U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,961 times
Default want to move

My wife and I are thinking of moving to Vancouver and would appreciate any advice. We have a 5 year old and expecting our second child. We are considering this as the cost of living is raising and the quality of life is dropping. We did some research before making this post and found that we can move with qualifying skills, I am a general laborer (currently I'm a machinist, but have experience in demolition, roofing, and painting), and she is a medical assistant. According to the Canadian Consulate website, these are not qualifying trades so we're not sure what our best option would be. Since the baby is due on Dec 2010, my wife would not be able to travel till mid 2011, would it be advisable for me to go ahead to get settle in? Our oldest is a canadian citizen (long story) can this help and how? And are there any government programs that would help us with the transition?

Last edited by DCmove; 05-29-2010 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 09:21 PM

4,285 posts, read 9,737,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmove View Post
My wife and I are thinking of moving to Vancouver and would appreciate any advice. We have a 5 year old and expecting our second child. We are considering this as the cost of living is raising and the quality of life is dropping. We did some research before making this post and found that we can move with qualifying skills, I am a general laborer (currently I'm a machinist, but have experience in demolition, roofing, and painting), and she is a medical assistant. According to the Canadian Consulate website, these are not qualifying trades so we're not sure what our best option would be. Since the baby is due on Dec 2010, my wife would not be able to travel till mid 2011, would it be advisable for me to go ahead to get settle in? Our oldest is a canadian citizen (long story) can this help and how? And are there any government programs that would help us with the transition?

Well, if you don't qualify under the Skilled Worker program, your options are pretty much limited to immigrating under the general category.

Until you've applied for and been accepted as a Permanent Resident, it isn't terribly practical for you come to Canada and set up housekeeping. Immigration applications and decisions take a considerable amount of time -- plan on 12-24 months.

It's unclear about what you're looking for in transition aid, but the Canadian government generally expects immigrants to prove they can financially support themselves for a certain amount of time after they enter the country to take up residence.

Go to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site, take the eligibility test, download the forms package to see what the exact requirements for immigration are, and then see if moving to Canada is still a practical expectation.

Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Old 06-04-2010, 04:42 PM

40 posts, read 67,582 times
Quote:
I went through the process of applying and my wife and I now have Canadian residency....via the Skilled program.

It cost us about $8000 CAN or about $6000 US at the time. It took about 2 years and we landed to get our Visa's in 2008. We came back to the US immediately because I've simply been unable to find work in BC as of yet. There are interviews, phone interviews, showings of interest, but no one has yet to say they'll hire.

I've fast figured out (and have had confirmation from people who live in BC and work as professionals, engineers, etc), that people in BC are very very very slow to respond, very very very cautious to take actions, very very conservative in the risk taking department, etc...it's agonizing. Truly.

If you are not here physically, you'll be hindered greatly. I live in LA unfortunately and hate it. But I can't make a move to BC without a job...it's suicide IMO. I'm almost 40 so it'd not make financial sense for me...perhaps if I were 15 years younger.

Also, you can bet you'll get a paycut...a nice one at that. I make over 6 figures now and some change....I'll be lucky to get $90K CANADIAN for the same position I'm in. My wife can't find work either because the BC schools are being turned upside down right now (she's a counselor). So we go from 2 incomes to 1 income with a paycut.

In a city where an average home IN VANCOUVER is about $800K or more, that's completely ludicrous and anyone who says it's livable is smoking the crap BC is known for...weed.

I still do want to move there..but under the right circumstances...I'm not about to live the life of a starving artist surrounded by wealthy Asian money-launderers just to say I'm in BC. It's nice but not that nice.

That's my take.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:43 PM

Oh one more thing....we have a 3 year time limit to move there..so after May 2011, we lose our residency...

Old 06-04-2010, 06:38 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,555,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUNEMLA View Post
I still do want to move there..but under the right circumstances...
I'm really curious to know what is the attraction for you? What is your reason for wanting to live in Vancouver?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm really curious to know what is the attraction for you? What is your reason for wanting to live in Vancouver?

I love bay-style living. That's the biggest attraction.

I enjoy the fact that BC is so green and beautiful. The people are a lot more mellow too there.

But I have to be honest with myself at the same time...all those things do not pay the bills. I have to feel comfortable with my finances to live there...or anywhere for that matter. There are acceptable and unacceptable levels at which one can justify moving to another location.

I love the Bay area in SF too...but I won't move up there because I simply will not live well there.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:22 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,555,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUNEMLA View Post
I love bay-style living. That's the biggest attraction.

I enjoy the fact that BC is so green and beautiful. The people are a lot more mellow too there.

But I have to be honest with myself at the same time...all those things do not pay the bills. I have to feel comfortable with my finances to live there...or anywhere for that matter. There are acceptable and unacceptable levels at which one can justify moving to another location.

I love the Bay area in SF too...but I won't move up there because I simply will not live well there.
Kunemla, why haven't you considered the Seattle area then? You could have bay style living, lush green beauty, friendly mellow people, more affordable housing and more potential for the kind of salary you're looking for. There isn't all that great a difference between Seattle and Vancouver, in some ways they are almost like sister cities, even the climate and recreational resources are very similar.

However, something that would be very different is that in Seattle you wouldn't have the single payer health care system that Canada has. Of course, you still don't have that where you are now anyway so you wouldn't be missing it.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:28 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,366,800 times
Quote:
Kunemla, why haven't you considered the Seattle area then? You could have bay style living, lush green beauty, friendly mellow people, more affordable housing and more potential for the kind of salary you're looking for. There isn't all that great a difference between Seattle and Vancouver, in some ways they are almost like sister cities, even the climate and recreational resources are very similar.
I just wanted to post the same question.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,961 times
Quote:

no particular reason, it just seems to be one of the nicer Canadian cities. I have recently started to consider Toronto, considering it would be closer for our family to visit. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:20 PM

705 posts, read 546,187 times
Quote:
no particular reason, it just seems to be one of the nicer Canadian cities. I have recently started to consider Toronto, considering it would be closer for our family to visit. I would appreciate any suggestions.
All Canadian big cities are very nice (we know there are not a lot of them though), so it really depends on what your preferred lifestyle is. It is important that before you move, you do enough homework in deciding which is the ideal city for you to settle in.

Vancouver obviously has the mildest weather, the most beautiful environment, laid-back lifestyle, and all the nice outdoor stuff. However, keep in mind that the job market is relatively small and there is a lot of competition. Salary will be lower than a similar-sized US city. Real estate price is close to that in San Francisco (i.e. prepare to pay 1 million for a two story house, which is the median price). A lot of Asian faces.

Calgary doesn't have an agreeable weather but it is the richest province in Canada. A lot of high paying jobs (at least a couple of years ago), but mostly related to the oil/gas industry. I never considered it a "big city" in the traditional sense, however, it is growing into one, I believe. I hope it will become comparable to the Big Three soon.

Toronto is close to east coast US and the great lake cities. It is the biggest city and has the most diversified economy, most job opportunities and relatively high income. It is basically a typical north American city without much unique charm/character but more work culture compared with Vancouver. However, it is a nice place to live and raise kids, with all the city vibe we would expect. Housing prices are moderately high.

Montreal being mostly French might be a challenge for most English speakers. Although you can get by by speaking only English, it wouldn't be as easy as if you speak both languages. Economy there is not doing good for decades, and infrastructure is kind of ... old. However, it is probably the entertainment center in Canada and a fantastic charming place to live. Real estate prices are reasonable, but wages are lower than Toronto and Calgary.

Not sure if I am only saying things you already know. Hope it is helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver