U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 01:16 PM

181 posts, read 169,730 times

Advertisements

I love tofu, but I am horrible at making it.

The only method I have found effective is to drain the tofu. Put the tofu in the freezer for a day or two. Thaw the tofu and then get all the moisture out. Cook the tofu with a light amount of oil. Not only is it not as good as the restraurants, but it takes forever!

I don't like tofu that is mushy in the middle at all. My favorite is the bbq tofu at whole foods.. Any ideas on how its made?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 PM

3,764 posts, read 6,396,406 times
I like the firm, not packed in water tub, nigari tofu. Nigari type tufu is often what those BBQ & soysauce tofus are made with.

It can be hard to find nigari tofu in grocery store health food sections, but I have found it in health food groceries & speciality oriental stores

Old 11-02-2011, 02:49 PM

2,308 posts, read 1,735,911 times
Do a Google search for how to bake tofu. It's great that way!

Old 11-02-2011, 03:51 PM

Baked? really? Ok I'll try it. Thanks!!

Old 11-02-2011, 04:04 PM

2,308 posts, read 1,735,911 times
Ali, you are very welcome. Here are some great tutorials. Of course, the texture is great baked, but tofu is still pretty bland, so it's all about the sauce.

Try This! Baked Tofu | Apartment Therapy The Kitchn

Crispy Baked Tofu | Chow Vegan

I make a great Asian chopped salad with baked tofu. can give you the recipe if you like.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:19 PM

5,019 posts, read 11,606,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali1234 View Post
I don't like tofu that is mushy in the middle at all. My favorite is the bbq tofu at whole foods.. Any ideas on how its made?

"BBQ"ed tofu is basically baked tofu that has been marinated in bbq sauce. You could try marinating your pressed and drained tofu in your favorite bbq sauce, then baking in a 350-400F oven for 30 minutes or so (turn once at the half way point).

I bake both frozen/thawed/drained tofu and "fresh" drained tofu. The freezing makes for a chewier and more "meatlike" texture. You'll have to experiment and see which you prefer.

I'm on an Asian-fusion kick and have been marinating my tofu in this recently:

Rice Vinegar
Tamari
Sesame Oil
(equal parts)

Smushed Garlic
Grated Fresh Ginger
Dash of Cumin
Dash of Coriander
Large Pinch of Brown Sugar

If I want a bit of kick, I'll add a pinch of Cayenne Pepper.

Marinate for an hour or so, turning one or twice. The frozen tofu seems to soak up more of the marinade.

Bake as directed above. If I want the tofu to have a crispy edge, I'll put it under the broiler for a minute or two.

I've been on a Thai green curry kick and find that tofu baked in the above marinade works really well. It's also good tossed into a vegetarian version of Bun (the Vietnamese noodle dish).

Have fun playing in the kitchen!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:53 AM

Thanks! That is great advice! I'm going to go home today and try it out!

Old 11-10-2011, 04:46 PM

3,764 posts, read 6,396,406 times
Great baked tofu recipes, everyone! Thanks. I'm trying one tonight.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:47 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,418,208 times
This is my daughter's favorite Tofu Recipe (my own concoction) and even her non-veg friends love it. I buy the extra firm Tofu (but sometimes use the Firm Pre-Cubed one) and cut into cubes. I saute in Olive Oil or Sesame Oil; add some sesame seeds, Mrs. Dash, some red pepper (depending on how hot you want it) and any other seasoning I feel in the mood for. Once it's been sauteing for a while I pour in Low Sodium Soy Sauce (my daughter doesn't like it too heavily soy sauced). Then we serve with Rice (brown or white depending on preference) and we like it with corn. But you can have whatever Veggie with it. It's all so super easy and tasty. I think the Sesame Seeds and Mrs. Dash & Soy Sauce make the flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food