U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 08:08 PM

4,889 posts, read 3,978,050 times

Advertisements

This is one of those dishes you can make very easily, It is as far as I know,, My own invention, but I say that with the disclaimer that I have not seen anyone else make it, so As Far as I know, it is mine
I will make a photo next time out and post it but I will try to give you a good description here with the recipe for you to enjoy.

You will need
2 to 4 ripe arthichokes
1 small onion
1 large or 2 to 4 small tomatoes
Garlic clove
1 Green Pepper, (bell pepper) chopped
1/2 cup of tofu (optional)
1 carrot, chopped finely
Spices

Bow Tie or similar pasta of your choice
take a few ripe artichokes, wash them and cut off the pointed ends of the leaves. This sounds tedious but it is worth it. one for every two people or so, steam them until the leaves can be pulled out easily (takes about 15 ot 30 minutes depending on the size and ripeness)

Step one. Pull out all the large leaves, set them aside because you will need them later
Remove and discard the stringy parts of the artichoke hearts then chop the hearts into small cubes.

Heat in your skillet to mod heat 2 TBS of Olive oil, enough to coat the bottom of the skillet. Add Carrot first, then after a few minutes, Add Chopped Onion, red or white, yourr choice and cook them until they start to get soft.
Add Crushed garlic, Oregano, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary and a pinch of black pepper. Leaving the Oinons in the skillet, add the chopped artichoke hearts, Crushed tomato (Two large or three small) Chopped green pepper, and finally the tofu These will cook until they reach a simmer and as they simmer, the ingrediants will start to mix and the tofu will absorb the flavors of the other veggies. When cooked, the mixture should not be dry, as the juices from the tomato and such will give it a slightly saucelike base.

Now Assemble a bowl for each dinner guest
Line the inside of the bowl in a circular pattern with the leaves of the artichoke, placing the flat sides towards the bottom of the bowl and the part where you earlier removed the pointed eands upwards. When you are done, the bowl should have a rim of artichoke leaves and resemble a the petals on a flower

Pour the pasta into the bottom of the bowl, filling it half way. Pour the veggie tofu mix over that, and garnish the center with parsley.

Done right, the dish looks as good as it tastes.
After eating the veggies and pasta, the last part is the leaves, which have by this time absorbed the flavors from the veggies.

NOTE
fror anyone who does not know this: To eat artichoke leaves, grasp the (former) pointy end (Which we cut off to keep from hurting you)With your fingers. Place the flat end in your mouth, clamp your teeth down gently and pull the meaty part off of the leaves with your teeth, as you remove it from your mouth. then discard the rest. Properly steamed, the artichoke leaves will be covered with a soft edible meaty part, and having been in the veggie sauce you made from scratch whilst you ate the pasta, well, a treat is in store for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 10:31 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,269,288 times
Sounds great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food