U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 06:02 AM

7,414 posts, read 12,230,800 times

Advertisements

what are you having for thanksgiving this year?

i'm having 2 thanksgivings because my husband and i live far from our families and he can never get the day after thanksgiving off. so i go by myself and then have thanksgiving at home on another day.

for thanksgiving actually held on thanksgiving, there will be meat so i'm mostly eating side dishes, but here is what i am making; one main and most of the sides for everyone:

red kuri squash & bean stew with jalapeno tofu "cream"
arepas
swiss chard with olives
caramelized brussels sprouts with pecans
beet, fennel & asparagus salad (which was requested)

then other people are making fennel salad, hummus, homemade cranberry sauce, roasted root vegetables and some vegan pies. really, the only things that won't be vegan are the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and some of the desserts.

for thanksgiving with my husband he likes to go the more "traditional" route and i don't mind that either so we will probably be having:

tofurkey & gravy
cranberry sauce
mashed potatoes
sweet potatoes
some kinda green vegetable
some kinda pie (probably apple)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 06:17 AM

2,394 posts, read 178,354 times
Yum! I much prefer the first one. Recipe for the beet/fennel/asparagus salad, please? And the squash and bean stew? I see that you are another brussel sprout lover!

Don't care for tofurky (the texture).

I am actually hosting my local vegetarian Meetup group at a vegan restaurant: Loving Hut. They are open for T'giving.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:26 AM

i don't have the recipe for the stew handy; i'll try to remember to post it later. i am pretty sure i know the beet salad recipe by heart though; i tend to double it so i'm not left with half a fennel.

3 medium beets with greens (about 1 lb)
5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tsp capers, rinsed
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
salt & pepper
1/2 lb asparagus
1/2 medium head of fennel

separate the beets from the greens, put the beets in a medium saucepan & add water to cover, bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender.

in the meantime, put the vinegar, garlic, capers, oil and basil into a blender and blend until smooth. season with salt & pepper to taste.

when the beets are done, put them in cold water til they can be handled and take off the skins. cut the beets in half and cut each half into 1/2 inch wedges. put in a bowl and toss with 1/3 of the dressing.

snap off the ends of the asparagus and slice the asparagus on the diagonal into 2 inch pieces. blanch for 3 to 5 minutes in boiling salted water, until they are cooked but still crisp. drain and drop in cold water to stop the cooking. transfer to a medium bowl.

with a paring knife, cut out the fennel's hard core. slice the bulb lengthwise, very thinly, and add to the asparagus. pour the rest of the dressing over and mix thoroughly.

cut off & discard any hard stems on the beet greens & cut into bite size pieces. wash thorougly, then put the greens in a skillet and toss gently over medium heat. the water from washing is enough to cook them. remove when they are lightly wilted - about 3 minutes.

to serve, put some beet greens on a plate, then the fennel-asparagus mix, then the beets.

if you're concerned about looks, keep the beets separate from the fennel & asparagus until you serve so everything doesn't end up pink.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:31 AM

and yeah, i LOVE brussels sprouts! just roasted with salt and pepper is great. i've never tried this recipe (which is sauteed) but it sounds good.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:34 AM

Thanks, Groar---sounds wonderful. Too bad I didn't have this recipe in the summer when I was growing fresh basil. Oh well, if I can spring for fennel (I love it---but it's expensive), can buy some basil as well. Very impressive that you did that by memory. I love fresh beets---but have to admit, I use rubber gloves when dealing with them since they stain my hands.

I'll remind you about the stew if you forget.

Have you made the brussel sprouts masala from Veganicom? Terrific! And I just made Thai style (who knew Thai cooking would use them?) b. sprouts.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Thanks, Groar---sounds wonderful. Too bad I didn't have this recipe in the summer when I was growing fresh basil. Oh well, if I can spring for fennel (I love it---but it's expensive), can buy some basil as well. Very impressive that you did that by memory. I love fresh beets---but have to admit, I use rubber gloves when dealing with them since they stain my hands.

I'll remind you about the stew if you forget.

Have you made the brussel sprouts masala from Veganicom? Terrific! And I just made Thai style (who knew Thai cooking would use them?) b. sprouts.
the salad is good with just beets too, or just beets and asparagus.

i didn't end up doing it from memory, i remembered that i e-mailed it to someone once and found it there!

and yeah, it is a lot cheaper to make in the summer, especially since i grow fennel too! if you love fennel you should try growing it, it's a prolific self-seeder and you will be swimming in it.

Last edited by groar; 11-18-2011 at 08:26 AM..

Old 11-18-2011, 10:08 AM

7,962 posts, read 7,546,271 times
Tofurky is SO nasty, IMO! Does anyone here actually like it? I know a lot of meat-eaters automatically use that as a go-to veggie item for Thanksgiving. I had it once, that was enough. Most of it went in the garbage.

I highly recommend a Quorn roast instead. It's SO delicious, its' even good cold for leftover sandwiches. My CATS eat it!

TURK'Y ROAST (http://www.quorn.us/products/Turk'y_Roast.aspx - broken link)

Old 11-18-2011, 11:43 AM

Mmmm! I've like Quorn products---will need to look for that. And if your cats will even eat it, that's an endorsement!

I do try to limit processed foods like this, but once in a while, it's okay....

Old 11-18-2011, 12:26 PM

i think tofurky is fine, it's not my favorite thing, but i like it well enough.

you do have to have a good cooking method for it and a good baste or it will be super boring and/or rubbery. i cook mine in a covered ceramic container to keep it moist, and i experiment with different bastes. my go-to baste is half olive oil, half soy sauce, and some rubbed sage. i also use way more baste than they call for.

quorn isn't vegan so that's out for me. field roast is decent but really expensive and small. and i don't remember it being much better than tofurky (field roast sausages and hot dogs, on the other hand, are out of this world). i've seen some recipes for vegan roast type things that sound good (like veganyumyum's seitan roulade) but i never feel ambitious enough to actually try making one - i'd rather put my energy into the sides and desserts. thanksgiving has really always been about the sides for me anyway. the tofurky's for my husband, who loves it.

also, one of my cats eats tofurky but she also eats broccoli so...

Old 11-18-2011, 12:39 PM

7,962 posts, read 7,546,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i think tofurky is fine, it's not my favorite thing, but i like it well enough.

you do have to have a good cooking method for it and a good baste or it will be super boring and/or rubbery. i cook mine in a covered ceramic container to keep it moist, and i experiment with different bastes. my go-to baste is half olive oil, half soy sauce, and some rubbed sage. i also use way more baste than they call for.

quorn isn't vegan so that's out for me. field roast is decent but really expensive and small. and i don't remember it being much better than tofurky (field roast sausages and hot dogs, on the other hand, are out of this world). i've seen some recipes for vegan roast type things that sound good (like veganyumyum's seitan roulade) but i never feel ambitious enough to actually try making one - i'd rather put my energy into the sides and desserts. thanksgiving has really always been about the sides for me anyway. the tofurky's for my husband, who loves it.

also, one of my cats eats tofurky but she also eats broccoli so...
I have a cat that loves bread. I haven't decided if I am going to cook anything for Thanksgiving, but might at least make some crescent rolls for her. She's 16 so who knows how many more Tgivings she'll have. She just LOVES those rolls! (and any other bread or cracker porduct)

I should have said my "meat eating only, not much for table scraps" cat will eat it. My dogs, of course, eat anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food