Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:51 PM

2,828 posts, read 4,327,357 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here buy a veggie chili (canned, frozen, etc.) that they like and would recommend? Looking for a good quality product that is heat and serve.... not a recipe. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 06:29 AM

This is one that I buy often. It's frozen and you get two packets (servings) per box that can be heated by microwaving or by placing in boiling water. It's very good. But are there any others available for a quick meal?

Vegetarian Chili

Old 12-03-2011, 06:51 AM

41,821 posts, read 74,878,087 times
I've never had any product from Amy's that wasn't good.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I've never had any product from Amy's that wasn't good.
Thanks Ohiogirl! I just looked on Amy's website and see that they make several canned chilis.

I'll have to see if our stores carry them.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:11 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,643,585 times
amy's and health valley canned chilis aren't bad. my favorite pre-made kind is tabatchnik though. unfortunately, none of them hold a candle to homemade!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:19 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,250,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
amy's and health valley canned chilis aren't bad. my favorite pre-made kind is tabatchnik though. unfortunately, none of them hold a candle to homemade!
I agree. I will make a crockpot of it and have many meals from that one pot.

I don't like a lot of Amy's stuff. They use a certain spice I don't like. I don't know what that spice is, but I find a lot of their stuff has the same "off" flavor to me. And their frozen meals are often very high in fat and calories.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:27 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,730,148 times
When I don't have time to make my veggie chili from scratch, I simply open up a can of pinto or black beans & open up a can of diced tomatoes, pouring both in a pot. I add TVP (textured vegetable protein). Then I add red chile powder to taste. To me that is instant vegetarian chili!

Old 12-09-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
When I don't have time to make my veggie chili from scratch, I simply open up a can of pinto or black beans & open up a can of diced tomatoes, pouring both in a pot. I add TVP (textured vegetable protein). Then I add red chile powder to taste. To me that is instant vegetarian chili!

Thanks, I'm going to do that today, only with kidney beans.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:50 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,250,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I do this in the crock pot. It's easy enough to do in the AM before work, then I get to come home to a nice dinner on a cold day.

I use 2 kinds of beans, either dark and light red kidney or kidney and chili beans, chopped onion, mushrooms (canned), Morningstar Farms veggie ground, stewed tomatoes or diced with green chiles, tomato paste, and water. I season with LOTS of black pepper and hot chili powder. (I like it spicy) This makes a nice big crockpot of chili and I can have it again the following week. It's actually better the next day, so I will sometimes have leftovers on a baked potato.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I do this in the crock pot. It's easy enough to do in the AM before work, then I get to come home to a nice dinner on a cold day.

I use 2 kinds of beans, either dark and light red kidney or kidney and chili beans, chopped onion, mushrooms (canned), Morningstar Farms veggie ground, stewed tomatoes or diced with green chiles, tomato paste, and water. I season with LOTS of black pepper and hot chili powder. (I like it spicy) This makes a nice big crockpot of chili and I can have it again the following week. It's actually better the next day, so I will sometimes have leftovers on a baked potato.

Sounds great!! Do you leave the crockpot on low all day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food