U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 03:50 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,398,553 times

Advertisements

I never liked tofu but it's been yrs since I tried it so thought I'd give it another chance. I bought extra firm, squeezed out liquid, cut into 1" pieces and sauteed with broccoli, onions and seasonings. Served over rice. Tastes good but the tofu is spongy and that's exactly why I didn't like it 15 yrs ago when I tried it. Is there a way to cook it so it's less spongy and more firm? I cooked it quite a long time, tasting along the way. Always tasted spongy even after browning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 06:31 PM

155 posts, read 268,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I never liked tofu but it's been yrs since I tried it so thought I'd give it another chance. I bought extra firm, squeezed out liquid, cut into 1" pieces and sauteed with broccoli, onions and seasonings. Served over rice. Tastes good but the tofu is spongy and that's exactly why I didn't like it 15 yrs ago when I tried it. Is there a way to cook it so it's less spongy and more firm? I cooked it quite a long time, tasting along the way. Always tasted spongy even after browning.
Try draining it then freezing it. The freezing changes the texture and also causes it to soak up flavors quicker .How to Freeze Tofu - LoveToKnow Vegetarian

Old 12-16-2010, 07:14 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,993,846 times
You can also try roasting it. (and also cutting it a little smaller) I like to toss mine in a mix of a few drops of olive oil, Braggs, and a few herbs before roasting. It will still be a bit spongy in the middle, but the outside should be nice and crisp.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:52 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,475,726 times
I like extra firm, crispy tofu so I always buy nigari tofu which comes in firm blocks in plastic, not in a tub of water. It cooks crispy when stir-fried. I don't like it frozen since it comes out with a porous texture which I don't like.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:18 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,398,553 times
Thanks all. I did freeze it first so that didn't help. I have to look for the nigari because that sounds more like what I'm looking for.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:51 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,697,551 times
I'll tell you how I used tofu. I used to love fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy. Sooooo, I cut tofu into sizes similar to chicken, dipped it in a bowl of a few stirred eggs, then dredged it in flour w/salt/pep/paprika (or however you liked to make it), and then pan fried it in some olive oil. I made gravy out of the oil left in the pan (added oil as needed), and voila, fried chicken and gravy (for the homemade mashed potatoes). Yum, yum. It tastes SO similar to the real thing.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:10 AM

2,542 posts, read 5,993,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
I'll tell you how I used tofu. I used to love fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy. Sooooo, I cut tofu into sizes similar to chicken, dipped it in a bowl of a few stirred eggs, then dredged it in flour w/salt/pep/paprika (or however you liked to make it), and then pan fried it in some olive oil. I made gravy out of the oil left in the pan (added oil as needed), and voila, fried chicken and gravy (for the homemade mashed potatoes). Yum, yum. It tastes SO similar to the real thing.
The Passionate Vegetarian has a similar recipe, but more entailled. You marinate it over night with a garlic rub, and the breading has crushed corn flakes, flour, spices, and more garlic (I think). It also has you breading it twice. Messy, many-stepped, but soooo good! I will have to try it the simple way you mentioned above.

You know, another good way to find a way to enjoy tofu is to find a really good vegetarian restaurant and describe the way you like tofu (or the way you don't) and see what the waiter suggests. If you like the entree, then you can try to mimic it at home. Just an idea.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:18 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,276,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Thanks all. I did freeze it first so that didn't help. I have to look for the nigari because that sounds more like what I'm looking for.
Also, you might try to find an Asian food store that makes fresh tofu. The fresh sort only lasts a few days at most, and cannot be frozen - you're left with the 'spongy' stuff. I promise you, there's a world of difference between fresh and what's in our supermarkets.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:19 AM

2,671 posts, read 2,804,053 times
I've been freezing the extra-firm while still in the package with the water. So it's better to drain first, then freeze? I've been making mock chicken salad and I love it. However, I do like WholeFoods mock chicken salad better. Has anyone tried it? If so, do you have any idea how to get that flavor/taste?

Old 02-22-2011, 11:36 PM

4,977 posts, read 4,521,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcda View Post
Try draining it then freezing it. The freezing changes the texture and also causes it to soak up flavors quicker .How to Freeze Tofu - LoveToKnow Vegetarian
Thanks for the link! I had never thought about freezing my tofu. I'll just use half of the package and freeze the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food