U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you feel vegetarian diets are healthy?
Yes, it is healthier because it includes more fruits and vegetables 35 89.74%
No, it's not healthier because people substitute large amounts of carbohydrates for meat 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2011, 09:30 PM
 
349 posts, read 789,844 times
Reputation: 259

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I have different views. First, I absolutely respect regular, vegetarian and vegan diets. 100%. Eat what thrills you.

Regular Diet - Lots of endless choices and far too many people aren't skilled at making good choices. Meat is not the issue for me. I have no issues with meat. My issues are with additives, preservatives, chemicals, HFCS, food processing and the lies that are fed to us through big business, advertising and government. Eating a regular diet is a crap shoot and most people aren't paying enough attention to the risks.

Vegetarian Diet - God love 'em. I respect them and encourage them but a part of me can't help but feel that they just don't see the whole picture. (No offense intended, I promise!) This is the group where the entire issue lies with meat. Animal products are okay, except for meat. I agree that, especially today, a vegetarian diet is healthier than the Regular Diet, but to have the whole issue be only about meat, well, that's just not a clear picture.

Vegan Diet - I'm not a vegan but I've done years of research and learned that a Vegan Diet is probably one of the healthiest ways to eat. There are so many variations here, though. Some vegans are raw, some include oils and nuts, some don't. Some use honey, others won't. Being a vegan takes an incredible commitment, belief system, desire and focus. I love their passion! I tried it for a month and felt the best I'd ever felt in my life. It's also expensive. I would have continued if I could afford it.

But, nonetheless, veganism has two points against it.

#1. The militants who shove it down everyone's throats. Animal rights activists who are so extreme that they'd rather a human be hurt than an animal. I believe animals should be treated kindly and not abused, but that's just basic human kindness. The militant extremists, like PETA, do more harm than good. (To them I say, "If you love animals so much, stop eating all their food!")

#2. Genetically modified foods. Heard of Monsanto? Their goal is for all organic food and home gardens to be illegal. Most people don't realize how close they came to accomplishing that until Michelle Obama planted her own garden at the White House. They don't want a natural seed left to plant. As it is, there isn't any natural soy left. All soy is 100% modified and only safe in small doses, like one helping a week. Our soil is depleted of natural vitamins and minerals. Fruits and veggies are NOT as nutrient dense as they use to be. The pesticides, fertilizers and many other random chemicals are also dangerous and can't be washed off effectively. Did you know that when you buy an apple from the grocery store, there's a great chance that that apple has been in storage for up to a year with the aid of chemicals?

Lastly, one personal feeling I have about vegetarianism and veganism is this: STOP with the meat substitutes already! Eating them only shows that you MISS MEAT and that what you've chosen to eat isn't enough. If you've committed to a life without meat, then own that decision and lay off the tofurkey, soydogs, "chicken" patties and no meat meatloaf! You're not supporting veganism or vegetarianism, you're just making a company that found a weakness rich! And all of these organic foods you can buy.... why are they so expensive? If they're organic, that means that there are no chemicals, preservatives, additives, processing, etc., It should be cheaper but the organic industry is gouging the consumers. Where's the outrage for that?
*clears throat* haven't been on in a while but felt as a new vegan (after almost a year vegetarian), i should reply to this post. while i do agree with some of what you say, i think that for some vegetarians, they are/were unable to switch from an omnivorous diet to a vegan one overnight. however, those that are content with their vegetarian diet probably aren't doing it solely for the animals anyway.

this brings me to the "PETA" hating... i once believed that PETA was the root of all evil and completely insane until i saw what they were doing and felt what they felt. once i put myself into their shoes and empathized with their cause, i could understand the helplessness they feel when pleading to the blissfully ignorant. it would be enough to drive me to pour paint on a $10,000 fur coat knowing it likely came from somewhere where foxes were skinned alive.

on to the mock meat... again, some people can't go cold "tofurky". some people just need that transition food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2011, 03:42 AM
 
1,434 posts, read 2,111,299 times
Reputation: 772
IF I was vegertarian I would only eat Indian food. It is the only type of fod that actually makes vegertarian food taste good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2011, 08:59 AM
 
68 posts, read 133,289 times
Reputation: 26
Being a vegetarian has absolutely NOTHING with being healthy! I know plenty of vegetarians that are overweight, some celebrities too!

You can eat all the veggies and healthy foods you want but if you pig out on sweets and junk food then there is NO way you're going to be healthy lol

One thing has nothing to do with the other yet people mistake it to be one and the same.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
IF I was vegertarian I would only eat Indian food. It is the only type of fod that actually makes vegertarian food taste good.
Middle eastern food is also so good. Remember they have all those spices too. And a lot of other Asian food, besides Indian food, is too, like chinese and Japanese and Thai. I know most people think vegetarians only eat veggies but, no. I HATE vegetables and I am a vegetarian lol. Foods from those countries I mentiod are great and they taste awesome.




Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I have different views. First, I absolutely respect regular, vegetarian and vegan diets.

Vegetarian Diet - God love 'em. I respect them and encourage them but a part of me can't help but feel that they just don't see the whole picture. (No offense intended, I promise!) This is the group where the entire issue lies with meat. Animal products are okay, except for meat. I agree that, especially today, a vegetarian diet is healthier than the Regular Diet, but to have the whole issue be only about meat, well, that's just not a clear picture.
@plain and simple: why would you think vegetarians don't "get the bigger picture"? I don't eat meat because I don't like to eat animals. I don't see what's so hard to understand that or why I am clueless about what "it's all about". Last I checked whatever lifestyle a person chooses it's what it's all about for them. How can you say that you respect vegetarians yet you say you think they don't know what it's about. And about the meat substitute, I eat it because it TASTES good. I've hated meat since I was little so there is no "substitute" needed for me. If they made those "meat substitutes" into dessert shapes and called it ice-cream I would still eat it simply because I like the taste. I don't need a substitute for something I never liked. I happen to hate veggies so these pre-packaged vegetarian foods are a great way for me to eat when I can't cook my own food. I think you are being a little too condescending thinking you know more about something that other people practice and you don't. I don't care for the reasons meat eaters eat meat, that's their prerogative. My mom eats meat and I could never love anyone as much as I adore her. I don't see why so many people have a problem with vegetarians that just don't want to eat animals.

Last edited by mailyn; 06-18-2011 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2011, 03:17 PM
 
1,434 posts, read 2,111,299 times
Reputation: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailyn View Post
Being a vegetarian has absolutely NOTHING with being healthy! I know plenty of vegetarians that are overweight, some celebrities too!

You can eat all the veggies and healthy foods you want but if you pig out on sweets and junk food then there is NO way you're going to be healthy lol

One thing has nothing to do with the other yet people mistake it to be one and the same.






Middle eastern food is also so good. Remember they have all those spices too. And a lot of other Asian food, besides Indian food, is too, like chinese and Japanese and Thai. I know most people think vegetarians only eat veggies but, no. I HATE vegetables and I am a vegetarian lol. Foods from those countries I mentiod are great and they taste awesome.






@plain and simple: why would you think vegetarians don't "get the bigger picture"? I don't eat meat because I don't like to eat animals. I don't see what's so hard to understand that or why I am clueless about what "it's all about". Last I checked whatever lifestyle a person chooses it's what it's all about for them. How can you say that you respect vegetarians yet you say you think they don't know what it's about. And about the meat substitute, I eat it because it TASTES good. I've hated meat since I was little so there is no "substitute" needed for me. If they made those "meat substitutes" into dessert shapes and called it ice-cream I would still eat it simply because I like the taste. I don't need a substitute for something I never liked. I happen to hate veggies so these pre-packaged vegetarian foods are a great way for me to eat when I can't cook my own food. I think you are being a little too condescending thinking you know more about something that other people practice and you don't. I don't care for the reasons meat eaters eat meat, that's their prerogative. My mom eats meat and I could never love anyone as much as I adore her. I don't see why so many people have a problem with vegetarians that just don't want to eat animals.


Lol thanks for the info! I definitely need to meet more Middle Eastern folks. I met a kurd whose wife would cook me grape leave wrapped food and cous cous, it was delicious. I just hate how many Asian dishes use Bamboo which I find nasty. Thai is yummy w/o Bamboo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2011, 04:05 PM
 
68 posts, read 133,289 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Lol thanks for the info! I definitely need to meet more Middle Eastern folks. I met a kurd whose wife would cook me grape leave wrapped food and cous cous, it was delicious. I just hate how many Asian dishes use Bamboo which I find nasty. Thai is yummy w/o Bamboo
Glad to help! Sadly none of my Middle Eastern friends live here but we do have a couple of authentic ME restaurants and their food is great. I highly recommend looking for a ME restaurant near were you live. They eat meat a lot too so it's not only for vegetarians so you will find a lot of great food.

