U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:46 PM

4,639 posts, read 5,082,761 times

Advertisements

When I saw calves having their tails cut off, and many of them were bashed to death with Hammers. I've never seen such brutality in my life. The youtube videos are very hard to watch, but people need to SEE what goes on before the saran wrap goes on. I am a vegan, and will never apologize for it or feel sorry for the factory farmers. Get another line of work. Brutality is the lowest form of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 09:05 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,286,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
My story is rather gross. I used to be a BIG Jimmy Dean sausage fan. I would make 8 small patties 4 peices of white bread and form 2 sandwiches. can you picture those sandwiches.

Well, one day I went to go make my daily 2 sandwiches and some sineyew about as long as my middle finger came out when I tried to pull the pork apart to make the patties. gross me out so bad I earled right there on the floor. and the rest is history. one by one I cut ALL animals products from my diet.

Then I saw Food, Inc. and oh boy...lol

I've been Vegan going on 3 years now and I've never felt better.

what say you?
I remember finding a blood vessel about 2 inches long in a sausage link at IHOP as a kid. I still can't eat link sausage.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:10 AM

39 posts, read 45,489 times
Default vegan 3 1/2 years now

I read the book "Skinny *****" and it made me think about what I was eating. I never thought of my food before or what animal sufferedn- before I read that book. I started switching out my food and tried soy instead. I made my burritos vegan, etc. I do Not eat soy anymore, I eat field roast brand and drink rice milk unsweetened/original from Rice Dream brand and occasionally make my own almond milk from scratch.
I lost 45 pounds and have kept the weight off for 3 1/2 years. (I was over weight so this is still so exciting for me) I also eat veggies, fruit, beans, water for all meals.
(Field Roast brand vegan "sausage" is the bomb! Italian or Apple sage taste great and great texture)!

since becoming vegan I have watched Fast Food Nation, Earthlings, Food Inc., Fat Sick and nearly dead, and Forks over Knives!
Also read the book, The China Study.

I'm now a volunteer animal activist

Old 10-23-2011, 12:42 AM

1,549 posts, read 2,373,173 times
^^ 5

I like your post

At age 52, and what i consider to be a "foodie," i cant remember the last time i was this excited about food, and eating.

I really feel good about my choices for SO many reasons, and it's a nice feeling. Everything i eat is not 'health food' yet, but no animal is put to death so that i can put a piece of meat into my mouth.

And to me - after all my reading - it's not just the fact that they die, and the WAY they die, it's the way they (are not allowed to) live.

I recommend for everyone that asks - "Old MacDonald's Factory Farm." There are a few books that i think everyone who EATS food should read, but that one is a biggie.

Of course i have lots of people who remind me that just that fact that i dont eat the animals or their eggs, or drink the cow's milk, wont stop their suffering... but i'm one less person doing it - and all i can hope for is one less, and one less...

Old 10-23-2011, 01:03 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,473,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Of course i have lots of people who remind me that just that fact that i dont eat the animals or their eggs, or drink the cow's milk, wont stop their suffering... but i'm one less person doing it - and all i can hope for is one less, and one less...
Ya I've heard that plenty before too. I don't get it though.. It's like saying you may as well do things you are morally against if everyone else is doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food