Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 AM

84 posts, read 196,085 times

Advertisements

how long have you been one and when was the last time you ate meat? does it disgust you or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 10:39 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
I'm not quite vegetarian, but I cut drastically the amount of meat I eat (No chicken, turkey, pork, generic eggs ...brrr, sorry) after I got acquainted first hand how it's grown and slaughtered. When I see chicken meat, a thought about vomiting immediately crosses my mind. Industrial farming is destructive and insane, modern industrial animal farming is immoral (both towards animals and people) on top of that and it's just disgusting. If you'd see all those wounds, tumors, featherless spots, crooked legs on feces covered chickens, whose biologically white feathers turned yellow from all that Moderator cut: language, a "tasty" KFC meal may stuck in your throat.

Life feeds on life. It's just the way this world runs. However, there is something deeply troubling about industrial feeding on life.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-06-2010 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 02-06-2010, 10:43 AM

282 posts, read 526,234 times
Watch FOOD INC. it will make you think about what you are eating thats for sure!

Old 02-07-2010, 01:51 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuljago View Post
how long have you been one and when was the last time you ate meat? does it disgust you or something?
It's been a few years for us. There was a big meat recall, so we didn't eat meat one day, and then just decided not to eat it again. I never liked killing animals anyway and so I felt good about not eating meat.

I think if you do eat meat, hunting is a much more humane way of obtaining it.

Meat doesn't disgust me though. If someone else wants to eat it, that is entirely up to them. I made a personal decision. It works for me, that's all.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:36 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I'm not quite vegetarian, but I cut drastically the amount of meat I eat (No chicken, turkey, pork, generic eggs ...brrr, sorry) after I got acquainted first hand how it's grown and slaughtered. When I see chicken meat, a thought about vomiting immediately crosses my mind. Industrial farming is destructive and insane, modern industrial animal farming is immoral (both towards animals and people) on top of that and it's just disgusting. If you'd see all those wounds, tumors, featherless spots, crooked legs on feces covered chickens, whose biologically white feathers turned yellow from all that [mod]language[/mod], a "tasty" KFC meal may stuck in your throat.

Life feeds on life. It's just the way this world runs. However, there is something deeply troubling about industrial feeding on life.
Don't get me started on KFC. Seriously. Do. Not. Get. Me. Started! They have a special kind of cruelty. Just... ARGH!

Every time I see one of their commercials, I have to pick up my sweet little birds and give them kisses.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:30 AM

628 posts, read 2,070,248 times
I have been a vegetarian for 13 years, vegan for 6 months.
Ethical and more recently Environmental. The ethical part weighs more heavily on my mind though.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:51 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
i stopped eating meat when i was 12 for ethical reasons. i didn't think it was right to eat animals.

i stopped eating dairy when i was 22 because i object to factory farms on a lot of different levels - ethical, environmental, even humanitarian. i guess technically i'd eat eggs & milk that came from humane farms or from animals i raised myself, but i don't have any pet goats or chickens and i don't feel the need to bother seeking out dairy sources that meet my standards. i'm fine being vegan. i can't see myself eating meat ever again.

i am now 31, i'll be 32 soon. i guess within a year i'm due to go raw or something, eh?

Old 02-08-2010, 10:15 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
I have been a vegetarian for 40 some years.

My reasons have ranged the full spectrum of physical, emotional, and spiritual.

But now I am a vegetarian just because I don’t eat meat.

I don’t feel any need to justify or explain my diet to myself or anyone else.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:00 PM

8 posts, read 17,407 times
I started 28th of December.
I read the book Eat to Live.
But do own supersize me..which effected me a few years back.

I have tried to go vegan but it is too hard at this point as my husband still eats meats and will never give it up.

I stopped as I figured it would help me motivate myself loss weight as I have gained about 50 lbs this past year or so.

I am down 16lbs at this point 6 weeks later..LOVE it.

I still eat cheese once and a while..I did give up milk..but cheese is harder for me to give up for some reason.

I havea major sugar tooth so I have just cut back as much as I can.

We are moving to the country so I am hoping I can grow my own garden to help me out even more.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:24 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Over 20 years for me.

I don't miss it and I'm happy and healthy. Why mess with a good thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food