Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 08:14 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times

Advertisements

I'll have to guess at who you're referring to, but are you sure that member is vegetarian?

Old 12-27-2010, 08:30 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
In the second thread, I don't see anyone saying hunting is wrong-people are just saying why hunt animals for meat if you don't like the taste of them. As for the first thread, being opposed to hunting doesn't necessarily mean someone is vegetarian. And I've never seen vegetarians going into everyday food forum posts about hamburgers or whatever and telling people they shouldn't eat meat. But the opposite happens pretty regularly in this subforum.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I come to the vegetarian forums because I'm interested in vegetarian foods. Period. I am NOT interested in the vegetarian lifestyle, the vegetarian religion, the vegetarian morals/ethics, the vegetarian anti-vivisection crew, the vegetarian holistic medical viewpoint. I'm interested in the FOODS.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-27-2010 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Deleted rude comments.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
In the second thread, I don't see anyone saying hunting is wrong-people are just saying why hunt animals for meat if you don't like the taste of them. As for the first thread, being opposed to hunting doesn't necessarily mean someone is vegetarian. And I've never seen vegetarians going into everyday food forum posts about hamburgers or whatever and telling people they shouldn't eat meat. But the opposite happens pretty regularly in this subforum.
I have to agree that I haven't seen vegetarians on the regular CD food forum arguing about the morality of eating meat. I have seen on this board omnivores arguing with vegetarians over their choice to abstain from eating meat, though.

On a sub-note about vegetarians posting on hunting boards, I have different perspectives on what is and isn't appropriate to argue in an open forum. A vegetarian posting negatively about hunters who kill for food in an omnivore forum would be akin to a vegetarian arguing against anyone who chooses to eat hamburgers or chicken; in essence, the vegetarian's post would be arguing about what other people choose to eat. That is flat out impolite and discourteous. However, I was in the self-sufficiency forum reading a thread about raising chickens (I am vegetarian and would like to have a coop in the future) and someone started talking about "how to drown raccoons that try to eat your chickens." I was definitely not reading the thread to find ways to argue against the main topic, but I had to speak up against the animal cruelty that was being advocated. I was called out as being an "extremist troll" when I am anything but! You have to pick your battles.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:18 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I come to the vegetarian forums because I'm interested in vegetarian foods. Period. I am NOT interested in the vegetarian lifestyle, the vegetarian religion, the vegetarian morals/ethics, the vegetarian anti-vivisection crew, the vegetarian holistic medical viewpoint. I'm interested in the FOODS.
Sounds like you might've missed this post. It's a sticky. It is partially titled "Please Read!"

http://www.city-data.com/forum/6078056-post1.html

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-27-2010 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 12-27-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Sounds like you might've missed this post. It's a sticky. It is partially titled "Please Read!"

http://www.city-data.com/forum/6078056-post1.html
If that's to actually be enforced, then I submit it doesn't belong in the FOOD AND DRINK category. It belongs in debates, or politics, or religion, or "other." People come to the foods category of city-data because of some interest in food. If I want to hear about lifestyles, I go to a category dedicated to lifestyles. If I want to hear about politics, I follow suit. The same with religion.

If it is to be enforced, but not moved out of the FOOD AND DRINK category, then I submit that category title needs to be changed.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:09 PM

442 posts, read 1,296,941 times
Quote:

im not going to name call, because i a a 25 year old adult. but what i will do is point out the observation that to me, it makes no sense to exploit animals for our use because it is unnecessary. i eat a healthy diet without eating animals or their byproducts. im perfectly sane. to me it is irrational to eat meat, because humans are not carnivores. it is irrational, but i do not think meat eaters are insane. i merely think they havent quite figured out the truth yet, which is understandable. people in my friends and family, my inner circle eat meat! i dont criticize them or anything, i let them live their lives.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-27-2010 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 12-27-2010, 01:58 PM

Humans are also not herbivores. They are omnivores. We have molars to grind hard things, incisors to rip flesh, and softer front teeth to nibble with. Our digestive systems are designed to digest animal and vegetable proteins, as well as a variety of fish, fowl, and certain dairy - including actual real life milk (albeit from another human's breast, but it still qualifies as actual real dairy milk).

But again - the entire discussion of which is sensible, and which is not, and which is a preferred "lifestyle" and which is moral/ethical kind/cruel - has NOTHING TO DO WITH FOOD.

And as such, does not belong in a city-data category called Food and Drink, when there are MUCH more appropriate places for those kinds of discussions to go.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:01 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
Quote:
My suggestion to you, then, is to simply not click on threads that aren't specificially titled as recipes or food-related.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:01 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
But again - the entire discussion of which is sensible, and which is not, and which is a preferred "lifestyle" and which is moral/ethical kind/cruel - has NOTHING TO DO WITH FOOD.

And as such, does not belong in a city-data category called Food and Drink, when there are MUCH more appropriate places for those kinds of discussions to go.
this is pretty ridiculous. the subject of food is intertwined with moral, ethical and emotional issues. even in the general food and drink forum, there are discussions of ethics (the sustainability of different types of fish, locavorism, etc), health issues, and emotional associations with food. i don't think there's anything wrong with that kind of discussion being there nor do i think there's anything wrong with it being here. both forums mainly consist of discussions of actual food and recipes, but there is room for related discussion in both.

when it comes to vegetarianism, the vast majority of vegetarians have a reason for being vegetarian besides just liking vegetarian food and/or not liking meat. when we talk among ourselves, those reasons are going to come up, social issues relating to interaction with omnivores are going to come up. although really, the subject of why we are vegetarian comes up most often in response to people who come here to criticize our choices.

as dark of the moon said, if you don't want to read threads about the ethical/lifestyle side of vegetarianism, they are very easy to avoid, and there are lots and lots of threads that are just about vegetarian food. i do think it's great that people who eat meat come here to check out or ask for vegetarian recipes.

Last edited by groar; 12-27-2010 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food