Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 04:08 PM

3 posts, read 2,245 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry for the animals. Lambs, chickens, horses, ducks, turkeys, fish. They eat monkeys, dogs and cats somewhere. Dogs and cats are my angels. It blows out my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I'm a vegetarian for the sake of amimals. What is done to animals in the food industry makes me sick. I'm not greedy enough to want to eat anything that has been mistrated and slaughtered.

I feel more kinship with people who are attempting to be vegetarians for the sake of the animals than I do for health vegetarians, who care only for themselves.
I've heard these stories. But there are a lot of good cattle men who don't mistreat the cattle. They take care of them. I know that because my dad and other cattlemen are all good men. But given that, I would still be a vegetarian. BTW, what is the difference between vegetarian and vegan?

Old 04-18-2012, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 2,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
That is exactly what I have always said about milk. Milk from cows is just breast milk for calves; why did humans start drinking it? Why just drink breast milk from cows and goats? Why not drink breast milk from sheep, dogs, cats, etc? Makes no sense to me.
I believe it's something that comes from India. They believe that cow's milk is special because Krishna's mum had no milk in her breasts so he was drinking cow's milk.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:38 AM

428 posts, read 1,184,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I've heard these stories. But there are a lot of good cattle men who don't mistreat the cattle. They take care of them. I know that because my dad and other cattlemen are all good men. But given that, I would still be a vegetarian. BTW, what is the difference between vegetarian and vegan?
In addition to meat, vegans also don't consume eggs, milk, honey or purchase leather, wool, silk etc. There are various reasons for avoiding each "product". Wikipedia does a decent job of breaking it down.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:32 AM

399 posts, read 854,887 times
I eat meat but in the last year have reduced the amount a great deal. I have seen the movies showing the slaughter of animals and it bothers me tremendously. Perhaps that's why I eat it much less as time goes on. I do feel better after eating meat and it seems to keep me full longer. Two of my daughters are completely vegetarian and cite the animals and health as their reasons. They have been meat free for a number of years now. One daughter, a severe epeliptic, has not had any seizures since omitting meat from her diet. I am not sure if this is a valid component of the absence of her illness but as long as she believes it may contribute to her success then it's a good thing. As time progresses I will eat less meat. I do not know if I could ever become fully vegetarian though.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:46 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,924 times
I gave up eating meat when I started working as a veterinary assistant. It made no sense to me that I would spend all day trying to save the life of one animal and then go home and eat another. Now it's been around 15 years and it's just habit.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
In addition to meat, vegans also don't consume eggs, milk, honey or purchase leather, wool, silk etc. There are various reasons for avoiding each "product". Wikipedia does a decent job of breaking it down.
I had no idea that vegans don't consume honey. I learned something new today (and I just looked up why vegans won't eat it). Fascinating.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:41 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I had no idea that vegans don't consume honey. I learned something new today (and I just looked up why vegans won't eat it). Fascinating.

I remember being shocked when I learned that cheese wasn't vegetarian. I had considered myself vegetarian at the time.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:46 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I remember being shocked when I learned that cheese wasn't vegetarian. I had considered myself vegetarian at the time.
Hang on, I'm confused. I know that vegans don't eat cheese, but you're saying that vegetarians won't eat it either. Oh, wait!!! Because of the rennet? (I know that there are some cheeses -- kosher ones -- that have no rennet, but they taste pretty gross.)

Old 04-19-2012, 02:46 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Hang on, I'm confused. I know that vegans don't eat cheese, but you're saying that vegetarians won't eat it either. Oh, wait!!! Because of the rennet? (I know that there are some cheeses -- kosher ones -- that have no rennet, but they taste pretty gross.)
I'm probably the world's worst vegetarian. I won't eat it if I can identify it as meat, but the little hidden things...I can't be bothered to keep track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food