U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 03:47 PM

221 posts, read 1,018,513 times

Advertisements

Hello -

I'm not very creative in the kitchen. Am back living in the kind of community where I'm invited to a lot of potlucks, and I'd like to be able to make my old standard potluck offering which takes just a few minutes to make - but I want to make it meatless. Here's the original recipe:

Take a thinly sliced piece of turkey or chicken
spread it with cream cheese
put a pickled okra on one end
roll from that end so that the okra is in the center
slice so you have little rolled up pickle treats to put on a plate

Yes, I know this grossed a lot of you out!!!

But it looks fancy, tastes good, and is spectacularly easy to make - but I want to substitute something else for the turkey/chicken.

What would provide wrapability and a little saltiness? I keep thinking of the seaweed (?) part of sushi, but where would one buy such a thing in a small town in the midwest?

Alternatively, what's a different vegetarian potluck item that is as quick and easy to make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 05:29 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,116,949 times
Yeah, the pickled okra doesn't do anything for me .....

However -- why not use a slice of Tofurky (or similar meatless "cold cut") as your wrap?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:14 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,604,866 times
Why not just use a tortilla instead of turkey? I make lots of pinwheels with tortillas, cream cheese, different types of veggies. roll it up, slice it, put it on the tray...quick, easy, cheap. You can even make them vegan, without cheese.

Last edited by jasper12; 07-18-2011 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 PM

36,949 posts, read 45,395,424 times
I agree, the pinwheels with tortillas are super popular, and with a little cream cheese "glue" you can roll up anything you can think of...fruit, veggie, herb, pickles, etc.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:23 PM

18,586 posts, read 23,122,267 times
Are you able to get sliced Tofurkey where you live? That's the best meat analog I know of.

I have to say that I have never had a pickled okra! I might like it though because I do like pickled things.

I think I'll file this under "retro foods" Sounds tasty!

I have made a lot of old fashioned foods vegetarian and vegan. Meat analogues are wonderful for this. If you want me to "convert" a specific recipe, send me a direct message.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:08 AM

2,542 posts, read 5,976,705 times
My friend just told me about a way to prepare kale raw. I'm not sure how well I remember, so you may want to look this up, but... I believe you pour a little olive oil over the kale and then you squeeze it and work it over and over (she said this takes a bit, about the similar time it does to knead bread), until it is very soft. It is suppose to be very good and taste a little more sweet than usual. I think the sweet and briney would taste good together.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:19 PM

I've been experimenting!

I tried wheat tortillas for the wrap but they taste a little - hmmm, bitter? to me? But then I'm not a bread person at all. I'd like to try corn tortillas but can't find them in the town where I live now.

I DID try Kale as a wrap, though - and it tasted great! I used the flattest part away from the curly edge. Wilting it in olive oil is a good idea. Now I'm thinking about using cabbage in the same way - I love purple cabbage. Hmmm.

For all you okra haters - pickled okra is yummy - the pickling eliminates the sliminess issue.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:32 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,976,705 times
Yum! I admit that I have never even heard of pickled okra, much less have some on hand. What is something that tastes similar? Mini dill pickles or mini sweet pickles?

The cabbage leaves will be a little more pliable if you steam them slightly beforehand.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:30 AM

[SIZE=2]Pickled okra is less sweet than other pickles. More, ummmm - sour?[/SIZE]
And I found the recipe below on SparkPeople, which is similar to what I'm trying to do although more work. I think I'm going to try ordering rice paper wrappers on-line. Do any of you use rice paper wrappers?
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]"This recipe is really easy; it's really more of a process than a recipe. Rice paper wrappers, which are available in the ethnic sections of most larger supermarkets these days, are a great way to wrap your veggies and protein for a quick snack or light lunch."
INGREDIENTS
3 sheets of rice paper
Basil Sauce
1 T fat-free mayonnaise
1 T prepared pesto
1/2 t Dijon mustard
OR
Thai Sauce
1 T fat-free mayonnaise
1 T Thai sauce
Filling
1 c carrots, shredded
1 c broccoli slaw or chopped broccoli
2 bell peppers, sliced
1 c mushrooms, sliced
6 oz cheese (mozzarella or string)
DIRECTIONS
Make the sauce of your choice by combining the ingredients in a small bowl. Place the rice papers one at a time in a flat dish filled with hot water. Immerse for 5 seconds. Remove from the water and lay flat on a clean kitchen towel. Spread desired sauce on the rice paper then fill with 1/3 of the vegetables and meat or cheese. Fold in sides of the paper to form a seal, then roll from the bottom of the circle away from you to form an egg roll shape. Repeat until all three rice papers have been filled. Slice each roll in half and serve! Makes 6 rolls.

[/SIZE]

Old 08-02-2011, 11:36 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,886,676 times
Finely chopped red onion goes well with cream cheese and a dash of salt, also some very thin julienned carrot and cucumber sticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food