's always fun to compare lists that CD users make for the Canadian cities with the "Best Weather" with the lists made for American cities with the "Worst Weather".

Our lists always include Vancouver, Niagara/St. Catherine’s and Windsor.

Theirs have Seattle, Buffalo, and Detroit.

One of the more recent discussions: http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...t-climate.html

Old 08-28-2012, 06:06 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinalberta View Post
It's always fun to compare lists that CD users make for the Canadian cities with the "Best Weather" with the lists made for American cities with the "Worst Weather".

Our lists always include Vancouver, Niagara/St. Catherine’s and Windsor.

Theirs have Seattle, Buffalo, and Detroit.

One of the more recent discussions: http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...t-climate.html
then a patriotic Canadian will say "hey I love colder weather so weather in Canada IS better!"
hilarious.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:46 PM

676 posts, read 648,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
All of these cities you cite are equally ridiculous comparisons. Vancouver doesn't compare to San Diego at all. I have lived in San Diego for 25 years. San Diego is dry and warm. Vancouver is wet and cool to cold. Osoyoos doesn't compare with Palm Springs nor Phoenix. Palm Springs and Phoenix are hotter and warm in the winter whereas Osoyoos is quite cold for 4 or 5 months. Vancouver compares to Seattle and Osoyoos to Wenatchee WA weatherwise.

Rather than making these ridiculous comparisons and instead just stick to the differences or comparisons with other locations in Canada.
You completely missed the point. For individuals who desire warm weather but must stay in Canada (no green card, can't get visa, need health care) these comparisons are valid for those looking for a place to live/work in the country. If you are from a southern coastal city or really want to be in that sort of climate, but must stay in Canada for whatever reason, Vancouver/Victoria is your closest bet to it. I did not say they were the same - but try and name me one other city in this country that more closely represents SoCal weather than Vancouver. If you want somewhere hot and arid in Canada, the closest you will come to that is the Osoyoos/Summerland area - hence, it is the representative "desert" of Canadian cities.

I don't like Vancouver's weather in particular as I wanted to move to SoCal for the climate. I can't for logistical reasons, therefore I picked to live and work in Vancouver until those terms presented themselves favourably to me. I did not pick Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, St John's etc. as they were even further removed from the warm south coastal weather that I want to eventually be in - (this is probably one of the reasons why Vancouver's housing price is so high - it's the only tiny corner of the country with a half decent population that has the closest weather patterns to some of the ideal cities in the US). Nowhere did I state Vancouver has San Diego's climate outright - it is just the best choice climate wise if you are restrained to this country. If you can name me another city with weather that more closely represents that region within Canada please do so as it will give me another option in the country.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
You completely missed the point. For individuals who desire warm weather but must stay in Canada (no green card, can't get visa, need health care) these comparisons are valid for those looking for a place to live/work in the country. If you are from a southern coastal city or really want to be in that sort of climate, but must stay in Canada for whatever reason, Vancouver/Victoria is your closest bet to it. I did not say they were the same - but try and name me one other city in this country that more closely represents SoCal weather than Vancouver. If you want somewhere hot and arid in Canada, the closest you will come to that is the Osoyoos/Summerland area - hence, it is the representative "desert" of Canadian cities.

I don't like Vancouver's weather in particular as I wanted to move to SoCal for the climate. I can't for logistical reasons, therefore I picked to live and work in Vancouver until those terms presented themselves favourably to me. I did not pick Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, St John's etc. as they were even further removed from the warm south coastal weather that I want to eventually be in - (this is probably one of the reasons why Vancouver's housing price is so high - it's the only tiny corner of the country with a half decent population that has the closest weather patterns to some of the ideal cities in the US). Nowhere did I state Vancouver has San Diego's climate outright - it is just the best choice climate wise if you are restrained to this country. If you can name me another city with weather that more closely represents that region within Canada please do so as it will give me another option in the country.
You just proved my point. If you can't leave Canada then why in the world do you want to compare the Canadian cities with US cities? The comparisons have no meaning if you can't choose between the cities you are comparing. By comparing Vancouver with San Diego, you are implying that their climates are similar which we all know is totally untrue. FYI, San Diego is considered a desert climate with average annual precipitation less than 10" /year.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:59 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
You just proved my point. If you can't leave Canada then why in the world do you want to compare the Canadian cities with US cities? The comparisons have no meaning if you can't choose between the cities you are comparing. By comparing Vancouver with San Diego, you are implying that their climates are similar which we all know is totally untrue. FYI, San Diego is considered a desert climate with average annual precipitation less than 10" /year.
With all due respect, I think you should give the previous poster a break. Looks like it's not him / her but you who doesn't get it. He / she does not directly compare SD weather with Vancouver's. Just re-read the poster's posts and try to understand what he/she is saying. In no way does Svelten imply that Vancouver's weather is similar to that of San Diego's. Yet, if somebody askswhat Canadian city is closest in weather pattern to that of San Diego's, what is the answer? The answer is that no Canadian city has weathr similar to that of SD, BUT Vancouver's is THE CLOSEST OF ALL THE CANADIAN CITIES THAT CANADA OFFERS. What is here so hard to understand?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
With all due respect, I think you should give the previous poster a break. Looks like it's not him / her but you who doesn't get it. He / she does not directly compare SD weather with Vancouver's. Just re-read the poster's posts and try to understand what he/she is saying. In no way does Svelten imply that Vancouver's weather is similar to that of San Diego's. Yet, if somebody askswhat Canadian city is closest in weather pattern to that of San Diego's, what is the answer? The answer is that no Canadian city has weathr similar to that of SD, BUT Vancouver's is THE CLOSEST OF ALL THE CANADIAN CITIES THAT CANADA OFFERS. What is here so hard to understand?
Actually, you are as wrong as he/she is. If you must compare Canadian cities to San Diego then Kelowna is more similar than Vancouver. Vancouver is a cool damp dreary rainy climate. San Diego is a dry temperate climate. Vancouver compares to Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver