U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:48 PM

7,444 posts, read 6,443,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
I am transitioning right now to vegetarian, and it is interesting. The world looks different to you and looks differently at you.

How have you changed?
Interesting, indeed. I moved to a diet where I normally make lacto-ovo vegetarian choices, unless my preferences are inconvenient for another. Mostly I stopped eating to kill animals, because I object to the way our food industry treats animals that supply our food.

I see the world the same, I just eat differently. I've never been able to see the world through another's eyes, nor how the world looks at me.

Maybe I should be asking for your food plan....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 01:57 PM

7,444 posts, read 6,443,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Not really. Considering that a single grass-fed cow could provide a family of four enough beef for close to two years and, for the same amount of vegetable/grain based calories, thousands of small mammals and other animal species will be displaced, killed and/or maimed and/or poisoned during their cultivation, it's disingenuous to seriously consider vegetarianism as a more ethical lifestyle choice.
I don't really care what your food choices are, but I did find your point interesting. Did you consider the environmental impact of a grazing cow for the period of time it takes to grow it to the point where it will feed a family of four for almost two years?

Do you understand that most of your commercially available beef does not come from grass-fed cows?

I also was not sure how you came to the conclusion that thousands of small mammals and other species might be displaced, killed, or maimed. Did you mean because of the farming practices? I would certainly agree that the huge agri-business farms could incorporate more environmentally, habitat protective practices into their business, but I was wondering where you got the "thousands"?

Old 02-08-2011, 04:08 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,112,238 times
<*ahem*>

I'm pretty sure that this was the OP's question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
I am transitioning right now to vegetarian, and it is interesting. The world looks different to you and looks differently at you.

<*snip*>

How have you changed?

Any chance we could get this thread back on track, please, and answer the question that was asked?

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2011, 04:34 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,681,014 times
I've changed since going Vegan, my fancy new leather belt fits better.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:54 AM

214 posts, read 609,175 times
The biggest change for me was, I stopped eating meat.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:54 PM

69 posts, read 121,015 times
Slowly but surely leaning towards vegetarianism, perhaps eventually veganism. I'd say my ratio is 60/40 now. I hope to eliminate meat soon. I have found that my food costs are lower and, if you buy your food from an organic food store or farmer's market, you don't need to worry about pesticides and ingredients you can't pronounce.

I am hoping to find a way to gain and keep weight (I weight 205 and want to gain 20 - 30 pounds) without the use of animal products--or soy products. If I can find a way to do that, I'll swear off meat.

Cattle are actually overpopulated on the planet, and are the greatest contributors to greenhouse gas emissions. To this end, cattle are tortured from the day they are born, injected with strange chemicals designed to make the grow faster, fattened up with corn (which cattle are not designed to eat), feces and bits of other cows and then killed by a machine--The steak on my plate looks appetizing, but given this, I've begun to have second thoughts about eating it.

I don't have a "pie in the sky" hope of converting everyone in the country or on the planet to some form of vegetarianism or veganism--that is just plain ridiculous, and not sustainable. I do believe however, that people should be more concerned about how the food got from the "farm" and too their plates.

Maybe there should be a sticky thread for advice on becoming a vegetarian or vegan...

Old 03-12-2011, 06:00 PM

16,319 posts, read 16,425,891 times
I am only a part time Vegetarian, eagerly trying to transition into becoming a full time Vegan. I still have the guilt of eating animal flesh, it is really shamefull and I am trying to stop this in the future. I actually had a Vegan lunch of Brazil nuts, so I am doing better, feel a lot less guilty, it is really hard.

My Vegetarianism is coming along nicely, I eat eggs for breakfast....WITHOUT ANY MEAT so I guess that qualifies me as being a Vegetarian, although I usually eat mainly meat for my other 2 meals....and I feel horrific when I do this. Me being a Vegetarian has made me feel very light and spritual, feel like I have reached some sort of Nirvana.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:24 PM

5,439 posts, read 14,739,298 times
I have more energy and am happier.

Good job and keep up the effort in giving up meat. It is really not hard. If you are having trouble , we can recommend meat free meal replacements. Personally, I would suggest trying to go 100% vegetarian before thinking about vegan because Eggs, milk and cheese are easy replacements for meat and if you try to change too much too quickly it may make it too hard on yourself.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-16-2011 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Merged two posts

Old 03-18-2011, 11:00 PM

16,319 posts, read 16,425,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I have more energy and am happier.

Good job and keep up the effort in giving up meat. It is really not hard. If you are having trouble , we can recommend meat free meal replacements. Personally, I would suggest trying to go 100% vegetarian before thinking about vegan because Eggs, milk and cheese are easy replacements for meat and if you try to change too much too quickly it may make it too hard on yourself.
Thanks, and I plan on having another fully Vegan meal pretty soon, maybe a meal of mixed nuts. So I fall down sometimes, I had a large steak tonight, I need the iron. But.....I feel that I am almost justified in calling myself a Vegan or maybe a part time Vegan.....I have been eating some Vegan meals lately.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:47 AM

296 posts, read 453,354 times
Well, basically I feel better than ever physically and emotionally. I'm at peace in knowing I don't eat animals anymore. I have more energy, less cravings, less bloating, less headaches and stomach pains, better skin, faster growing hair and nails. I could go on. This lifestyle is more than ideal for my body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food