U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 11:09 PM

18,586 posts, read 23,122,267 times

Advertisements

I read it over and over. Here on this sub-forum, and in my interactions with people who I meet. People want to stop eating dead animals, but they can't bring themselves to eat Boca burgers or what ever meat analogue might be suggested.

Natural is not always humane or ethical. Hunting is natural. Wild animals are not given hormones. So, technically eating an animal that is shot, stabbed with a bow and arrow, skinned and butchered by yourself is "natural" Oh, how rewarding! What fun!

A lot of things are "natural" but fall short, when it comes to morality.

I am really tired of hearing about people on a vegetarian forum who are squeamish about eating a soy product, but the leg of a tortured turkey an thanksgiving is just fine. I am so confused!

We use meat analogues several times per week. Since we do not eat meat or dairy, and we eschew junk food and fast food, I have no idea why this is some mow "looked down upon" by some members of the vegetarian and wanna be vegetarian communities.

Soy is not dangerous. Meat is dangerous and cruel. We do not need meat in order to live. In the beginning stages of vegetarianism, faux meat products are a great help. For us they still are, and we enjoy and seve them. No apologies!

For us they still are. When my children were young, at birthday parties I served soy dogs, and chick nuggets, salad and potato salad with soy mayonnaise. Some have actually gone as far as to say that this was "dishonest" on my part! For those of you with no dietary restrictions, do you request a list of the ingredients of foods when you are a guest at someone's home? Do you ask if the cup cakes are made with "real" butter or with margarine? If you do, you are incredibly rude. As far as I am concerned, I served nourishing food and gave those kids a break from the toll fast food takes on your digestive system. In particular, the liver.

I support ANYTHING that saves the lives of Animals and reduces harm. All choices are not perfect. But some reduce the harm inflicted upon other creatures. If the food is processed, why is that necessarily bad?

I am not a health food nut. However I do not like the taste of fast food or junk food. Never have. There is nothing abominable about combining several ingredients to create a new food. It's called a recipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 02:51 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,166,896 times
No matter the subject, you will always find people within the group looking down their noses at eachother.

That's just the way it is. I get trying to "understand" people. I still find myself trying sometimes. But for the most part, I've come to the conclusion that people in general, just don't make sense.

I'm not a vegetarian, by the way, but I am looking to increase the vegetarian portion of my diet and decrease the meat portion.

I have no objection to boca burgers or veggie burgers. I've tried they a few times. They aren't awful. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with tofu, though.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:27 PM

250 posts, read 332,227 times
Why even care what someone else does or thinks? Why try to understand it? You do what is right for you with your own justifications and reasons. You eat the way you feel you need to.

You can drive yourself mad trying to decipher the reason someone does what they do.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:01 PM

587 posts, read 687,261 times
I am a new vegetarian. I'm doing it for health reasons and I'll be honest with you: I miss meat. But in the six months I've been doing it my doc has seen my markers of concern change for the better, so I'm convinced.

The first thing I did was try all the different meat substitutes and none of them thrilled me. One or two were okay, but for me most were..."blah" in either taste or texture or both. I've been experimenting with beans, grains etc. and that seems to suit me better. But if I go to a barbecue and the host brings me a Boca burger I'm not going to turn my nose up at it, even though I wouldn't buy them when I go grocery shopping. I'm going to say "Wow, thanks for thinking of me" and be thrilled that I don't have to eat salad and listen to "why aren't you having a [burger, hot dog, whatever]...?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have no idea why this is some mow "looked down upon" by some members of the vegetarian and wanna be vegetarian communities.
What other people, vegetarians or omnivores, eat is not my business and my mom taught me that the only acceptable comment to make about other people's food is "That looks/smells good." (assuming that is the case) And yeah, you can make yourself crazy trying to figure out other people so it's not worth trying. As long as people aren't criticizing my food choices, I let them be.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:22 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,565,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
I am a new vegetarian. I'm doing it for health reasons and I'll be honest with you: I miss meat.. . .
It gets easier as time passes, at least this is true in my experience.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:55 AM

13,258 posts, read 36,253,393 times
If you're actually asking a question Sheena (I didn't see a question but I'll assume it's implied)...

