U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:18 PM

708 posts, read 1,235,488 times

Advertisements

I would love my daughter to be a vegetarian, but I want it to be her choice when she grows up. I am nervous to feed her no meat right now- she doesn't chew nuts that great- she is 2- and I am definitely nervous to give her any other kind of milk other than organic valley milk- it has so much protein.
She does not eat that much meat anyway and I read she doesn't need all that much- 16grams per day- that is just two cups of milk.
I know I need to get more educated, but she is so young and has tons of growing to do, so changing her diet is nerve-wracking.
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 02:11 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,478,399 times
Jane,
I am a little confused? Do you want your child to be a vegetarian because you believe it is healthier, or because of the animal suffering? If it is because it is healthier then I certainly would not think it was appropriate to wait until she can make her own choices.

I have 3 children, one grown who was raised vegetarian, and two little guys who are being raised vegetarian. For me it isn't a question. A balanced vegetarian diet is far healthier than the alternative. Letting them choose at a young age would be like letting them decide if they wanted to sit and consume and entire bag of potato chips, or eat ice cream for breakfast lunch and dinner, or dictate whether or not they bath, brush their teeth, or play in traffic.

I am sure their are many people on this forum who will be able to provide you with terrific information. In addition, the internet is jam packed with valuable information on the subject. Here is an article I found after a quick google search. I thought an article might do a better job conveying information that I would. Maybe it will be helpful for you in easing your mind and giving you some pointers.

PCRM >> Health >> Vegetarian Diets for Children: Right from the Start (http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/veg_diets_for_children.html - broken link)

Good luck to you and your daughter. I look forward to others responses as I am always looking for some tips myself!

Old 09-25-2010, 06:13 AM

708 posts, read 1,235,488 times
It's just that for myself, it's no question whether I will eat meat or not, but that was my choice.
I will ask her dr. next week what else I need to do before feeding her less and less meat.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:55 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,677,759 times
Vegetarian Diets

the american dietetic association, which is the world's largest association of dieticians says this:

It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes. A vegetarian diet is defined as one that does not include meat (including fowl) or seafood, or products containing those foods.

mods please note - this is from a press release and is therefore not subject to copyright.

that being said, it's up to you whether you want to let your child make their own decision about their diet. personally, as a vegan for ethical reasons, if i have kids i plan on raising them vegan but letting them make their own choices once they are old enough to understand them. of course i'll still be making sure that those choices are healthy ones.

there are lots of vegetarian protein sources other than nuts - beans, soy products, dairy products, and of course you can always serve nuts chopped up or in butter form. and as you've already stated, you really don't need all that much protein. most americans get way more than they need on a daily basis.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:09 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,977,364 times
I am raising both my sons vegetarian. The only exception is fish that they catch and since we are in Arizona, that isn't very often.

For me, I don't understand your hesitation. Being a vegetarian, I couldn't imagine cooking and feeding my children meat. It is absolutely healthy. There is nothing you "need to do" before taking the meat away.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:41 AM

428 posts, read 1,046,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
I would love my daughter to be a vegetarian, but I want it to be her choice when she grows up. I am nervous to feed her no meat right now- she doesn't chew nuts that great- she is 2- and I am definitely nervous to give her any other kind of milk other than organic valley milk- it has so much protein.
She does not eat that much meat anyway and I read she doesn't need all that much- 16grams per day- that is just two cups of milk.
I know I need to get more educated, but she is so young and has tons of growing to do, so changing her diet is nerve-wracking.
Thoughts?
I had no problems raising my daughtrer vegetarian from the time she was 2. I encouraged my older child but let him choose what he wanted when we were out. He chose vegetarianism after a few years. I don't see the problem with choosing vegetarianism for small children. As parents we make choices for our kids all the time. If you give your child meat, you're still choosing for them. I don't think meat eating has to be the default choice.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:54 AM

18,586 posts, read 23,126,842 times
I would be nervouse about FEEDING children meat - not the other way around!
I raised two healthy and happy teens - almost 17 and almost 15 as lacto - ovo vegetarians.
I never said that they could not eat meat a birthday parties or school etc. I just did not prepare it at home. And I told them why. I am mostly an ethical vegitarian who is slowly turning vegan, BTW.

My son is a helthy 6'2 and slender. He has recently adopted a strict vegan diet.
My daughter is 5'4' alender and athletic.
Neither of my children suffered from the usual ear infections as children.
Eating compationatly and healthily is a way of life.

I ade the right choice. Do not listen to others.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:59 PM

16,392 posts, read 13,055,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I would be nervouse about FEEDING children meat - not the other way around!
I raised two healthy and happy teens - almost 17 and almost 15 as lacto - ovo vegetarians.
I never said that they could not eat meat a birthday parties or school etc. I just did not prepare it at home. And I told them why. I am mostly an ethical vegitarian who is slowly turning vegan, BTW.

My son is a helthy 6'2 and slender. He has recently adopted a strict vegan diet.
My daughter is 5'4' alender and athletic.
Neither of my children suffered from the usual ear infections as children.
Eating compationatly and healthily is a way of life.

I ade the right choice. Do not listen to others.
Why don't you let them decide things for themselves?
I went to school and lived in Locust Valley, too!

Old 10-20-2010, 03:03 PM

18,586 posts, read 23,126,842 times
I do not let them make all chices for themselves and never have.
Why would I want to feed the putrfefying tortured flesh of an animal to my childrn?
THEY can eat what ever they want - they do not choose to!
As I wrote, my eldest has taken it further and has become a vegan!
They are not deprived or bullied into being vegetarian.
They have maade a compassionate choice!

What year did you attend LV?

Old 10-20-2010, 03:37 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,799,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
Thoughts?
Because she is only 2 you definitely need to get educated and I can tell you from expereince the sooner the better. I was a vegetarian for many years and tried to introduce a meatless diet to my kids after they were older, it didn't go over well. Currently I have a combination of meatless recipes as well as meat in my diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food