Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:50 PM

40 posts, read 116,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlug View Post
What an idiotic comment!

Also for those who are qualified; there are plenty of $100k jobs in the lower mainland.
I'd love to know where those jobs are...I'm more than qualified but alas such salaries allude me in BC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 08:03 PM

40 posts, read 116,948 times
There is no doubt that the average diet of Americans is probably one of the worst in the west world...perhaps in the world.

But to say that Americans don't have a choice in getting high quality products any more easily than Canadians do is complete stupidity.

Perhaps ON AVERAGE the quality of foods in Canada is slightly better than what is offered in the US. However, just like in Canada, if you spend more, you'll get better quality food. End of story. There's a rather shi-shi-foo-foo market in Vancouver near the harbor (I forget the name) that I frequented everytime I was there. It's even more expensive than Whole Foods which is already overpriced. Yeah you can get great stuff there....all organic, yuppie blah blah blah....

So as Ziosite says...you do get what you pay for...regardless of what country you live in. You can be as healthy and as diet conscious in the US as anywhere else. Believe me, I'm no US pusher...far from it...but this topic about food not being available as high quality is complete BS.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:39 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magagi View Post
Zoisite, we are an Italian family. It means that I cook almost from scratch. I think that can make a huge different in our grocery budget. And, I do agree with you when you said that it is a lame concern driving Kilometers for a nice and affordable market. i realize that when I was driving 20 km to go to cotsco to buy parmigiano and extravergin oil I go there once a month but still......
Please, keep posting. ANYTHING can help us (one way or the other).
Thanks for taking the time!
Magagi, I agree with the advice that Da Grouch (Ron) gave to you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Grouch
I'm thinking you'd do well to consider Coquitlam or Poco 'cuz you don't have to cross the river to get to work. Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge is another consideration. The new bridge across the Pitt River is up and running so the horrendous lineups during the morning and afternoon commute are a thing of the past now. With the new overpass at Coast Meridian you can also get around the jam ups on the Mary Hill bypass and through the Pt. Coquitlam core as well. I can make it from Maple Ridge to the Poco side in about 10-12 minutes at 07:30 in the morning.
If your family is oriented towards family community events, outdoors recreation/activities and a mix of suburban life combined with a bit of rural and agricultural life in close commuting proximity to Burnaby then the Port Coquitlam-Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge areas may be a good thing for you to look at. They have all the amenities, shopping centers (including farmers markets, ethnic shopping and specialty shops and malls), provincial parks, sports complexes, community events, libraries, fantastic natural scenery and lakes, lots of water to play in, etc. (Maple Ridge also has a lovely Aquatic & Leisure Center - you can google "Maple Ridge Leisure Center" - as well as having a reknowned Equestrian Center).

Sorry I can't tell you about daycares, but from having lived in all 3 of these sister towns (and having sent my now grown kids to school in Maple Ridge) I can tell you that the schools in all three of these towns should meet with your satisfaction. Here are the wiki links to these three towns for your perusal, something for you to start with for ideas. They are all on the north side of the Fraser River, as is Burnaby, and the commute to work is not as stressfull as it would be if you resided on the south side of that river.

Port Coquitlam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pitt Meadows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Maple Ridge, British Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-11-2010 at 02:59 AM..

Old 06-15-2010, 09:45 AM

354 posts, read 1,217,892 times
DON'T Move, you will regret it.

Average food costs are 50% higher than US. The beef tastes like cardboard. And all the Canadians living close to the border shop in the US to save money. The gas prices are too high and the weather is absolutely horrendous. We have had only one day this year so far where the temp hit 70 deg for maybe two hours. None of good doctors will take you as a patient as they are too busy.

So if you like cloudy/rainy skies all the time, want to pay more for food, groceries, car Insurance, ($4000 vs $1600 for 2 cars I was paying in the US), Gas and almost everything else you will love BC.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Reneici,
Thanks for all the info. We were thinking the same .
Looking for a cheap condo or townhome in a nice area and update later.
And I forgot to mention, there is no cheap housing in BC unless you are living in a shack. BC is just about the most expensive place for housing in N. America.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:22 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
Default You have a 100K job offer? must be government

There isn't such an income in this town unless you're either certified in government for a science or CGA, or you're joining the "pumpndump" con artists in Vancouvers' stock market. Or you're the one tracking them down for the FBI--which has an office here in West Vancouver!
And it depends on how you live. Do you make it and the spouse spends it?
26% taxes? That's direct. Everything else is much, much more expensive here. And I mean everything. You will have at the most 60,000. That's a 1,000 a week for a family, plus a small vacation.
Burnaby is, however, an incredible place to live and central to everything.
Quote:
Hi,
we are a family of 5, 2 adults, 3 kids (2 in elementary school, 1 in daycare).
We are looking at renting first and buying later. I have no idea of the cost of living in Vancouver (groceries, bills, daycare....).
What do you think? Will we survive?
Taxes are 26% so we will get 75K at the end, right?

