U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:55 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,679,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I wish someone would start a thread about these grains, or pseudocereals, as I am very interested in learning how to incorporate them in meals.
I'm an omnivore, but am always looking for healthier ways of eating.
Dont have a clue as to what to do with quinoa or amaranth.
i believe there was a thread about what to do with amaranth. you can cook it and eat it like rice or put it into things like cornbread. quinoa functions a lot like rice too. i'll see if i can find and top that amaranth thread. there might be ones about quinoa too, actually.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:02 PM

613 posts, read 1,000,365 times
Sometimes I read & respond to vegetarians in vegetarian forums, because if I see a false statement or propaganda being spread around, I like to offer a differing opinion for debate, or just to get people to think. Often veg's are so convinced they are 100% right (or that being an omnivore is the worst, most evil, and unhealthiest thing in the world).. and I just try to inject a little balance into the conversation. As soon as a group starts isolating themselves, that is when a sense of superiority often kicks in, and that is when facts can start getting distorted because they want to cut out all feedback from 'outsiders'. As long as veg's understand that it may work for them, but not for everyone, and they respect that, I'm fine with it. It's necessary to maintain an open dialogue, just like with anything in life.
I also want to remind veg's that they are in danger from anemia... something I had to find out the hard way. So it's important they stay on top of that. I've seen too many vegetarians who are spaced-out, weak, sickly, rigid in their thinking, and wasting away from lack of red blood cells and oxygen going to their brains (myself included!),, which can lead to (or, increase!) rigidity of thinking and bad judgment.
That being said, I make a ton of meatless recipes.... and got a huge education from the great vegetarian cookbooks (moosewood, etc..) and don't consume meat 3x a day!

(signed- an ex-vegetarian who got deathly ill from going veg)

Old 01-09-2011, 10:28 PM

5,127 posts, read 10,243,029 times
Of course just being vegan or vegetarian doesn't mean you will have a healthy diet, one can live of vegan cupcakes and sodas.... or processed meat substitutes and white rice or noodles. Eating a variety of foods is the key and as little processed foods as possible.
Regarding anemia... strange that I was anemic as a child even though my mother fed me meat, dairy and eggs. Yet now I am vegan and have perfect iron levels... My husband had high cholesterol levels and borderline high blood pressure before he was 20! Now he is 48 and has perfect levels, eating a vegan diet. Neither one of us are on any type of prescription. Works perfectly for us... even though health is only second to ethical reasons for our diet. There is no way I would ever go back to eating the flesh of other sentient beings for any reason.

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-11-2011, 09:43 AM

18,586 posts, read 23,131,512 times
katzenfreund makes a very good point - simply removing meat or animal products from your diet will not make you healthy.

Technically, existing on a few veggie burgers a day, a bagel with soy cream cheese and a few bags of potato chips and soda pop is vegetarian, but it certainly will not win any awards in the health department.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,107,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
katzenfreund makes a very good point - simply removing meat or animal products from your diet will not make you healthy.

Technically, existing on a few veggie burgers a day, a bagel with soy cream cheese and a few bags of potato chips and soda pop is vegetarian, but it certainly will not win any awards in the health department.
Good Lord, this sounds like me. Though I love the taste of most vegetables I despise the texture of a lot of raw/steamed foods and have to force myself to eat them a few times a week. However, I also hate junk food & the taste of chemicals so I mostly stick to a veggie burger/pasta/bread/soup diet. As for the arguments between vegetarians and omnivores in this forum, I think it has more to do with the occasional omni telling veg*ns that we aren't healthy unless we ingest animal products than anything on a "moral" level. As you said Sheena, choose the right foods for your diet as a veg*n OR omni and you can be extremely healthy.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:58 PM

...even if people eat veggie burgers every day, no doubt those are healthier for you than dead cow burgers. And if you love pasta, eat the whole grain pasta and a tomato/veggie sauce, much healthier than a lot of meals people eat every day

Old 01-11-2011, 11:01 PM

This guy makes a lot of GREAT points about the foods we eat... long but worth watching....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4

Old 01-12-2011, 01:13 AM

2,879 posts, read 4,604,052 times
I'm granting this is a very narrow case of particularly challenging circumstances, but I've mentioned elsewhere that I help care for someone with genetic kidney disease. Dialysis, among other things, robs the blood of protein, so the renal diet is protein heavy, and otherwise also very limited. Rice is fine but beans are high in phosphorus (also bad in excess since it robs the bones of calcium), as are almost all other common ingredients to create a complete protein. It's counter-intuitive, but white bread is better than whole grain too because of the phosphorus. Whole grains, brans and nuts are out. It's difficult. Dietary replacements are just not common, and there's usually too much sodium (another bad) to make them palatable. And this is someone who was a picky eater to begin with.

So, yeah, he gets meat and processed grains, absolutely to keep him healthy. Again, this is a very specific example. But it's a type of case that some people may not know about, and if we're speaking of ethical absolutes then you have to consider the exceptions. I offer personal experience that it's sometimes just not black and white at all.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:15 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,107,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I'm granting this is a very narrow case of particularly challenging circumstances, but I've mentioned elsewhere that I help care for someone with genetic kidney disease. Dialysis, among other things, robs the blood of protein, so the renal diet is protein heavy, and otherwise also very limited. Rice is fine but beans are high in phosphorus (also bad in excess since it robs the bones of calcium), as are almost all other common ingredients to create a complete protein. It's counter-intuitive, but white bread is better than whole grain too because of the phosphorus. Whole grains, brans and nuts are out. It's difficult. Dietary replacements are just not common, and there's usually too much sodium (another bad) to make them palatable. And this is someone who was a picky eater to begin with.

So, yeah, he gets meat and processed grains, absolutely to keep him healthy. Again, this is a very specific example. But it's a type of case that some people may not know about, and if we're speaking of ethical absolutes then you have to consider the exceptions. I offer personal experience that it's sometimes just not black and white at all.
Horrible experience for your acquaintance/relative/friend. However, it does sound like with a lot of discussion with a dietician, a person with this disease could remain vegetarian/vegan while being required to eat foods that taste terrible. Something to consider if someone is very ethically opposed to eating meat.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:55 AM

2,879 posts, read 4,604,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Horrible experience for your acquaintance/relative/friend. However, it does sound like with a lot of discussion with a dietician, a person with this disease could remain vegetarian/vegan while being required to eat foods that taste terrible. Something to consider if someone is very ethically opposed to eating meat.
Oh, yes. Of course, there's constant communication with the dietician, given his limited eating habits along with his difficult nutritional targets. He's not veg*n, and even if he or we wanted him to be I'm just saying that in the real world people have to make choices based on what's feasible, not what's possible. I'm certainly not saying a renal veg*n diet is impossible. But he won't eat seitan, and even if he did there are amino acids that we'd have to make up in other ingredients--ingredients he also either won't eat or which contain higher concentrations of phosphorus or potassium. It's a very careful balancing act already.

So he eats regular portions of a full protein (fish, poultry or meat) to keep him alive. It's a choice and I defend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food