Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 09:51 PM

180 posts, read 312,299 times

Advertisements

For several reasons, I'm seriously considering a vegetarian diet. Certain produce I'd like to consume regularly don't digest as I'd like. I've done some Googling on the subject, finding what foods are typically the worst and that heating makes them digest better. What I'd most like to ask here is if I could expect to digest the food better with time or if preparation and food type remain dominating factors, but other tidbits on the subject could be useful too. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 06:12 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Cool NO dairy ~ NO fake food !

IMHO you might have good results in eliminating bloating if you avoid all dairy foods and all processed products containing fake anything !

You absolutely have to read all labels and know what you are eating.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:54 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,847 times
You sound like a great candidate to try a raw vegan diet...no bloating there!

Old 11-07-2010, 03:07 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,000 times
yes, i heard that dairy may cause bloating...! it did for me... but along with many other foods, wheat flour... etc... coffee too, which i still drink because i like it but do not like the effects of it afterward...
i mean, how stupid am I!!! oh well.
eggs always got to me too.

breads are really bad too... but certain things are just hard to give up and change.

I am really trying to eat no breads except for very much specialty breads, that have no yeast, sugar, of course no eggs/ milk etc...
but then, eating foods that are ... not really processed and just Real Food, is simpler just a change from what "society" "tells" us in adversing and such that we such be eating,... *this one is better than that one... studies have shown*... etc....

anyway, eating more raw! or just lots more veggies...? maybe that will help ya!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,556 times
Starches, protein (even basic herb-seasoned tofu cubes), and steamed veggies make me bloat. Heating does not stop a food from making you bloat. Your body will adapt to vegetarian foods but vegetarians generally bloat much more than omnivores--no matter how long they've stopped eating meat. I read on a forum that you can drink hot water steeped with raw ginger and cinammon prior to eating to reduce indigestion, or you could muddle mint leaves with a sugar/honey/agave syrup + water to reduce bloating. I haven't tried either of these remedies.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:04 AM

947 posts, read 3,409,000 times
Oh, those are great ideas Kristin!!
you are way ahead of me!
thanks for posting those suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food