U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:14 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,648,368 times

Advertisements

I saw "Forks Over Knives" today. If you have a chance to see this film in your city, definitely do.

I wouldn't say it was entertaining, exactly (watching heart bypass surgery is not my idea of a good time), but the film was very powerful and extremely persuasive about the health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 03:03 AM

425 posts, read 673,950 times
I saw it last weekend. I thought it was ok. I was really looking forward to it, however, I was under whelmed. I brought friends with me and two of them nodded off. I thought it could have been more entertaining. I already knew all the information that they presented. If you've read "The China Study" then there's no need to see the movie. I actually am glad that I read the book as it goes in to greater detail and is more persuasive on the benefits of a plant based diet. 2.5 stars out of 5 for me.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:04 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,648,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
I saw it last weekend. I thought it was ok. I was really looking forward to it, however, I was under whelmed. I brought friends with me and two of them nodded off. I thought it could have been more entertaining. I already knew all the information that they presented. If you've read "The China Study" then there's no need to see the movie. I actually am glad that I read the book as it goes in to greater detail and is more persuasive on the benefits of a plant based diet. 2.5 stars out of 5 for me.
It definitely wasn't so much entertaining as educational. I had read, "The China Study," but I enjoyed seeing some of the people whose work I have read. Especially Drs. Campbell and Esselstyn. Also Rip Esselstyn and the Austin firefighters.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:09 PM

1,619 posts, read 1,167,301 times
Oh, sounded like something I would watch, but bad reviews...

Old 08-23-2011, 02:57 PM

4,574 posts, read 3,269,027 times
If you really want a mind blower, watch "Earthlings" online. If that doesn't open your eyes, nothing will. It isn't for children. I'm still watching it by degrees. I'm a pretty strong person, but a little goes a long way.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:49 PM

5,019 posts, read 7,404,256 times
I haven't been able to bring myself to watch Earthlings. I already don't hold the human species in very high regard because of what they do to other living beings..... seen too much and read too much already. But I have heard that is an extremely powerful movie.

I do want to watch Forks over Knives. We recently met Dr. Esselstyn's son at a vegetarian restaurant in Middletown, CT. In fact he makes furniture and we bought one of his tables

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-29-2011, 10:38 PM

947 posts, read 1,982,666 times
Hi Topaz!
Thanks for posting this.
I have not seen it, but I will. Even if not great, I do enjoy these types of movies.
I saw a few weeks ago, Sick Fat and Nearly Dead. and just makes me think about my lifestyle, puts me in check, made me think about how simple things really are, simple, not easy though. And watching someone get healthy is great!

I saw Rip Esselstyn at World Fest in 2010 in LA, cool! Inspiring! You know, even if you know how to do a veg lifestyle well for you, ...(and i definitley dont always!) I can Always always learn more from others!

Old 09-10-2011, 08:46 PM

1,619 posts, read 1,167,301 times
Sick, Fat adn Nearly Dead. Great movie

Old 09-14-2011, 03:06 PM

8,310 posts, read 21,501,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
If you really want a mind blower, watch "Earthlings" online. If that doesn't open your eyes, nothing will. It isn't for children. I'm still watching it by degrees. I'm a pretty strong person, but a little goes a long way.
I watched earthlings in its entirety. Certainly the imagery is very powerful, but I think it amounts to a choir-preaching, polarizing, biased political statement. I can't say that it wasn't a visually astounding and impactful production, but there are other aspects that I have difficulty accepting as valid and true in a universal sense and I detected some hyperbole that had the effect of denigrating the overall impact.

Good video if you want to spend the afternoon depressed and imposing on your dog for consolation.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:47 PM

554 posts, read 751,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I saw "Forks Over Knives" today. If you have a chance to see this film in your city, definitely do.

I wouldn't say it was entertaining, exactly (watching heart bypass surgery is not my idea of a good time), but the film was very powerful and extremely persuasive about the health benefits of a plant-based diet.
My family and I just watched this on Netflix the other day. We loved it because it was such an eye opener. I'm slowly turning my family into one of us! *evil laugh* I've been more of a vegetarian this year than I ever have, but I was still struggling with dairy. Now after seeing this movie, it's no longer a struggle at all. We didn't watch it for the sole purpose of being entertained. We watched it for education and enlightenment. To open our minds in order to heal our toxic filled bodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food