I've not eaten anything with bamboo so I honestly can't say anything about it but you should try the chinese and japanese foods without it. I eat a lot of those and I can safely say none of it has any bamboo in it whatsoever. I think it would probably taste bad? Kind of like wasabi for me. I will NOT touch it with a ten foot pole. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2011, 08:34 PM
 
2,278 posts, read 2,174,190 times
Reputation: 3264
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblaine View Post
*clears throat* haven't been on in a while but felt as a new vegan (after almost a year vegetarian), i should reply to this post. while i do agree with some of what you say, i think that for some vegetarians, they are/were unable to switch from an omnivorous diet to a vegan one overnight. however, those that are content with their vegetarian diet probably aren't doing it solely for the animals anyway.

this brings me to the "PETA" hating... i once believed that PETA was the root of all evil and completely insane until i saw what they were doing and felt what they felt. once i put myself into their shoes and empathized with their cause, i could understand the helplessness they feel when pleading to the blissfully ignorant. it would be enough to drive me to pour paint on a $10,000 fur coat knowing it likely came from somewhere where foxes were skinned alive.

on to the mock meat... again, some people can't go cold "tofurky". some people just need that transition food.
As far as PETA goes, I respect their cause greatly. What I loathe about them are their motives and methods. The cause is noble. The motives and methods are evil and are nothing short of animal worship. NOTHING gives them the right to destroy someone else's belongings. Not even if it's a real fur. That's assault and illegal.

As for the mock meat, you brought up a very good point that I hadn't thought of. Mock meat as transitionary food. I can respect that. Thanks for helping me see that from a new angle!

However, those who continue to eat it for years... then my old thoughts still apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2011, 08:41 PM
 
2,278 posts, read 2,174,190 times
Reputation: 3264
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailyn View Post
Being a vegetarian has absolutely NOTHING with being healthy! I know plenty of vegetarians that are overweight, some celebrities too!

You can eat all the veggies and healthy foods you want but if you pig out on sweets and junk food then there is NO way you're going to be healthy lol

One thing has nothing to do with the other yet people mistake it to be one and the same.
I wholeheartedly agree. And this is what I see most often with vegetarians, hence my earlier comment.


Quote:
@plain and simple: why would you think vegetarians don't "get the bigger picture"? I don't eat meat because I don't like to eat animals. I don't see what's so hard to understand that or why I am clueless about what "it's all about". Last I checked whatever lifestyle a person chooses it's what it's all about for them. How can you say that you respect vegetarians yet you say you think they don't know what it's about. And about the meat substitute, I eat it because it TASTES good. I've hated meat since I was little so there is no "substitute" needed for me. If they made those "meat substitutes" into dessert shapes and called it ice-cream I would still eat it simply because I like the taste. I don't need a substitute for something I never liked. I happen to hate veggies so these pre-packaged vegetarian foods are a great way for me to eat when I can't cook my own food. I think you are being a little too condescending thinking you know more about something that other people practice and you don't. I don't care for the reasons meat eaters eat meat, that's their prerogative. My mom eats meat and I could never love anyone as much as I adore her. I don't see why so many people have a problem with vegetarians that just don't want to eat animals.
First of all, I didn't call vegetarians "clueless" so please don't put words in my mouth. I said they don't see the bigger picture. I said that because simply being a vegetarian doesn't mean a person is going to be healthy -- for exactly the reasons you mentioned in the beginning (about junk food).

I have to admit, I don't understand you being a vegetarian at all. How does a vegetarian hate vegetables? What do you eat besides mock meat? Where does your nutrition come from? Mock meat is processed so it's not very healthy. You don't have to be overweight to be unhealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Ohio
52 posts, read 89,746 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I have different views. First, I absolutely respect regular, vegetarian and vegan diets. 100%. Eat what thrills you.

Regular Diet - Lots of endless choices and far too many people aren't skilled at making good choices. Meat is not the issue for me. I have no issues with meat. My issues are with additives, preservatives, chemicals, HFCS, food processing and the lies that are fed to us through big business, advertising and government. Eating a regular diet is a crap shoot and most people aren't paying enough attention to the risks.

Vegetarian Diet - God love 'em. I respect them and encourage them but a part of me can't help but feel that they just don't see the whole picture. (No offense intended, I promise!) This is the group where the entire issue lies with meat. Animal products are okay, except for meat. I agree that, especially today, a vegetarian diet is healthier than the Regular Diet, but to have the whole issue be only about meat, well, that's just not a clear picture.

Vegan Diet - I'm not a vegan but I've done years of research and learned that a Vegan Diet is probably one of the healthiest ways to eat. There are so many variations here, though. Some vegans are raw, some include oils and nuts, some don't. Some use honey, others won't. Being a vegan takes an incredible commitment, belief system, desire and focus. I love their passion! I tried it for a month and felt the best I'd ever felt in my life. It's also expensive. I would have continued if I could afford it.

But, nonetheless, veganism has two points against it.

#1. The militants who shove it down everyone's throats. Animal rights activists who are so extreme that they'd rather a human be hurt than an animal. I believe animals should be treated kindly and not abused, but that's just basic human kindness. The militant extremists, like PETA, do more harm than good. (To them I say, "If you love animals so much, stop eating all their food!")

