U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:30 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,718,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/13864851-post3.html

wild game questions

Some examples. I could pull up more. Many of the offending posts on the various threads have been removed though of course. There's always the extremists in any crowd, I wouldn't say the majority are that way...I've run into some extremists while out hunting...the extremists scare me...
I looked at the threads you posted and didn't see any vegetarians posting??? So now I am confused.

There are many many many threads on the "main" food forum that specifically involve steak or hamburger or whatever...and I just avoid them. How hard can that be?

I do participate in "general" food discussions that appeal to me. Veggie or non-veggie.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:57 PM

16,935 posts, read 22,202,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I looked at the threads you posted and didn't see any vegetarians posting??? So now I am confused.

There are many many many threads on the "main" food forum that specifically involve steak or hamburger or whatever...and I just avoid them. How hard can that be?

I do participate in "general" food discussions that appeal to me. Veggie or non-veggie.
Someone who would write "I posted it because I HATE people that shoot any animals unless they just use a camera." isn't your typical hunter/meat eater type though. That other thread was locked and IIRC the offending posts removed...I could pull up other examples if so many of the posts by animal rights spammers (the ones who join primarily to spam all the forums with such posts) weren't deleted...

Old 12-29-2010, 07:55 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,115,713 times
Quote:
Someone who would write "I posted it because I HATE people that shoot any animals unless they just use a camera." isn't your typical hunter/meat eater type though.
Most of my meat-eating friends (and most of my friends DO eat meat) are not hunters. Being opposed to hunting does not make a person vegetarian and, on the flip side, being a vegetarian doesn't necessarily make someone opposed to hunting.

So now, can we get back to the topic of THIS thread, which is:

"Why would non veg*ns post on a vegetarian/vegan subforum?"

Thanks!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 PM

3,111 posts, read 6,993,715 times
Because you don't have to be a vegetarian to enjoy vegetables.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Someone who would write "I posted it because I HATE people that shoot any animals unless they just use a camera." isn't your typical hunter/meat eater type though. That other thread was locked and IIRC the offending posts removed...I could pull up other examples if so many of the posts by animal rights spammers (the ones who join primarily to spam all the forums with such posts) weren't deleted...
Those "spammers" usually don't post here, in the Food and Drink:Vegetarian and Vegan Food forum though.

I mean, those types of people are usually just surfing to cause trouble and are usually banned pretty quickly.

THIS particular forum is for people who love to cook and who love to eat...but just happen to eschew meat products. We ~sometimes~ veer into ethical/spiritual/moral topics, but mostly the focus is on sharing good food and what we are cooking/eating. I think you'll find the "regulars" here pretty welcoming as long as you are equally respectful.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,265,068 times
As an omnivore, why should I not post on a vegan/vegetarian forum? (I say this hypothetically, as I've never actually posted in this forum until now). Trolls will be trolls, be it here, or there, on this forum, that forum or wherever. I'm not a vegan or vegetarian but I still like vegan and vegetarian dishes. I like spinach and tofu and bacon and ribs and damn near everything in between. Meat comprises probably 10ish percent of my diet give or take, and even though I doubt I'll ever be 100% off meat, I still can see the value in a balanced diet.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Most of my meat-eating friends (and most of my friends DO eat meat) are not hunters. Being opposed to hunting does not make a person vegetarian and, on the flip side, being a vegetarian doesn't necessarily make someone opposed to hunting.
Excellent point! Some of my meat-eating friends are vocally anti-hunting....which I find perplexing.

I, personally, am ok with hunting, done in a humane manner ( i.e. no "canned" hunts).I understand that we humans have kind of thrown-off the balance of nature (destroyed many natural predators) and that without controlled hunts the populations of certain animals (e.g. deer) would spiral out of control. Allowing sick, over-bred, under-fed animals to slowly starve to death does not exactly meet my criteria for "humane".

I also have a sr. dog in my household who is pretty much allergic to ~everything~....except venison. Everyday when I see her eating happily and pet her soft and glossy coat I silently thank the hunter who provided for her.

Quote:
So now, can we get back to the topic of THIS thread, which is:

"Why would non veg*ns post on a vegetarian/vegan subforum?"

Thanks!
I would HOPE it's because the poster wants to add more plant-based food to their diet.

Whether it's for health reasons or environmental concerns or whatever....I'm always happy when someone asks me how to prepare a certain vegetable...or how to cook beans...or how to improve the texture of tofu.

I find vegetarian cooking exciting and creative and am fine with curious meat-eaters venturing into this forum.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:02 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,294,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
im not going to name call, because i a a 25 year old adult. but what i will do is point out the observation that to me, it makes no sense to exploit animals for our use because it is unnecessary. i eat a healthy diet without eating animals or their byproducts. im perfectly sane. to me it is irrational to eat meat, because humans are not carnivores. it is irrational, but i do not think meat eaters are insane. i merely think they havent quite figured out the truth yet, which is understandable. people in my friends and family, my inner circle eat meat! i dont criticize them or anything, i let them live their lives.
This is a pretty good example of why non-vegans and non-vegetarians would post on this forum... This post, like many or most of the topics covered here, just beg for debate.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:40 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,252,036 times
Quote:
I could pull up other examples if so many of the posts by animal rights spammers (the ones who join primarily to spam all the forums with such posts) weren't deleted...
I know such posts exist, because I've read them. But they are not allowed on this sub-forum. Those who care to instigate arguments, not debates, are the ones who post here solely for that purpose.

Like you said, there are extremists of all kinds and there are those who like to instigate flame wars simply because they disagree or are dismissive of others' ideals, morals, opinions or even something as benign as a diet. They post here just to make sure we veg*ns know how very wrong we are. They consciously look for something to criticize and 'correct' - correct at least in their own minds.

I just don't find that the regular posters here, on this sub-forum, try to insult others just because they can. I've read many recipes on the other Food Forum, that are easy to veg*nize, and have utilized those recipes. See, how easy that is! [jk ~ ]

Like we've said before, we can learn a lot from each other by sharing ideas, etc. And we can also choose to not engage in arguments and let each other live their lives as they see fit. That's why this forum was created - to share - and why there's a separate forum for debates.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:31 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,673,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
This is a pretty good example of why non-vegans and non-vegetarians would post on this forum... This post, like many or most of the topics covered here, just beg for debate.
most of the threads here are about FOOD - recipes, menu ideas, sources of nutrients, and various food products. there are a few about the reasoning behind being vegetarian, but as i said earlier, most posts on that subject are in response to people who come here with the intent to tell us how to live our lives.

or do you think a recipe for black bean tofu "begs for debate" too? somehow vegetarians manage to hold themselves back from going to discussions of meat in the food and drink forum to tell people what their diets should be - it would be nice if omnivores would afford us the same courtesy. debates about whether or not it's a good idea to be vegetarian can take place in the great debates or political forums, not this one.

Last edited by groar; 12-30-2010 at 10:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food