I, as an omnivorous mammal, don't like boca burgers or "meat analogues" because I like the taste of meat. Meat tastes like meat. Soy doesn't taste like meat. Meat has the consistency of meat. Soy does not. Meat has all the nutritional value that meat has. Soy does not. Soy is not meat. Meat is meat. Soy is soy. I like soy sauce on my pork fried rice.

I -do- however like falafel. But I don't like it because it's "meat analogue." It isn't meat analogue. It's falafel. It is a food in its own right, not pretending to be something else. I love tahini dressing. Not because it's just like creamy dressing without the dairy, but because it's delicious in its own right, not pretending to be anything else.

I LIKE vegetarian foods, for their own sake, on their own merits. For the same reason I prefer ice cream over ice milk, I don't like things that are pre-formed, overseasoned, and blender-mixed to make them appear like they're something else. Mashed chick peas and bulghur are mashed chick peas and bulghur. They're not fake burgers. If I want a burger, I'll eat a burger. If I want mashed chick peas and bulghur wheat, I'll eat mashed chick peas and bulghur wheat.

A big fad around here is portabella mushroom "steaks" that they market to people and claim it tastes just like meat. That's all well and good, but a slab of portabella mushroom doesn't taste like meat, unless you season it heavily with salt and other unsavory seasonings, and it lacks the protein of meat. It doesn't cook the same way, it doesn't have the same texture, it doesn't have the same juiciness. If they would market portabella mushroom steaks as portabella mushroom steaks, and not some "meat analogue" product, I'll bet they'd be a lot more popular among the omnivores.

It's a matter of taste buds and texture and appealing to the senses. People who like meat, don't eat it because it's cruel and they like doing cruel things. They eat it because to them, it tastes good. Boca burgers don't taste like meat. They taste like overseasoned veggie patties. Which is great, if you -want- an overseasoned veggie patty. But if you want a sirloin burger with a slice of cheddar cheese, a substitute is no substitute.

Just like when I'm in the mood for hummus with a pita, it won't be right if I use a slice of white bread instead of the pita. That'd totally kill the meal for me. Both are bread. Just like a boca burger and a steak burger are both burgers. But a slice of white bread can't substitute properly for a hummus and pita. They taste different, they have different consistencies, and the result is just weird.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:21 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,080,438 times
I'm confused as to what the issue is. If you like fake meat, eat it up. Personally, I don't touch the stuff. Ever. And if I was trying to encourage someone to become vegan or vegetarian, that is most definitely NOT what I would offer them as being representative of their new diet. In fact, I would give them a hug and assure them that they can be a good vegan and never, ever, have to eat Tofurky or soy cheese. Our Thanksgiving meal was a delicious, 100% vegan affair that didn't contain a single bite of fake meat and even the omnivores in attendance raved about the food. If you don't eat dead animals, there's no requirement to fill the "void" with processed soy products that are manufactured to look, taste and smell like the dead animals you no longer eat. Plenty of vegans and vegetarians like those products and consume them regularly, as evidenced by the ever-growing number of said products showing up in grocery stores. Many others, myself included, wouldn't touch the stuff with a 10-foot pole. It's simply personal choice. I don't understand why or how anyone would bother to become defensive or insulted over another's opinion about soy dogs?

Old 12-16-2011, 06:03 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,253,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
I'm confused as to what the issue is. If you like fake meat, eat it up. Personally, I don't touch the stuff. Ever. And if I was trying to encourage someone to become vegan or vegetarian, that is most definitely NOT what I would offer them as being representative of their new diet. In fact, I would give them a hug and assure them that they can be a good vegan and never, ever, have to eat Tofurky or soy cheese. Our Thanksgiving meal was a delicious, 100% vegan affair that didn't contain a single bite of fake meat and even the omnivores in attendance raved about the food. If you don't eat dead animals, there's no requirement to fill the "void" with processed soy products that are manufactured to look, taste and smell like the dead animals you no longer eat. Plenty of vegans and vegetarians like those products and consume them regularly, as evidenced by the ever-growing number of said products showing up in grocery stores. Many others, myself included, wouldn't touch the stuff with a 10-foot pole. It's simply personal choice. I don't understand why or how anyone would bother to become defensive or insulted over another's opinion about soy dogs?
Exactly. You worded it very well too, it sums up my sentiments on the subject.

>She who prefers well-prepared vegetarian fare some days, and a slab of rare-cooked beef other days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food