U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 01:00 PM

5,340 posts, read 8,008,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Veganism isn't a disease, or anything to be ashamed of. I love being vegan. My life is richer, broad spectrum, healthy,and I meet highly evolved people when I attend vegan gatherings. I might ruffle a few feathers when I say that I don't enjoy watching an overweight joe sixpack stuffing his face with animal flesh while his kids and wife devour a box of twinkies, boston cream pies, cheap ice cream, greaseburgers, pork chops, steak, candy bars, jumbo sodas, etc. I wouldn't be able to have a coherent discussion about anything with such people. I have had people ask me how I stay so skinny, and of course I don't say "pills" I say that I am vegan. They usually listen a bit, and go back to munching animal flesh, and drinking cow secretions,(bovine milk) and eating hen periods.(eggs). I won't waste time on them other than to say "Google it" if they want to learn about veganism. I also suggest they study heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and coronary disease. I'm too old, and too happy to deal with hostile people who mock a healthy lifestyle, and love for animals like both are a sign of weakness. Health is strength. Love of life is strength.

Hen periods.....I love it.

I love having a meat-free diet. I love the fact that no animals have been harmed when I prepare meals for my family. I love that my health has improved and that I have so much more energy.

I am very happy that so many of my friends and extended family members have become vegan or vegetarian.

What I don't love is that we have to defend our choice for a cruelty-free diet on this Vegetarian and Vegan Food forum.

Why do people come here to argue with us about the choices we make? Do they think we will change our minds and give up this diet and lifestyle that we love and believe in?

Old 08-08-2012, 01:33 PM

2,727 posts, read 708,506 times
Strange that we veggie people aren't going on to the general food boards challenging omni/carnivores about what they eat, but so many non-veggies come to this board. Why is that? Could it be that we veggie people are more peaceful? More secure, knowing that we are definitely making the only possible ethical choice (at least for us---I know lots of "animal lovers" who will rescue a dog or cat or fall in love with a farm animal, but then still insist that they need to eat the desired animal) and a da*n good health choice?

Old 08-08-2012, 03:20 PM

25,906 posts, read 36,204,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We don't need to lie about why we are vegetarian. Honestly, I have never heard of anything so preposterous in my life. I am a veg*n - and I am proud of that. Hee is a place where I should be able to talk about that and to educate others who want to learn about things veg*n.

Another non veg*n poster suggested that we hide this while at social events. Why would we do this?
So that at a party we are asked repeatedly why we do not wish to partake of this or that animal dish?
I don't see it as any different from a guest's saying, "No, I don't eat chocolate cake because chocolate is disgusting" or "No, I don't want any salad because spinach is gross." I choose to say "No, thank you," and keep my reasons to myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'm not sure of the source of your stats. I know that you have posted on another forum that you think that a vegetarian diet is dangerous. I noticed it but said nothing.
Sorry, I don't know what you mean. I can't explain what I don't recall ... unless you're talking about the B12 conversation? B12 is a crucial nutrient and not found naturally in a vegetarian diet. Take supplements, no big deal. It's not really a controversy, in my opinion.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:11 PM

32,309 posts, read 59,604,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Strange that we veggie people aren't going on to the general food boards challenging omni/carnivores about what they eat, but so many non-veggies come to this board. Why is that?
To talk about food! Omnivores eat ... everything, including plants. The fact that I do eat meat and dairy products does not mean that I'm not flexible or creative or adventurous enough to learn about new foods, new ways to prepare foods I'm familiar with, etc. I know that's not what you're saying; it's just one reason you'll find all kinds of people on this very open and public forum.

Anyway, please do come to the other food forums as well; there's talk about everything, including meat-free cooking. People really do have more in common than not.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:24 PM

2,727 posts, read 708,506 times
I love your attitude, OhioGirl, and you are very welcome here. It's not people like you who are open, accepting, curious, and inclusive who we have a problem with us. It's the people who come on here and act like we are second-class citizens who have a few screws loose and who couldn't possibly be happy and healthy with our choice.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:33 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,609,284 times
There are really so many levels to being vegetarian...for example, I have no problem with eating a pizza that has bacon on half of the pizza, just not my half.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:39 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,542,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't see it as any different from a guest's saying, "No, I don't eat chocolate cake because chocolate is disgusting" or "No, I don't want any salad because spinach is gross." I choose to say "No, thank you," and keep my reasons to myself.
Precisely the point I was trying to make earlier. If you're not defensive, or worse... offensive, you don't give others anything to push back against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Sorry, I don't know what you mean. I can't explain what I don't recall ... unless you're talking about the B12 conversation? B12 is a crucial nutrient and not found naturally in a vegetarian diet. Take supplements, no big deal. It's not really a controversy, in my opinion.
Exactly. Even the Vegan Society... and who do you suppose might know, if not the Vegan Society?... advises everyone following a vegan diet to regularly use some form of B12 supplementation, because B12 is missing in a plant-only diet. It's not a big deal if you do it. It's only a big deal if you don't.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:51 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,485,124 times
jazzcat made a wonderful point. I know that I for one don't go into clearly non-vegetarian threads and start criticizing omnivores for their dietary, ethical and lifestyle choices... so why are we getting attacked for ours?

