U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 11:01 AM

17,087 posts, read 9,792,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
My husband is a meat-eater; that's his choice, and neither one of us is trying to convert the other. My kids could go either way, as they enjoy both vegan and meat-based meals.
I am also in a "blended" family. We do just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 02:17 PM

2,316 posts, read 1,836,722 times
I understand how you feel! I married a man who eats meat and never dated a vegetarian. I rarely meet vegetarian men... Least not in my area I guess. He's accepting of me and I accept him. We cook together at the same time, but I fix my meal and he fixes his. It's never been an issue with us.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:38 PM

3,293 posts, read 1,874,942 times
I wonder if a more interesting question would be "For you vegans who are vegans for ethical reasons, would you date or marry a meat eater?" My guess is that few would.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:12 AM

Location: Where rhotic consonants are either absent or intrusive
8,890 posts, read 5,194,739 times
That's a good question. I think that if someone feels their ethics should extend to other people, then I could see where it would not work. I'll similar to people who have strict religious beliefs trying to intermarry with someone with different beliefs. In other words, if a person so feels strongly that their beliefs are the only inherently correct beliefs... yeah, they are better off sticking with someone who is equally convicted.

The Mr. and I are both very much "You do yours, I'll do mine" types, so it really isn't an issue. All I ask is he brush his teeth before kissing me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I wonder if a more interesting question would be "For you vegans who are vegans for ethical reasons, would you date or marry a meat eater?" My guess is that few would.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:00 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,407,281 times
Quote:
No.. I wouldnt.. which is why it took soooooo many years.. half a life just about... to meet my wife.. who was a conservative with a brain ... was an athlete (she is a long distance runner.. yea Disney marathons.. every one) and didn't want children..
and most importantly (well other than being loving and conscious and a brainiac)

SHE CAN COOK vegan food like no tomorrow!!!!!!

But,, I have to do the dishes....

I went out with meat eaters... just couldnt get beyond looking them in the face and wanting to kiss one.. sorry,, its just how I felt.. beauty is INSIDE

Last edited by notmeofficer; 03-21-2015 at 10:11 PM..

Old 03-23-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
That's a good question. I think that if someone feels their ethics should extend to other people, then I could see where it would not work. I'll similar to people who have strict religious beliefs trying to intermarry with someone with different beliefs. In other words, if a person so feels strongly that their beliefs are the only inherently correct beliefs... yeah, they are better off sticking with someone who is equally convicted.

The Mr. and I are both very much "You do yours, I'll do mine" types, so it really isn't an issue. All I ask is he brush his teeth before kissing me
I think all of us think our ethics apply to others in some cases. For instance, if someone told you that he enjoys raping children, would you still consider dating him? Would it make you feel better if he said that he doesn't consider it unethical? What about if he was a racist?

My point is simply that a lot of people, both meat eaters and some veggies, like to act as though one's stance on ethics should always be an "I'll do me, you do you" sort of affair. But no one actually thinks that. There are tons of ethical issues -- actually most ethical issues -- where we recognize that there is actually a right and a wrong, and doing the wrong is significant enough that we wouldn't want to be intimate with someone who disagreed. It doesn't matter how pretty or smart or funny the other person is, I don't want to date someone who is a rapist, a racist, a sexist, a murderer, a thief of any significance, etc. It isn't clear to me why eating meat is obviously not one of these issues.

I am not saying you should avoid being with meat eaters. I am saying the implication that people who don't have an "I'll do me, you do you" attitude on the subject are pushing their beliefs on others is inconsistent with how virtually everyone handles actual ethical issues.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:13 PM

43,402 posts, read 52,384,520 times
My ex was a vegetarian and I was a big ol carnivore before I saw the light and for 7 years we never really had any food based problems. Now I am more of a vegetarian and my wife is still a big old carnivore, and we don't have any problems either.

I did insist that our kids eat a mostly vegetable and fruit based diet with lean organic meats and other protein sources like legumes and she has had no problem with that.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:27 AM

Witt, it's really hard to take you seriously when you throw around hyperbole. Rational discussions involve keeping the topic in context, although I guess if you hold meat-eating to the same degree as slavery and child rape, there is no room for discussion.
Quote:
I think all of us think our ethics apply to others in some cases. For instance, if someone told you that he enjoys raping children, would you still consider dating him? Would it make you feel better if he said that he doesn't consider it unethical? What about if he was a racist?

My point is simply that a lot of people, both meat eaters and some veggies, like to act as though one's stance on ethics should always be an "I'll do me, you do you" sort of affair. But no one actually thinks that. There are tons of ethical issues -- actually most ethical issues -- where we recognize that there is actually a right and a wrong, and doing the wrong is significant enough that we wouldn't want to be intimate with someone who disagreed. It doesn't matter how pretty or smart or funny the other person is, I don't want to date someone who is a rapist, a racist, a sexist, a murderer, a thief of any significance, etc. It isn't clear to me why eating meat is obviously not one of these issues.

I am not saying you should avoid being with meat eaters. I am saying the implication that people who don't have an "I'll do me, you do you" attitude on the subject are pushing their beliefs on others is inconsistent with how virtually everyone handles actual ethical issues.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Witt, it's really hard to take you seriously when you throw around hyperbole. Rational discussions involve keeping the topic in context, although I guess if you hold meat-eating to the same degree as slavery and child rape, there is no room for discussion.
I'm not using hyperbole. You argued that people who are going to say it's wrong for others to eat meat are essentially pushing their ethics on others, and that an "I'll do me, you do you" attitude is the way to go. I simply pointed out that you don't actually have that attitude on many, many ethical issues. It doesn't have to be slavery and child rape. What if someone was simply a racist? Or a thief? What if they skipped out on paying their taxes? Would you have the same "I'll do me, you do you" attitude in those cases? I'm guessing that when it comes to choosing a mate, you wouldn't.

I don't know any vegetarian or vegan, who is a veg/vegan for ethical reasons, who would say that eating meat isn't as bad as stealing or tax evasion.

I'm genuinely not throwing out hyperbole. I'm just trying to figure out why it is that eating meat is getting a free moral pass where we're supposed to pretend there is no ethical truth to the issue. Is it simply due to the disagreement that is widespread on the issue?

Old 03-24-2015, 01:45 PM

The disconnect is because you believe that eating meat is a moral issue, while I do not. The idea that I have no qualms about my mate being a meat-eater should extend to accepting the choice is rape children, dodge taxes, cook meth, etc is just really out there. Do you really take every crime, subversive behavior, or moral choice and give them all equal weight? Someone who eats a steak is as reprehensible as someone who rapes and tortures children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food