Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 07:48 AM

234 posts, read 327,124 times

Advertisements

When I got married 3 years ago I had no idea what vegetarian is. Now I'm vegetarian and trying to be vegan due to health issues and ethical reasons too. But it is so hard because all my life I ate meat and eggs, so my taste is perverted I like the taste of eggs etc. I try to stay away from it but my husband eats only this nasty foods which Im forced to cook. Sometimes it makes me so annoyed that I have to go and cook him omelet and bacon. Sometimes (once in a blue moon) he cooks and of course its meat dinner. It's challenging.
If I were single I'd never never never be with someone who is not on the same page about our diet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 06:13 PM

428 posts, read 1,181,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
When I got married 3 years ago I had no idea what vegetarian is. Now I'm vegetarian and trying to be vegan due to health issues and ethical reasons too. But it is so hard because all my life I ate meat and eggs, so my taste is perverted I like the taste of eggs etc. I try to stay away from it but my husband eats only this nasty foods which Im forced to cook. Sometimes it makes me so annoyed that I have to go and cook him omelet and bacon. Sometimes (once in a blue moon) he cooks and of course its meat dinner. It's challenging.
If I were single I'd never never never be with someone who is not on the same page about our diet!
You don't have to cook him an omelette and bacon. If he wants those foods he can make them himself. He should be grateful you are cooking for him at all.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:46 PM

179 posts, read 267,766 times
Absolutely could not have a serious relationship with someone not a vegetarian.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:31 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,075,224 times
There is no way I could live with a meat eater on so many levels
Its a consciousness that people who eat meat cannot possibly understand
To me.. and my sense of smell heavy meat eaters smell.... unpleasantly so..
Cooking... utensils..food storage..shopping.. health ... there are so many facets of vegan living that is so different with meat eaters we aren't on the same planet ...

Before I married a vegan girls would tell me they were vegetarian.. with a little fish... or turkey ....and I would say.. nice knowing you.. and move on...

Vegan.. 45 plus years...
Wife vegan 35 plus years

Old 01-31-2015, 09:33 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,208,181 times
My husband is a meat-eater; that's his choice, and neither one of us is trying to convert the other. My kids could go either way, as they enjoy both vegan and meat-based meals.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:34 AM

19,965 posts, read 30,111,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Can we just all agree that if we meat eaters had to kill our own animals, we might chose not to eat them? I plead guilty to that, but this is the real world and as long as there are grocery stores I will keep buying meat.

gentle, I can explain this
as a meat eater, ive had to kill, and process to eat,, ive seen where it comes from and still eats meat

we caught fish for food at an early age , and yes, we kids learned to clean the fish,
then we went hunting with the adults,,
and learned how to field dress a deer, moose, and bear

I come from humble beginnings, meat in the freezer was a sense of security
we didn't have the luxury of picking and choosing the foods we had to eat- either eat whats on your plate for supper, or go hungry

in high school, I worked, not to just buy a car as a cool kid, but to help out the family..
I worked on a fishing boat, but also in a slaughterhouse,,

it was hard work,,,but I was doing this to get paid, I learned a lot
I learned how to kill bleed, skin, and butcher and animal..

from that job, I got a job
I got a job in a supermarket- in the meat department, as a butcher,,and then meat dept manager

I learned they had very very very strict sanitation policies, and the people working there were professionals

I dated a vegan once, she thought I was joking about being a butcher,,, I said id be open minded , if she would,,,she said ok...
our first date was over to a friend's house , a bonfire/gathering by the lake ..
she was fine til she saw the pig-roast, and that kinda spoiled the moment..

as a butcher I do take offense to much that is said ,,, also most of the liberal media is anti-meat,
I know many many good people in he food business, that would lose their jobs if meat wasn't available

25 yrs ago as a meat manager in a grocery store some vegans put "meat is murder" stickers all over the meat in the meatcase,,, but, they went too far when they put little pins (needles) in the burger and meat- kids choked and bled on this as a result..
that sort of stuff is too far..

Old 02-01-2015, 12:11 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,035,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
as a butcher I do take offense to much that is said ,,, also most of the liberal media is anti-meat,
I know many many good people in he food business, that would lose their jobs if meat wasn't available
Oh the pity....I guess we should never make social progress because some people may lose their jobs.

