U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:35 AM

83 posts, read 102,718 times
Default Vegan Ham????

So, with Easter coming I am looking for an alternative to the Easter ham.
Last year I did a type of nutloaf which was good but I'm sick of it. I had it Thanksgiving, Christmas etc.!
I read about Vegan Ham being available online at the cosmo vegan shoppe. People seem to like it...

Has anyone HERE tried it? If so, what's your opinion?
I'm not a big fake meat eater but I'd be willing to try it if it came recommended. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 10:44 AM

7,906 posts, read 5,655,030 times
I've used vegetarian "ham" in things like sandwiches before. It's best when it's in thinner slices as opposed to big pieces. A local Vietnamese restaurant makes a vegetarian banh mi (Vietsandwich) with fried tofu and sliced vegan ham that's amazing.

If there's a Chinese or Vietnamese grocer around you, they will probably have some good veggie ham. There's one company called Homey (I know... hilarious ) that makes a pretty good frozen one.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 03-20-2011 at 11:01 AM..

Old 03-20-2011, 10:49 AM

There's a place in NYC called May Wah that carries a bunch of faux meats. Did you ever hear of/try that one?
I'll google "Homey". lol. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegEm View Post
There's a place in NYC called May Wah that carries a bunch of faux meats. Did you ever hear of/try that one?
I'll google "Homey". lol. Thanks.
Nah, unfortunately, I didn't get there during my time in NYC...

In Oakland's Chinatown, there's a place called Layona Health Food Market that is a little Chinese-owned shop... it's nothing but meat substitutes, and it all costs about half what you'd pay for something at a major store. I'm sure there's probably a place like that in NYC, somewhere.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:45 AM

11,151 posts, read 8,933,204 times
There's a product called Vegieone "mock pork". I haven't tried it, and I don't know how readily available it is, but if you can find it -- it might be worth a try.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:49 PM

Thanks! That looks pretty realistic...scary but good...lol.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
There's a product called Vegieone "mock pork". I haven't tried it, and I don't know how readily available it is, but if you can find it -- it might be worth a try.
You can get that stuff at any Vietnamese grocer. Costs $1.29-1.99/can. They actually have a ton of canned mock meat... seriously: pork, chicken, duck, fish, abalone, beef, lamb, beef tendon, etc.

Most of it tastes okay as long as it is marinaded in a sauce for at least a couple hours. The stuff was canned in Vietnam and has been sitting in the goopy syrup it swims in for months or years, and has a very fibrous flavor to it. I, personally, find the flavor on its own to be unappetizing; not disgusting, but not anything I'd go out of my way to eat.

That company has some fried gluten which I use in stir fries frequently.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:22 AM

Hmmm I never even saw a Vietnamese grocer around here. But that's good to know. I go into Philly once in awhile and I'm going to NYC in 2 weeks so I can look around there.

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:03 PM

2,381 posts, read 4,443,652 times
A vegetarian restaurant called Loving Hut (its a chain maybe its in your area) sells huge logs of veggie ham, they have a small refrigerated grocer section. It was vietnamese I think as well but I threw away the label lol. Its not canned either, which I prefer. But probably any asian grocer might have alternatives as well.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:31 PM

No Loving Huts very close but could be worth a road trip.
I just googled it and there is one in Philly! The menu looks awesome. Thank you!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food