Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 03:18 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times

Advertisements

I would really like to go vegan for ethical reasons. However, I have a medical condition (IBS) that prevents me from eating certain foods. Basically I need to avoid soy, insoluble fiber (which includes beans), and whole grains.

As these foods make up the core of the vegan diet, I feel rather at a loss. I'm sure I could go vegan without these foods...but I'm not sure I could stay healthy.

Is this is a hopeless mission, or can you be vegan and healthy without these things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 03:21 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I would really like to go vegan for ethical reasons. However, I have a medical condition (IBS) that prevents me from eating certain foods. Basically I need to avoid soy, insoluble fiber (which includes beans), and whole grains.

As these foods make up the core of the vegan diet, I feel rather at a loss. I'm sure I could go vegan without these foods...but I'm not sure I could stay healthy.

Is this is a hopeless mission, or can you be vegan and healthy without these things?
Have you tried consulting a nutritionist? I think you'd probably find it invaluable.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:28 PM

261 posts, read 497,292 times
Quote:

I'd say yes. Though I'm a fan of whole grains such as quinoa and bread on a regular basis, occassionally I go off on produce only diets and even juice fasts here and there for 7 to 10 days at a time. You could try that even part of the week to see how your system deals with it. All the best to you.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:04 AM

167 posts, read 856,958 times
You should check out the Raw Vegan Diet instead. I think that will solve all of your obstacles and is extremely healthy and moral. Just Google "raw vegan" or search it on YouTube, or check out David Wolfe. If you're really into it, I guarantee you'll be fascinated by it and will spend hours if not days finding out more info.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:00 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I have been trying to go vegetarian/whole foods. Nothing processed. And have been having some intestinal adjustment problems to this healthy food diet. I guess my lazy digestive system is just used to processed food. I have been making veggie soup, and putting it in the food processor to make it easier...

Old 05-02-2012, 12:04 PM

167 posts, read 856,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have been trying to go vegetarian/whole foods. Nothing processed. And have been having some intestinal adjustment problems to this healthy food diet. I guess my lazy digestive system is just used to processed food. I have been making veggie soup, and putting it in the food processor to make it easier...

It's possible there will be an adjustment period. I'm not sure how long you've been transitioning to the vegetarian/whole foods, but even if it's a bit rough at first, I'm sure you will be much better off that with a SAD diet (Standard American Diet). I didn't have too much adjustment, although there was a bit of detoxification - it was a lot more intense when I did a long term juice fast. But once I got through it, I was fine and felt great. Good luck, enjoy!

Old 06-14-2012, 01:47 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,650 times
I am pro vegetarian, that is eat a lot vegetarian, some fish and chicken, no beef. I do love a vegetarian diet and was drinking green smoothies but recently purchased a juicer. They are different, as a smoothies maintains all the fiber, juicing does not and goes into your blood faster. I blend/juice mostly vegetables but add a banana or green apple for sweetness. I have mild IBS, so when I eat/drink to much fiber, I know it. Watch the popular movie Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead about this issue and maybe try juicing as opposed to blending. The recipe from that movie is kale, apple, cucumber, celery, lemon & ginger.

Mean Green Juice Recipes | My Juice Cleanse

Old 06-16-2012, 12:57 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
However, I have a medical condition (IBS) that prevents me from eating certain foods. Basically I need to avoid soy, insoluble fiber (which includes beans), and whole grains.
Have you tried eating these foods within the context of a plant-based diet? You may find that it is the animal-based foods, instead of the plant-based ones, that are causing the digestive problems....

Old 07-13-2012, 03:09 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,650 times
I follow some "healthy" threads and this one is from Dr Axe. He's also on YouTube. I like his approach on a healthy diet. I feel raw foods and vegan diets are to extreme, at least for me at my age.

I don't know how others do it when the spouse does not eat healthy. It's a real challenge with DW being a junk food/SAD diet eater. She has gotten better through the years only because of me.

Should You Be a Vegan or Vegetarian? » » DrAxe.comDrAxe.com

Old 07-13-2012, 03:19 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
There is never any harm in re-evaluating your diet from scratch to see what is causing your IBS symptoms. You might be surprised. IBS is like ADD -- it's a garbage-can diagnosis that can mean a million zillion different things. I had to RAISE my insoluble-fiber intake while eliminating dairy and a bunch of other allergens to clear up my IBS symptoms. The raw-vegan suggestion is an excellent one -- run to the nearest library and grab up a copy of Rawsome! by Brigitte Mars to see how very many foods you CAN eat on that diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food