Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:28 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,216 times

Advertisements

I posted this in another forum but thought it might be of interest to any vegans and vegetarians.

I would suggest Marmite as a fantastic source of vitamin B12 - it's a British product that can be found in the "International/British" section of most larger supermarkets.

It is a yeast based product, it's quite salty and can be used as a spread on sandwiches or toast, dissolved in hot water as a drink or used as a seasoning in gravies.

It has a very distinct flavour and people either love it (like me!!!) or hate it!

Marmite - Love it or hate it

If you use it as a spread then use it SPARINGLY!!!!! It has a very strong flavour!

My American husband tried it in England - and initially he hated it - partly because he used WAY too much on his toast. But now he loves it and often has marmite on toast as a snack or for breakfast!!!!!

If you find that you like it (and it often takes people a few times to really get a taste for it) then it is an excellent source of B12.
Attached Thumbnails
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 01:00 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
i love marmite! but yeah, it can't be emphasized enough how little you need. if you put it on like it's jam you will have a very unpleasant experience. you want to spread it on super thinly like it's butter/margarine and you're on a diet, and use it in conjunction with margarine or butter. even then it's not for everyone.

one way i like to have marmite is spread thinlyon toast with better than cream cheese on top. that would be a good way to try it for the first time, i think. you can also spread it on bread you're using for various sandwiches. there are various recipes out there using marmite as well.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:39 PM

784 posts, read 3,120,664 times
I just can't get used to the stuff. And I'm a Brit.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:41 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Forget Marmite - I get MY B vitamins from good ol' Vegemite = ) (great for a hangover too - not that I'd know, cough cough)

Old 07-30-2010, 08:10 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,789 times
"Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six-foot-four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich"

Old 07-30-2010, 02:33 PM

784 posts, read 3,120,664 times
I thought Vegemite was the same thing as Marmite till I read this: Vegemite beats Marmite hands down. Now I want to taste Vegemite. Can you buy it here?

Old 07-30-2010, 11:00 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
If "here" is the States - yeah - either online - google aussie food online - or you can get it at World Markets if you have one where you are.

Oh and don't believe that link as far as "slathering" it on...... The ONLY person I know that can eat Vegemite slapped on thick like jelly is my daughter LOL. Most of us prefer it on bread (or toast) and butter with a THIN smear of Vegemite. It can be overpowering if laid on too thick.

I guess if you're a vegan you wouldn't necessarily use butter.........maybe a substitute? I've never had it without the butter.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:12 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,216 times
Mmmm - I love Vegemite too

I grew up on Marmite but really loved having Vegemite when I was in Australia and New Zealand!

Very different flavours - but both great

Old 08-01-2010, 07:48 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,002 times
I prefer Vegemite to Marmite. It's milder and much, much easier to spread. Marmite is sticky like honey and I find I have to keep the lid barely screwed on or else it's impossible to open. Unfortunately, it's hard to find Vegemite in regular grocery stores. The only place I've found it is Cost Plus World Market.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:00 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I guess if you're a vegan you wouldn't necessarily use butter.........maybe a substitute? I've never had it without the butter.
i use margarine, or, as i mentioned in my last post, better than cream cheese (for a non-traditional effect).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food