U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 03:19 PM

616 posts, read 728,791 times

Advertisements

My story is rather gross. I used to be a BIG Jimmy Dean sausage fan. I would make 8 small patties 4 peices of white bread and form 2 sandwiches. can you picture those sandwiches.

Well, one day I went to go make my daily 2 sandwiches and some sineyew about as long as my middle finger came out when I tried to pull the pork apart to make the patties. gross me out so bad I earled right there on the floor. and the rest is history. one by one I cut ALL animals products from my diet.

Then I saw Food, Inc. and oh boy...lol

I've been Vegan going on 3 years now and I've never felt better.

what say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 02:22 PM

105 posts, read 498,840 times
I think it was getting on YouTube or Facebook, and seeing the videos of how battery hens and dairy cows are treated in factory farms. That really did it for me; I don't think I could ever eat eggs or dairy again.

And it helps that every single thing that's produced can be replicated, cheaper and more healthy, using some vegan product. I found powdered soy milk, for example, at SunOrganic Farms. This is just so much better than real milk, which has a government-allowed portion of (sorry) pus, in it. Nasty. Soy ice cream is better than anything with dairy in it, and you can make your own, also.

Hemp milk, as odd as it sounds, is also delicious, though it has no psychoactive properties.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:32 PM

48 posts, read 268,528 times
I became vegan after being a vegetarian for many years and then developing lactose intolerance.

I think for me the more interesting answer is why i stay vegan. Along with continuing to educate myself about the way food is produced and the treatment of the animals that comprise so much of that food, I have learned about the tremendous negative environmental impact of those industries.

There are health reasons, ethical reasons, environmental reasons, and philosophical reasons for me to continue being a vegan. The answer I usually give to people who ask why I am a vegan (since it seems to be a consistent source of curiosity for people) is this: because I don't need anything more than what my vegan diet provides me, and not taking more than I need to is important to me. Even the most gung-ho meat eaters seem to be able to respect that point of view.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DondeDemonios View Post
I became vegan after being a vegetarian for many years and then developing lactose intolerance.

I think for me the more interesting answer is why i stay vegan. Along with continuing to educate myself about the way food is produced and the treatment of the animals that comprise so much of that food, I have learned about the tremendous negative environmental impact of those industries.

There are health reasons, ethical reasons, environmental reasons, and philosophical reasons for me to continue being a vegan. The answer I usually give to people who ask why I am a vegan (since it seems to be a consistent source of curiosity for people) is this: because I don't need anything more than what my vegan diet provides me, and not taking more than I need to is important to me. Even the most gung-ho meat eaters seem to be able to respect that point of view.
this is interesting because after about 6 months of no milk, I tried some and got sick. went to the doc and he said I was lactose intolerant.

I think all people are lactose intolerant when it's cows milk. it's not natural as mother's milk from a human and we shouldn't be drinking it at all. but the FDA tells us lies that it's full of vitamin D.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:23 AM

554 posts, read 1,352,560 times
Angry I feel lied too by our government.

I educated myself on what causes heart disease, cancer, obesity, diabetes and just bad health in general. Everything kept pointing to the consumption of meat and dairy products. But I still wasn't 100% convinced about even giving up on dairy until I watched:

Forks Over Knives | The Official Movie Website

Official Food, Inc. Movie Site - Hungry For Change?

Fat Sick and Nearly Dead | a Joe Cross Film

Welcome (Food Matters)

Even if a person gave up eating meat but continued consuming dairy products, they are still putting themselves at risk for heart disease because of the fat and cholesterol found in milk, cheese and eggs. I only realized that very recently.

Sadly, on my part, not even the slaughtering of animals was enough to make me give up meat 100%. (I still loved salmon and turkey). It's the scientific proof that finally pushed me over the edge. The study of health problems in many different countries over the period of about 70 years is what I responded too the most.

IMO, our government has been lying to us, brainwashing us about our total dependency on "calcium in milk" and "animal protein". It's complete garbage! You won't die or suffer any sort of health problems if those foods are omitted from your daily diet because the amount of protein or calcium that your body requires to function normally is actually extremely low. Something like 9%, which you can get from other sources.

All the sheeple that talk like parrots repeating those lies just convinced me more that I needed to make a change in my life. The meat and dairy industries and the government are keeping us sick and dependant on them because it creates more money. It's hard to get rich off of healthy vegans.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:35 AM

23 posts, read 57,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
My story is rather gross. I used to be a BIG Jimmy Dean sausage fan. I would make 8 small patties 4 peices of white bread and form 2 sandwiches. can you picture those sandwiches.

Well, one day I went to go make my daily 2 sandwiches and some sineyew about as long as my middle finger came out when I tried to pull the pork apart to make the patties. gross me out so bad I earled right there on the floor. and the rest is history. one by one I cut ALL animals products from my diet.

