Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:22 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Dude. It has been long established that Asians that come to the US who adopt a western diet drop like flies relative to those who don't.
Are you seriously going to put your head in the sand while the country keeps getting fatter and sicker and our health care spending spirals out of control over totally preventable diseases?!
I don't recall saying anything about putting my head in the sand, I said that the documentary (like others these days) is agenda based. Its not an unbiased overview of diet and health and people that watch it come away with a number of wrong ideas....at least from my experience. The one scientist on the documentary (Campbell) has a decent book (The China Study), its far more valuable than the documentary.

Of course, in today's day and age people can't be bothered with books, they watch agenda driven documentaries and think themselves informed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 04:47 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Lol...if that's what it takes.

What I learned from the documentary is that education is not the problem.
I know tons of people who have seen it and haven't changed their diet one bit.
Not even just to add more veggies. Not asking them to go vegan...just try to add some broc in there sometimes.

For me, there was relatively little new info in this documentary.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Not even just to add more veggies. Not asking them to go vegan...just try to add some broc in there sometimes.
I guess its not a very effective documentary then huh?

Old 09-20-2012, 04:39 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
Quote:
Lol...if that's what it takes.

What I learned from the documentary is that education is not the problem.

For me, there was relatively little new info in this documentary.
Several of my friends have gone completely vegan after watching this documentary, including two entire families. Afterwards they read The China Study too but FOK started the ball rolling.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:53 PM

I forget whether the documentary mentions the V word, but The China Study isn't about veganism. The China study advocates a whole food plant-based diet, which ends up being mostly vegan....but a vegan diet can be far removed from a whole foods based diet.

I've seen a number of people trying a "vegan diet" in reference to this documentary and similar sources and they utterly fail to follow anything that resembles the diet that is actually advocated by the people in the documentary. I don't think the documentary really makes this clear....you mainly get an anti-meat message.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I guess its not a very effective documentary then huh?
Wasn't aware documentaries were supposed to affect you.
Just inform you.
I don't consider Michael Moore type cherry picking stupid crap 'documentary.'

Old 09-21-2012, 07:01 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
The FOK cookbook is really good, one of the best vegan cookbooks I have ever seen.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Wasn't aware documentaries were supposed to affect you.
Just inform you.
If the information contained in documentary doesn't affect you, well, what's the point of watching it?

But the people in the documentary think one of the main problems is information based, so the fact that the documentary fails to affect people is a bit hit to them.... Well that, or they are wrong.....and the documentary served no function other than lining their pocket books.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
If the information contained in documentary doesn't affect you, well, what's the point of watching it?

But the people in the documentary think one of the main problems is information based, so the fact that the documentary fails to affect people is a bit hit to them.... Well that, or they are wrong.....and the documentary served no function other than lining their pocket books.
Some of us gather data, cross-reference it, research validity, ponder it, and use it or discard it.

Not all of us are sheeple.

I think being exposed to all sorts of information can be an opportunity for growth.
Sometimes all you take away is that the world is full of scam artists.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Some of us gather data, cross-reference it, research validity, ponder it, and use it or discard it.
You don't say? But...if you are pondering it then has affected you.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food