U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 07:02 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,172,876 times

Advertisements

I work at a large grocery store as a cashier and I sometimes have a difficult time ringing up large amounts of meat and poultry that I know has been murdered. Around Thanksgiving the turkeys all announce "very young turkeys" and I feel like a murderer. I certainly understand that I didn't personally kill the turkey, but, my hands are dirty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 08:49 PM

428 posts, read 1,046,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I work at a large grocery store as a cashier and I sometimes have a difficult time ringing up large amounts of meat and poultry that I know has been murdered. Around Thanksgiving the turkeys all announce "very young turkeys" and I feel like a murderer. I certainly understand that I didn't personally kill the turkey, but, my hands are dirty
I agree, your hands are dirty. I don't know anyone with hands that are totally clean when it comes to animal exploitation. I work in healthcare, all medications must be tested on animals before people consume them. Flu shots are made with eggs. I deal with this because I need a paycheck and I know that I am helping many other people. I work with an extremely marginalised group (IV drug users). I guess I try to look at it as karmically neutral. I don't see the point in me stressing over it. If refused to give out the meds, I would be fired and another nurse/healthcare worker would give them out. I fail to see the up side. In these economic times I would just be happy to have a job and then maybe when things turn around you can look for a career where you don't have to ring dead animals through the scanner....I can certainly see how that would bother you by the way.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:02 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,172,876 times
True true. My main job is in the pharmacy as a RX technician where I didn't really think of what you had said regarding the animal point. This does give me a point to ponder. I do see a lot of people that are vegetarians and I always discuss how nice it is with them. I always enjoy the vegan/vegetarian viewpoint

Old 08-10-2010, 11:42 PM

18,581 posts, read 23,108,269 times
I agree but I do not feel that you are personally responsible for the animals that have been slaughtered. Your mind is troubled which tells me that your hands are not dirty, in the moral sense

You must need a job or I more than suspect that you would not be working at this one.

Here is what I think - this job is disturbing you and you need desparatly to find another job that does not take you in such close proximity to the meat industry
You know in your heart that this is not for you so follow your feelings..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food