#2. Genetically modified foods. Heard of Monsanto? Their goal is for all organic food and home gardens to be illegal. Most people don't realize how close they came to accomplishing that until Michelle Obama planted her own garden at the White House. They don't want a natural seed left to plant. As it is, there isn't any natural soy left. All soy is 100% modified and only safe in small doses, like one helping a week. Our soil is depleted of natural vitamins and minerals. Fruits and veggies are NOT as nutrient dense as they use to be. The pesticides, fertilizers and many other random chemicals are also dangerous and can't be washed off effectively. Did you know that when you buy an apple from the grocery store, there's a great chance that that apple has been in storage for up to a year with the aid of chemicals?

Lastly, one personal feeling I have about vegetarianism and veganism is this: STOP with the meat substitutes already! Eating them only shows that you MISS MEAT and that what you've chosen to eat isn't enough. If you've committed to a life without meat, then own that decision and lay off the tofurkey, soydogs, "chicken" patties and no meat meatloaf! You're not supporting veganism or vegetarianism, you're just making a company that found a weakness rich! And all of these organic foods you can buy.... why are they so expensive? If they're organic, that means that there are no chemicals, preservatives, additives, processing, etc., It should be cheaper but the organic industry is gouging the consumers. Where's the outrage for that?
I don't buy a lot of mock-meats...sometimes I do for my children, and we've made quite a bit of seitan from scratch recently as well. My feelings on this subject vary...I can see both points very clearly, however I don't think there is anything at all wrong with buying or consuming mock-meats. I think that it seems harsh for someone that views killing chickens as murder to want to eat something called faux-chicken, but let's face it, how many of us were actually born and/or raised vegan/vegetarian? I don't know anyone that was. I ate meat/eggs/dairy for the first 23 years of my life and it's only natural for others to want to eat something familiar, if only for having acquired a taste for what their parents cooked for them growing up, or to celebrate a holiday (ham, turkey etc.) I mean, if they make some similar textured soy or mushroom product (like Quorn) and call it anything else, it's still going to be exactly what it is. Something to put in your food to replace what you once put in there. Granted I don't miss hamburger in my chili..it doesn't taste or feel as though it's missing anything whatsoever, same with my stir-fry...why would I spend 10 bucks on some "chicken"-like strips of soy to put in my stir-fry when it already tastes amazing and is completely nutritious and filling already?? But you can't just usher most people into a change of lifestyle without having something to make it gradual...many rely on mock meats in their first weeks/months of vegetarianism (most mock meats are vegan) and then they realize that there's no need to even replace the meat, but until they come to that realization on their own, they're going to heavily rely on the mock-meat crutch which was probably an aspect that made them feel as though they can achieve vegetarianism without going through some kind of shock lol...

*whew* sorry...I appear to be having one of those long-winded kinda days...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Austin
4,103 posts, read 6,060,706 times
Reputation: 6708
While I don't like how animals that are being raised for human consumption are being treated, I am not eating a vegan diet for ethical reasons. I'm doing it because I feel the best I've ever felt. This is my second try and it's far easier this time than last time. I can't stand mock meats. I don't like the texture and and taste. I'm in my 3rd week and already I see many wonderful changes. As for PETA, I can't stand them. They are bullies to put it mildly and give vegetarians and vegans a bad name. I personally don't care what other people eat or wear. It's not my business. I don't like it when people mock me or give me the 3rd degree because I'm eating a vegan diet. Why would I do it to someone who eats meat if I don't like it done to me? Do onto others....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Da Region
1,906 posts, read 1,343,711 times
Reputation: 24828
I've been meat free since '93. My previous doctor said, "Oh, you're a vegetarian? A couple of my kids are vegetarians. That's a healthy lifestyle." I came back with, "Doctor, there's no meat in beer and popcorn!"

No, I don't fill up on beer and popcorn. My point to the doctor was that any diet can be unhealthy if you don't do it properly, which I do not. Am I overweight? You bet I am. But my blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol are at excellent levels for my age and weight. My GP and GYN always praise my numbers (except for my weight of course).

While I love most vegetables and many fruits, and eat them often, I also load up on carbs and "comfort foods" because I like them. I eat many meat substitutes because I miss meat. I gave it up as a spiritual commitment to live more gently, and not eating animals is just the way I chose to do that. Giving up sweet potatoes () wouldn't have had any meaning for me, and the whole point of the commitment was, for me, to give up something meaningful. And because I no longer eat meat, I also no longer wear leather. I have never worn any kind of fur, and never will, vegetarian or not.

As for PETA, as others have said, I believe in their cause, but they do nothing to help themselves. They do as much harm to their own movement as those "Christians" who bomb abortion clinics. They make the whole movement look like a bunch of radicals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top