Do you have a link to the event where vegans put needles in meat? That would be a crime and, I reckon, would be all over the news.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
gentle, I can explain this
as a meat eater, ive had to kill, and process to eat,, ive seen where it comes from and still eats meat

we caught fish for food at an early age , and yes, we kids learned to clean the fish,
then we went hunting with the adults,,
and learned how to field dress a deer, moose, and bear

I come from humble beginnings, meat in the freezer was a sense of security
we didn't have the luxury of picking and choosing the foods we had to eat- either eat whats on your plate for supper, or go hungry

in high school, I worked, not to just buy a car as a cool kid, but to help out the family..
I worked on a fishing boat, but also in a slaughterhouse,,

it was hard work,,,but I was doing this to get paid, I learned a lot
I learned how to kill bleed, skin, and butcher and animal..

from that job, I got a job
I got a job in a supermarket- in the meat department, as a butcher,,and then meat dept manager

I learned they had very very very strict sanitation policies, and the people working there were professionals

I dated a vegan once, she thought I was joking about being a butcher,,, I said id be open minded , if she would,,,she said ok...
our first date was over to a friend's house , a bonfire/gathering by the lake ..
she was fine til she saw the pig-roast, and that kinda spoiled the moment..

25 yrs ago as a meat manager in a grocery store some vegans put "meat is murder" stickers all over the meat in the meatcase,,, but, they went too far when they put little pins (needles) in the burger and meat- kids choked and bled on this as a result..
that sort of stuff is too far..
As an omnivore I am embarassed by the post I quoted. I have the greatest respect for vegetarians, that is, real vegetarians. Too many people falsely claim to be vegetarian because they don't eat certain meat. Chickens are not plants. I do not eat veal or any meat from factory farms. That, however, gives me no right to claim that I'm a vegetarian.

My late wife and I were ovo-lacto for a number of years; we had short vegan bursts. We started eating some meat again after long discussions about what is natural. We never deprived our cats of meat because that's all they can digest. I think that our cats as well as our dogs who truly love meat whas the primary stimulus in our returning to meat- eating. We both became absolutely opposed to fur, all animal testing, and any activities causing needless mental or physical suffering to animals. To return to the topic, if I were dating a woman who were vegetarian (I have no interest in dating whatsoever) I'd do my best to become vegetarian myself again. It's not that hard.

I have two chickens who needed a home. I'll eat their eggs, but I'll never eat them. They're pets. I don't find anything wrong in eggs or dairy per se since there are humane ways of obtaining both.

Again, I find it an outrage that someone invades your forum to do nothing bu disrupt and cause problems.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:16 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,075,224 times
Meat IS murder my friend... just one that humans have decided to make acceptable

There is no need in modern society to eat meat
It is less than healthy for the body.. amino acids aside..
It causes huge amounts of pollution
It takes huge amounts of resources to produce
It limits the amount of people it can effectively feed
It is a cruel industry causing huge amounts of suffering to living beings
It says something about peoples inner consciousness... the ability to be led by agribiz.. and not listening to a nagging little voice this might be wrong.. and if that voice is missing that really says something

But.. Im not here to hijack this thread...

Hell no.. I wouldnt date a meat eater much less marry one

Old 03-12-2015, 01:01 AM

5,686 posts, read 4,120,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Meat IS murder my friend... just one that humans have decided to make acceptable

There is no need in modern society to eat meat
It is less than healthy for the body.. amino acids aside..
It causes huge amounts of pollution
It takes huge amounts of resources to produce
It limits the amount of people it can effectively feed
It is a cruel industry causing huge amounts of suffering to living beings
It says something about peoples inner consciousness... the ability to be led by agribiz.. and not listening to a nagging little voice this might be wrong.. and if that voice is missing that really says something

But.. Im not here to hijack this thread...

Hell no.. I wouldnt date a meat eater much less marry one
Well, to be fair, murder is defined by society. It is defined by the laws of the land. So, currently, meat is not murder because it is not unlawful. It is wrongful killing, however.

To the OP: My wife is a vegetarian, so it's hard for me to imagine having to balance this issue in a relationship. I don't think I could. I couldn't date or marry a person who held slaves, and I think eating meat is equally bad, if not worse, than slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food