Then I saw Food, Inc. and oh boy...lol

I've been Vegan going on 3 years now and I've never felt better.

what say you?

I became a vegetarian at age 7 or 8 after hearing about how the animals are kept when a special speaker came into class. (My parents were super pissed) Then my HS boyfriend got me to eat chicken at either 15 or 16 and that lasted a whole week until I had a McDonald's chicken biscuit sandwich which had chicken veins (or whatever it was) right in the middle of the chicken. YUCK!!! I refuse to eat any sort of meat and I'm now 26 years old. I'm kinda heading towards vegan but I feel like I need milk & cheese since I don't like soy or almond milk.

As a child (under 8) I ate tuna,chicken and turkey, and steak that was pretty much forced on me. That was it for my meat products. I just hate the taste!

Old 09-20-2011, 05:39 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,111,601 times
I watched Earthlings. Even though I had read about all of the things the documentary touched on, and I was even forced to watch how a pig was killed when I was a child, it still broke my heart.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:37 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,361,441 times
I always had a soft spot for the animals... always found them fascinating and my favorite excursions were the ones to the zoo or the petting farm, and we had pets all through my life.

For some reason, as a little kid, I didn't draw a correlation between "chicken" on my plate, and the "chicken" that scratched around my grandparents' yard. I was at dinner once and (according to family lore) asked my parents, "is this fish the same fish that swims in the ocean?" I was told that it suuuuure was, and immediately felt disgusted. Save for the occasional smoked salmon into my teens, I never ate fish again. I asked a similar question about chicken a few days later, and my dad blew up and was like, "YES, this is the same chicken. Where did you think it comes from? We eat birds. We eat fish. That's just how it is. Now finish your chicken."

Well, when I was nine, my parents got me a pet bird, and that was it. I've never had poultry since. Even before then, I recall when I was over for dinner at someone's and they cooked ducking or young chickens or quail and was disgusted.

As I got older, I had a harder and harder time justifying eating pork and beef but not eating fish or poultry. I was also super-fat (nearly 300 lbs by the time I was 17) and having an increasing number of health problems. So, I decided it was time to do a 180 and cut meat out of my diet, 100%.

After so many years of being told it was soooooo hard and sooooo expensive, I was amazed at how it made next to no impact on my ability to enjoy my favorite foods, and it cost the same if not less. I was also amazed at how much cleaner and well I felt!

It's worked well for me for the last 11+ years However, over the last three years, genetics have caught up with me. My grandmother is from an indigenous group in Northern Asia, so I have a dirt-slow metabolism that takes in literally everything I eat. If I follow the food pyramid guidelines... I'll balloon back up to 300 lbs and be on dialysis by the time I'm 35. Hypertension and heart attacks run in my family, and despite having perfect cholesterol, I've developed a very high blood pressure and heart rate over the last couple years. I've been taking medication, and it's not helping... so... I decided that it's time for me to do another big diet change-up. In the last two weeks I've cut out nearly all dairy and have dropped about another 12 lbs (seriously). My heart rate and pressure has dropped like a stone! It's really amazing how much of a change has happened in the last week. I think I'm going to go 100% full-on vegan

Old 09-27-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I think I'm going to go 100% full-on vegan

It's worth it. I dropped 33lbs. since I switched 3 years ago. I feel like new money..lol

Old 10-07-2011, 02:26 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,391,526 times
Books made me.

Reading.

I've always read tons, but i decided to pick up "Fast Food Nation." Then I decided to read "The Face on Your Plate." Then i got a book on factory farming, and a book about the first animal sanctuary by Gene Bauer. Then i read "Eating Animals" (by that time i wasnt).

I had already stopped eating anything from cows, sheep/lamb, no veal (years ago - i live near veal farms), had stopped cows milk, and was getting eggs from a local farm. Just over the years i had seen enough news reports and read enough articles to make those changes. Plus they didnt appeal to me any more - texture-wise, etc.

After reading the books, i stopped eating poultry and all other flesh foods, except for shellfish and wild salmon now and then. So i am considered pescatarian. I am very choosy about my seafood and where it comes from. I dont eat eggs, but i will bake with them (local eggs).

What amazes me is all the people who cut out 'red meat,' and keep eating poultry. They really need to READ. Because that meat is 'white' it's healthier? I do try not to put down anyone's diet - but poultry is treated worst of all (pigs a close second), and live the dirtiest and unhealthiest the short time they are alive, and even in their killing and processing. That CANNOT be healthy to ingest.

But - i have to remember - i try not to educate unless i am asked! (and i usually am!)

(ooops - sorry, i just read this thread was asking about Vegans)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food