U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:21 AM

216 posts, read 707,650 times

Advertisements

I order mushrooms from http://www.pistolrivermushrooms.com/
I had ordered only s h i t a k e from them last year and they were great! And the price is right and service excellent. This time I ordered a larger variety and my package should be here Monday. I had ordered mushrooms from other sites before but pistolriver was the best so far.
I am also still searching every day for new sources for food items that I was used to buying just around the corner when I was still living in the city.
Sites for stuff I buy that I can recommend so far:
http://seaveg.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index
http://www.sproutpeople.com/

some sites I haven't tried yet but looking into
Raw From the Farm
Welcome to Tropical Traditions
Vermont Fiddle Heads, Raw Food Market

and a good resource for finding small farms and farmer's markets:
Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 06:54 PM

16,936 posts, read 22,202,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrikeV View Post
I moved to Delmarva from Berlin, Germany 5 years ago and I am desperately looking to relocate, preferably along the northern East Coast, mainly because of the weather and the hunting culture.
I can't stand it any longer, aside from living within the country's (and possibly world's) highest density of chicken factory farming (and seeing the trucks every day...) I am fed up with waking up to gun shots on a quiet weekend morning and casually browsing through TV channels just to constantly bump into more and more "outdoor" programs on regular (non-cable) TV stations.
Everybody is armed to their eyeballs and ecstatic about any type of animal "hunting season" beginning on a certain date.
I didn't think I was so "squeemish" before I moved here, I'm not a complete vegetarian and I let my cats hunt, they're carnivores and it is their strongest instinct. But I don't see humans sneeking around bushes looking for baby rabbits and then biting straight into them. I don't believe it is our nature and culture. And my neighbors and their "thrill of the kill" culture frightens me.
Until now I thought this was maybe Delmarva specific (especially the TV shows) but obviously not.
So is there a more rural area anywhere in the U.S. where hunting and killing is not on top of the lifestyle list?
Hunting is big in pretty much every rural area in the U.S. and Canada too. Including the Northeastern U.S. Vermont (last I heard Vermont has the second highest per capita number of hunters), New Hampshire, Maine, in the Northeast, have big hunting cultures in the rural parts, as do even MA, CT, NJ, MD...

Humans are omnivores, or, to put it another way, natural hunter-gatherers, so hunting is quite natural for humans just like a cat, as is gathering nuts, berries and so forth...

Old 11-09-2010, 07:20 AM

18,586 posts, read 23,122,267 times
No Delmarva is not unigue. I live in North Eastern PA now and there are cable chanels for the "outdoorsman" here as well.
Since I live in a small city I do not see the slaughter houses or the transport of livestock as they call it, to their death. This would disturb me greatly.
This area is inexpensive - one can buy a house for under 100k in town. There is a wonderful supermarket in the area called Wegman's, a Vegetarian cafe called Eden, and a rather large vegetarian society.

My instinct is tempered by my intelect and I am not a cat so I do not see the comparison or the connection between humans and cats. I am happy just gathering thank you.
I have never been tempted to run out and kill my dinner.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:14 PM

428 posts, read 1,046,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Hunting is big in pretty much every rural area in the U.S. and Canada too. Including the Northeastern U.S. Vermont (last I heard Vermont has the second highest per capita number of hunters), New Hampshire, Maine, in the Northeast, have big hunting cultures in the rural parts, as do even MA, CT, NJ, MD...

Humans are omnivores, or, to put it another way, natural hunter-gatherers, so hunting is quite natural for humans just like a cat, as is gathering nuts, berries and so forth...
That is descriptive rather than prescriptive. I could care less about what is "natural". That is not a good arguement for doing much of anything IMO. I think killing other people could be "natural". Having sex with many others, possibly against their will could be "natural". I don't think these are moral things to do however. Most humans live lives that I certainly wouldn't describe as "natural" anyway....not that there is some definition about what is natural living anyway...seems pretty subjective to me.

Edited to add: I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a pro/anti humting thread. It's just a pet peeve of mine when I see the word "natural" used to describe some actvity that humans do. I don't think it's relevant to whether or not we should do something and the fact that if I ask 10 different people to define "natural" I'll get 10 different answers tells me it's not very descriptive.

Last edited by Drowningintherain2; 11-09-2010 at 02:45 PM..

Old 11-10-2010, 04:37 PM

16,936 posts, read 22,202,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
That is descriptive rather than prescriptive. I could care less about what is "natural". That is not a good arguement for doing much of anything IMO. I think killing other people could be "natural". Having sex with many others, possibly against their will could be "natural". I don't think these are moral things to do however. Most humans live lives that I certainly wouldn't describe as "natural" anyway....not that there is some definition about what is natural living anyway...seems pretty subjective to me.

Edited to add: I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a pro/anti humting thread. It's just a pet peeve of mine when I see the word "natural" used to describe some actvity that humans do. I don't think it's relevant to whether or not we should do something and the fact that if I ask 10 different people to define "natural" I'll get 10 different answers tells me it's not very descriptive.
The post I responded to stated it's not in our nature to hunt, which is incorrect.

If it's okay for any other omnivore to hunt, it's okay for humans to do so.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:18 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I was a vegan for a long time and then my husband joined the air force and we got stationed in Minot, ND. This is a small town with nothing nearby and I find it difficult to find ingredients and spices for all my vegan recipes now. I miss being able to go to whole foods and find some obscure thing and just buy it. Now I ask for arrowroot powder and people look at me like I have asked for a 50 pound gold bar. Any book of recipes or website where I could get recipes that do not involve anything weird or reguire a meat or dairy substitute because I also can't find those anywhere, either.

<*ahem*> ^^ Topic of the thread ^^ <*ahem*>

Let's stay on it, please.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:26 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,411,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I was a vegan for a long time and then my husband joined the air force and we got stationed in Minot, ND. This is a small town with nothing nearby and I find it difficult to find ingredients and spices for all my vegan recipes now. I miss being able to go to whole foods and find some obscure thing and just buy it. Now I ask for arrowroot powder and people look at me like I have asked for a 50 pound gold bar. Any book of recipes or website where I could get recipes that do not involve anything weird or reguire a meat or dairy substitute because I also can't find those anywhere, either.

This one has always worked for us:

VegWeb.com - Vegan Recipes and Cooking Tips

Old 11-15-2010, 01:49 PM

5,127 posts, read 10,241,093 times
You might want to check out the new cookbook called "Supermarket Vegan" by Donna Klein. Vegan on the Cheap by Robin Robertson is also a good one with simple, easily available ingredients. And I second Vegweb.com. So many great recipes!!! I love that site.

forum rules, please read them

Old 11-16-2010, 02:23 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,765,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post

Brilliant!! I agree! (btw..I hate hunting and the hunter caveman mentality)

On topic - there aren't very many rural places that don't have hunting. Basically anywhere that there are woods, and Government sanctioned hunting grounds - you will have hunters hunting anything that breathes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food