U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:58 PM

620 posts, read 1,337,339 times

Advertisements

You gather from this brief interview with Katie Couric the commitment that Ellen has to being Vegan.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 05:17 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,647,929 times
Thanks for the vid, D. I wish we, agriculture, could educate and show people that its not "all that". I'm embarrassed to be associated w/people who portray our industry in a bad light. I respect Ellen, but I also feel she is not well informed...and it's not her fault.

I appologize for the missbehaved in the ag industry. I hope you realize that it is but just a few that tarnish the whole.

I do wish you well and have a good weekend.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:46 PM

425 posts, read 676,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Thanks for the vid, D. I wish we, agriculture, could educate and show people that its not "all that". I'm embarrassed to be associated w/people who portray our industry in a bad light. I respect Ellen, but I also feel she is not well informed...and it's not her fault.

I appologize for the missbehaved in the ag industry. I hope you realize that it is but just a few that tarnish the whole.

I do wish you well and have a good weekend.
Capt Cave Man, what is Ellen not well informed about? I think she has a pretty good grasp on the conditoins facing the majority of animals raised in factory farms. Factory farms produce the vast majority of dairy, eggs, and meat in the U.S. If you Capt Cave Man are not running a factory farm, but instead are raising "happy meat" or free range eggs than that is an impovement for the animals....it doesn't erase the other issues Ellen raised, for example, livestock's massive carbon footprint. If you do raise animals in a more humane way that's great, however, that is not how the majority of animals are raised....it just wouldn't be sustainable. Factoty farms exist because there is simply no other way to meet such massive consumer demand for animal flesh as well as eggs and dairy.

Last edited by Drowningintherain2; 06-18-2010 at 06:55 PM..

Old 06-18-2010, 07:03 PM

11,151 posts, read 9,545,481 times
Good for Ellen for speaking out about the abuses in factory farming and her reasons for being vegan! (LOL @ the idea of "animal rights" sounding like animals asking for the right to vote ..... )

Here are some of the sources she referenced:

Skinny *****

Diet for a new America

Food, Inc.

Earthlings

And, of course, California Happy cows!

Read. Watch. Learn. Be informed.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:16 PM

Drown, she is not informed about how most animals are treated. From first hand experience, it is not what you see on tv. I don't know what else to say, except I'm in it and am not look'n at it from the tv. Sorry I'm not intelligent enough to explain.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post

Read. Watch. Learn. Be informed.
Exactly.

Thank you.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:15 PM

11,151 posts, read 9,545,481 times
Another excellent source book is Fast Food Nation, which is also available on DVD.

Again: Read. Watch. Learn. Be informed.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-18-2010 at 09:55 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 06:24 AM

7,360 posts, read 7,444,637 times
the fast food nation movie is actually a fictional story. it is based on the book and does have stuff about the fast food industry and its suppliers, but it's not a documentary. kinda weird.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:45 PM

11,033 posts, read 9,557,522 times
GOOD FOR ELLEN! I think that "Food Inc" is a good "starter film" on the subject, although Ellen says "i'ts nothing"- I could not watch it and I found it to be disturbing.

Most pigs are not eben dead when they are put into the scalding water.
Same for chickens.

Uggh...

Old 06-21-2010, 07:03 PM

11,033 posts, read 9,557,522 times
Have to add though, i have to wonder how Ellen can endorse Cover Girl cosmetics, when they are owned by Procter & Gamble?
I still like he but....see this link. Ellen DeGeneres Fights Animal Cruelty But Plugs CoverGirl? ecorazzi.com :: the latest in green gossip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food