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:15 PM

88 posts, read 302,537 times
@ magagi,

oh you are Italian! Haha sweet yea you'll save quite a bit on food that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUNEMLA View Post
I'd love to know where those jobs are...I'm more than qualified but alas such salaries allude me in BC.
Kunemla,

I understand your frustration in not being able to find a job in Vancouver...but you have to take the fact that you are not even in BC into consideration. Yea your age is also older, which probably has an impact in companies' decisions in whether they want to invest in you or someone younger. But I think it's more of the fact that you aren't even physically here.

I have a couple of friends who recently decided to find a new job and all found well-paying jobs (around 100K, one was a bit lower about 90K) within a few weeks (one even got 6-week vacation). (None of them in the professions thewightguy listed)
My boyfriend also met up with a head-hunter a week ago because he's thinking about switching jobs (he's already in the 100k bracket), and he said not only will he have offers, he will probably also have a few options to pick from.

So just like what fourlog said, these jobs do exist (well, magagi got one) and really aren't THAT rare.

I don't doubt that you are more than qualified, I believe you are really good at what you do!
...but there are others who are more than qualified too and they are physically in Vancouver.

Given two comparable resumes, companies are of course going to prefer choosing someone who is already in BC
(especially if they might have to offer a relocation package to the out-of-town applicant).

Now...if you have something that is spectacularly different and makes you stand out from the pool of candidates who are just as qualified, then yea, companies will be willing to offer you a job even if you are somewhere else (like magagi). I had a friend from Toronto who got offered a 200K job PLUS a relocation package to come to Vancouver, but he made the company believe that his talent was irreplaceable.
Unfortunately, most workers are replaceable.

So you can't really use your situation as an example to judge BC's job market. I think your situation is tougher simply because you aren't physically in Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch123 View Post
DON'T Move, you will regret it.

Average food costs are 50% higher than US. The beef tastes like cardboard. And all the Canadians living close to the border shop in the US to save money. The gas prices are too high and the weather is absolutely horrendous. We have had only one day this year so far where the temp hit 70 deg for maybe two hours. None of good doctors will take you as a patient as they are too busy.

So if you like cloudy/rainy skies all the time, want to pay more for food, groceries, car Insurance, ($4000 vs $1600 for 2 cars I was paying in the US), Gas and almost everything else you will love BC.
Yea...The weather is dreary most of the time in winter. Gas, car insurance, etc are more expensive.
With the current currency exchange rate...yea Canada is more expensive.
(funny.....I still remember the days when things were much more expensive in the US before the US dollar plummeted.)

The only thing I wanted to say was that the weather has been just gorgeous the past week....beautiful sun. It has been amazing. I have to say...Vancouver's summer is like paradise on earth.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:00 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
and the industry you friends are in is.........???????

Old 06-16-2010, 10:51 AM

24 posts, read 62,544 times
Thanks a lot for your answers guys! That really helps.
We are going to move this summer. We started packing and finding a place to stay. It is kind of hard because we need to look at schools also. I know the area has excellent schools , we just dont' want to end up in a "not nice" neighrhood.
The job is in burnaby and we are looking at this area, plus port Moody and Coquitlam.
I thing I already said we are a low profile family. We love being outdoor and cook together. The only extra expenses we have monthly are the kids swim lessons (beside morgage, bills, groceries and preschool for 1 kid). I am aware of the taxes on items (I think it's 12 %) so it is more expensive that Colorado (8%) but I am confident we can make it. This job is a great opportunity and i am afraid we will regret it. Embrace life
Please keep posting, thnaks!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneici View Post
@ magagi,

The only thing I wanted to say was that the weather has been just gorgeous the past week....beautiful sun. It has been amazing. I have to say...Vancouver's summer is like paradise on earth.
Where was this? Certainly, not in Vancouver.

Monthly Weather Forecast for Vancouver, Canada - weather.com

Daily Observation Data | Canada's National Climate Archive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver