U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,107,541 times

Advertisements

I went completely vegetarian about 3-4 years ago after being on a pescatarian+chicken diet for 5 years. I hadn't noticed until recently, but I have not gotten a full-blown cold in three years. Even the occassional sniffles and watery eyes went away once I stopped eating ice cream and I replaced my cereal/drinking milk with soymilk.

Granted, I still get violent 1-2 day stomach bugs every few months, but I haven't had the common cold in a very long time. Is this something that other veg*ns have experienced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 09:49 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,412,454 times
Yes, they disappeared - especially once I started adding more raw foods (green smoothie every morning) to my diet.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:07 PM

18,586 posts, read 23,131,512 times
Yes I have! Eating more fruits and veggies has also helped. Dairy of any sort is becoming rare in my diet - as is the common cold!

Old 12-29-2010, 01:53 PM

7,103 posts, read 9,309,160 times
Vegetarian is not helpful enough for me because dairy irritates my sinuses too much. If I lay off dairy AND meat AND sugar, I am free of the dreaded rhinovirus.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:37 PM

146 posts, read 309,698 times
I don't get sick often at all. I did catch an infection earlier this month, but I was in the hospital for a bad leg injury, and being under strain and in such a germy environment, I'm not surprised I got sick. It cleared up after a day or two though.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:10 PM

16,936 posts, read 22,211,257 times
Being healthy and having a strong immune system will reduce illness. Getting all the nutrients, etc., you need, will accomplish this regardless of diet. Reducing contact with people helps too.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 PM

5,127 posts, read 10,243,029 times
I very rarely get sick. Eating lots of veggies and fresh fruit is important, but I also think avoiding the flesh of dead animals helps. You are what you eat.... IMHO.

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-04-2011, 11:24 PM

5,545 posts, read 1,805,646 times
I've been a vegetarian for many years, and I haven't gotten sick in a long time. *knock on wood*

Old 01-05-2011, 02:37 PM

1,884 posts, read 4,108,505 times
When the kids were pre-school to about 3rd or 4th grade, I'd get a nasty cold(kneel'n or sit'n at the throne) about every yr. Since then I've had no problems. We probably ate better when they were young then we do now, due to sports and other school activities.

So I say it has to be the neighbor kids' fault!!!

Since the kids are older, harder to wrestle, I now have the chiropractor on speed dial.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:35 PM

107 posts, read 193,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
When the kids were pre-school to about 3rd or 4th grade, I'd get a nasty cold(kneel'n or sit'n at the throne) about every yr. Since then I've had no problems. We probably ate better when they were young then we do now, due to sports and other school activities.

So I say it has to be the neighbor kids' fault!!!

Since the kids are older, harder to wrestle, I now have the chiropractor on speed dial.

Same experience with pre-school germs here. Son was always sick and bringing it home. Then I started homeschooling and we stayed healthier for a little while. Then the kids from swim team and scouts would attend everything sick and pass it on to our family. Why don't people stay home when they get sick?

I became a vegetarian about 4 years ago and keep telling my family that I never get sick because of my nutrition. I haven't had a cold since although my meat eating husband and son (now in college) eat as much meat as they can get. They get EVERYTHING that's going around...often getting 2 very bad colds per winter each plus the flu and I stay healthy through it all never catching it from them. So I believe veggies have improved my immune system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or