U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 07:41 AM

5,339 posts, read 8,033,839 times

Advertisements

I am a long-time vegetarian with occasional bouts of veganism. My problem has always been getting enough protein and iron.

I start bruising easily, and my iron count in my blood gets very low.

I need some tips and suggestions on how to get enough iron in a vegan diet. Any help you could offer would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 07:19 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,386,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I am a long-time vegetarian with occasional bouts of veganism. My problem has always been getting enough protein and iron.

I need some tips and suggestions on how to get enough iron in a vegan diet. Any help you could offer would be appreciated.
Do you have a diet plan or do you kinda take it as it comes?

You may also just be one of the unlucky ones who do not absorb non-heme iron very well. All vegetable iron is non-heme.

Another possibility is that you bruise more easily during a bout of veganism because you lose subdermal fat and your capillaries are unprotected. Are you very lean?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:36 AM

I guess I could use a diet plan.....mine was kind of haphazard.

I'm not especially lean, pretty much average height and weight.

Do you have a vegan diet plan you would recommend? My current diet is vegetarian with quite a few eggs, and some cheese.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I guess I could use a diet plan.....mine was kind of haphazard.

I'm not especially lean, pretty much average height and weight.

Do you have a vegan diet plan you would recommend? My current diet is vegetarian with quite a few eggs, and some cheese.
I'm not vegan or vegetarian and I really only know what works for one member of my family. If you're serious about adopting a vegan lifestyle then investing $250 into a retainer for a vegan/veg friendly nutritionist or (preferably) dietician is going to be money very well spent.

The most important thing is that you EAT LOTS AND LOTS OF FOOD. Sitting down for three meals everyday is not likely to be enough. Eat a big breakfast (it's hard to eat 500 calories worth of oatmeal, isn't it?), break for an avocado an hour later, three bananas an hour after that, break for a giant bean burrito at lunch, break for a caper salad an hour after that, break for some steamed brocolli and rice an hour after that, then a giant spinach salad with pecans and blueberries for dinner. Oh, and you snacked on trail mix all day. If you're getting enough calories to support your lifestyle and eating a variety of different foods you should be getting everything you need, but it doesn't hurt to get a pro to write up a staple mealplan that you can rotate through.

A good way to concentrate some calories is to make smoothies. 1 banana will completely cover the taste of about four cups of spinach, kale, shard or (surprisingly) brocolli. Use almond or soy milk as a medium, add frozen rasberries, frozen blueberries and a tablespoon or two of organic peanut butter (Whole Foods bulk peanut butter is my favorite, but if you like the convenience and texture of no stir, make sure the only ingredients are peanuts, palm oil and salt. Some sugar is okay, but generally to be avoided) and a little probiotic powder to make a delicious smoothie that satisfies.

Here's a good calorie calculator... http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/caloriecalculator.htm

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 08-30-2011 at 08:02 AM..

Old 08-30-2011, 09:09 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,882,815 times
Hero foods/proteins:

oats, sunflower seeds, soy beans, lentils, spinach, dried apricots, tofu.

Combine for protein: ie legumes and grains....

beans and rice
chickpeas and couscous
split pea soup and bread
peanut butter on toast
beans and corn chips

Quote:

Old 08-30-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Hero foods/proteins:

oats, sunflower seeds, soy beans, lentils, spinach, dried apricots, tofu.

Combine for protein: ie legumes and grains....

beans and rice
chickpeas and couscous
split pea soup and bread
peanut butter on toast
beans and corn chips
There's been some de-emphasis on the importance of combining vegetable proteins... It doesn't seem to be as important to combine, for example, beans and rice in a single meal as it was once thought. Eating beans with one meal and rice with another gives you the same effect.

However, beans and rice seem to go together well. Hummus and tabouleh. Pasta and pine nuts. Pad thai and peanuts.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the information and suggestions. I definitely need a plan if I am going to succeed.

The food suggestions are good, and I do eat frequent small meals, probably need to snack more in between.

I need to read labels more as well. Some of the things I was counting on to provide protein don't contain as much as I thought. The brand of hummus I was eating only has 2 % of protein per serving.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:35 AM

428 posts, read 1,048,684 times
Beans are an excellent source of iron and protein. The iron in meat (hemme iron) is more readily absorbed than the non hemme plant version. A easy way to greatly increase non hemme iron is to include a vitamin C rich food with your meal. I use a lot of peppers in my meals which are loaded with vit c as well as brocolli. Or have a glass of oj with a bean burrito.
For a quick protein fix, I eat cliff bars after I workout or have a smoothie with a scoop of vegan protein powder in it.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:44 AM

23,399 posts, read 28,234,455 times
Consider consulting a nutritionist. That would be a good way to get the big picture.

Don't forget the vitamin B12 if you go strict vegan. You will need a supplement.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:52 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,469,391 times
My iron was low at one point in my life. So I started putting blackstrap molasses on pancakes & in baked goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food