In real life, I don't recall ever actually being criticized for my dietary choices. More often than not, people are just curious about what I eat, what I don't eat, and why I think the way I do. In other cases, people simply don't care they see that it's my choice. I've probably seen more negativity against Veg*nism on these boards in the past couple of weeks, than I've actually experienced in a face to face basis! Crazy!

As for hiding our dietary choices at social events- why on earth should we do this? I have never hidden the fact that I'm a veg*n. I don't make a big hullaballoo about it when I'm at social events, but I certainly don't keep it a secret. That's just ludicrous! Any gracious host will be understanding of a guest's dietary needs- and any gracious guest is doing their host a favor by letting the host politely know for future reference.

If I am going to a party that I know is going to be BBQ / Potluck- I always bring a couple of veg*n dishes to be enjoyed by everyone that I too can enjoy. If I know the host fairly well and I know that it is going to be a BBQ- I always bring Smart Dogs / Tofurky Sausages or something similar- enough for myself and others to enjoy for anyone who is curious to try them (often there are a couple of takers!). I have never found anybody to be offended by this. Ever. In my entire 29 years on this earth (all of which have been at some stage of veg*nism).

I actually think that nowadays it is a minority of people that aren't accepting of other people's dietary choices.

I never ask people to go out of their way to suit my dietary needs- if they do, oh wow that's awesome! But if they don't, I can figure it out for myself. I'll never mope or complain about the lack of veg*n options, just as I wouldn't expect my guests to mope and complain about the lack of meat options at parties that I host!

For years- I thought that it was polite to serve meat at social gatherings at my house- even though I hated having it in my fridge, cooking it, or in my house. I did it because I thought I was being respectful toward my husband and our guests by giving them a familiar option.

About a year and a half ago, DH asked me why I did this... saying that he would be happy enough to eat tofu/ soy while at home- so why do I go to the extra effort in cooking something for others that obviously 'grosses me out'?

I haven't cooked or served meat at my household since.

We entertain fairly frequently... and not a single person has complained It's usually met with positive curiosity more than anything! If they're unhappy, they're always polite enough not to tell me about it- but I don't think anyone ever leaves my house not satiated!

To those who are on these boards arguing against our ethical / dietary / lifestyle choice to be Veg*n- I appreciate your curiosity but as I'm sure you can see, your accusatory attitudes aren't welcome. Ask as many questions as you want, but don't criticize us for our decisions and lifestyle in a board for those of us that are cruelty free / veg*n. In return, I won't find boards about steak and poultry and tell you how the cows and chickens are kept and slaughtered prior to making it to your supermarket freezer.

Amitiés,
x

Old 08-08-2012, 05:09 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,542,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There are really so many levels to being vegetarian...for example, I have no problem with eating a pizza that has bacon on half of the pizza, just not my half.
I can see this driving some veg'ans absolutely bonkers, but I have always felt the same way.

Zealots of any stripe drive me... well... far away from them! When I was training to become a raw food chef I remember a protracted discussion in one of the online raw communities about some people's belief that using any salt except that harvested by natural evaporation would "ruin" your food. The central tenet of the raw food movement is that critical nutrients in organic foods (not all raw foodists are veg'ans) are destroyed at temperatures over 117 degrees F. So some argued that salt which was heated to dry it was not "raw" and therefore was bad for you. But salt is not organic, and even heating it by 100s of degrees does not change it, so I disagreed, and said I saw nothing wrong with "regular" salt. Lordy, you would have thought I had suggested that people broil their own children for dinner!

I was reminded, by a discussion about kosher cheese in another thread, that even the strict rules for kosher have some common sense exceptions, like the 1/60 rule... even though they have a prohibition against cooking or eating meat and milk together, they don't throw out a whole pot of stew if a bit of dairy happens to fall in, as long as it's less than 1/60th of the total. In the same way of thinking, I'm not going to throw out the tofu scramble just because somebody's baloney sandwich touched it.

I think it is possible to overdo anything, and in the process lose the essence of the practice. In my view being calm about being a veg'an, and accepting of other people's beliefs and practices, is far healtheir than being confrontational.

Last edited by OpenD; 08-08-2012 at 05:22 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 05:15 PM

25,906 posts, read 36,204,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Several years ago, I had a boss who was vegetarian. She was ordering pizzas for the department, and we were figuring out the logistics--one pizza half cheese/half mushroom, one Canadian bacon pizza with half no pineapple, etc. Somebody suggested that we get something with meat and she could just pick it off. (We all knew she was vegetarian although she was never preachy about it.) She answered mildly, "What if I ordered a pizza with rat meat or monkey brains on it and suggested you pick it off?" I ate meat at the time and although I wouldn't have suggested she "pick off" or "eat around" the meat on a pizza, I hadn't thought of it that way. I have used that response a couple times in the past few months.

(Not saying that it should bother you, just mentioning what your post made me remember.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food