U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 05:59 PM

2,639 posts, read 6,023,704 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

After much thought over many weeks I have decided to become a vegetarian. Today was my first full day as a veggie and I have survived okay but I'm not much of a cook and know even less about vegetarian cooking. Can anyone recommend any websites that have good, simple vegetarian recipes?

Thanks in advance,

Will (boycew02)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 07:27 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,872,494 times
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain just to eat VEGITABLES !

Old 08-06-2007, 06:45 AM

3 posts, read 6,694 times
You can go to allrecipes and type vegetarian in the search for several good ones!

Old 08-06-2007, 06:47 AM

Thanks BayCruiser. There are so many sites out there it's difficult knowing which are any good or not.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:49 AM

232 posts, read 762,895 times
There is a very good cookbook produced by Moosewood Restaurant.

They are a completely vegetarian restaurant and they have wonderful recipes.
At last count they had 5 cookbooks out, call the Moosewood Collective, published by Clarkson Potter out of New York. They are a member of Crown Publishing Group, Random House.

You should be able to pick up one of their books from Barnes and Noble or Amazon.

Good Luck

(BTW I am a serious collector of cookbooks and recipes so give me a yell if you want/need more info.)

Old 08-06-2007, 06:16 PM

36,960 posts, read 45,404,903 times
I'm curious about why? Don't you like meat, or do you feel sorry for the animals, or what?

Old 08-06-2007, 06:23 PM

I actually love meat, it's more feeling sorry for the animals really. I've always wanted to go veggie but could never bring myself to take the plunge. Well I heard a very thought provoking quote the other day, "Why should something die just because you want a snack?". That really hit me hard. That's basically why I decided to do it.

And thanks for the cookbook recommendation Vesper, I'll look into getting one!

Old 08-08-2007, 03:46 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,412,454 times
There are lots of great veggie cookbooks on amazon.uk - especially if you like asian foods. Since you are starting out, I recommend you get a copy of "Becoming Vegetarian" to help you plan meals and trips to the grocery store.

I'm a (non-militant) vegetarian and have found my health and stamina significantly improved since dropping meat from my diet. I miss the taste of a cheesburger but don't miss what it did to my GI system. Expect to hear lots of goofy comments from friends and family but its your life and your choice. So long as you don't push this lifestyle choice on anyone else, the comments will subside and you'll feel more comfortable with your choice. Good luck!

Old 08-08-2007, 12:39 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,235,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
Thanks BayCruiser. There are so many sites out there it's difficult knowing which are any good or not.
If you like Indian food, there are a lot many vegetarian and vegan options to choose from. A couple of good sites for Indian food :

www.bawarchi.com

Tarladalal.com :: Indian Recipes, Indian Food, Healthy Low Cal recipes (You might need to register for this one)

Try them out . You can customize the dish according to your tastes if you need to (alter the spice level according to your palate) .

Good luck !

Old 08-08-2007, 02:27 PM

232 posts, read 689,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
Well I heard a very thought provoking quote the other day, "Why should something die just because you want a snack?". That really hit me...
I don't mean to be the fly in your ointment, but plants are living organisms too. Whether you're eating a carrot or a cheeseburger, something had to die.
I'm not picking on you, but it always irked me how vegetarians gloss over that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food