Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:53 PM

199 posts, read 591,044 times

Advertisements

I've been doing a lot of research, and I am now seriously considering going vegetarian. I am starting to go to farmer's markets with regularity.

Here are some quick questions.

1. Do you think, aside from health, that vegetarian-ism is beneficial for your appearance and energy? When I shop at whole foods, the shoppers definitely look slimmer than at the typical grocery stores. However, they don't necessarily look any younger.

2. Will I have more energy as a result of vegetarian-ism?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 AM

24,041 posts, read 32,357,283 times
As for myself, I feel and look so much better. My skin is clear and radiant.I also have no guilt about what I eat in terms of how or the way the animals were treated and killed.
People think that I look 10 years younder at the very least. No one knows my age but God and my mama!
You are in good company- vegetarians are growing in leaps and bounds!
Best of luck!

Old 02-16-2011, 04:16 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,310,122 times
I don't think vegetarians are necessarily thinner, I read about a man who was vegetarian, he ate tons of carbohydrates, and actually gained alot of weight. He was eating pasta, beans, peanut butter, bread, and was actually consuming more calories as a vegetarian.

So, maybe you are thinking about being vegetarian, and also watching the carbs?

Old 02-22-2011, 05:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,057 times
I am now considering being a vegetarian, have been looking at the internet on how to start actually. I have stopped eating red meats, still eating fish and chicken, but hoping to eliminate in the near future. I was just wondering, how about the protein that we need? If I totally stop eating like white meat, I am afraid I might lack some nutrients. I know there are lots of Vitamins or health supplements, but I still am contemplating about it. I am happy to know people who are vegetarians and happy being one.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-22-2011 at 07:11 AM..

Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 AM

428 posts, read 1,182,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andie99 View Post
I am now considering being a vegetarian, have been looking at the internet on how to start actually. I have stopped eating red meats, still eating fish and chicken, but hoping to eliminate in the near future. I was just wondering, how about the protein that we need? If I totally stop eating like white meat, I am afraid I might lack some nutrients. I know there are lots of Vitamins or health supplements, but I still am contemplating about it. I am happy to know people who are vegetarians and happy being one.
I wouldn't worry about protein. Legumes, soy products,nuts,and veggie "meats" are all high in protein. As long as your diet is varied and you are getting enough calories you should be fine. Protein deficiency is pretty rare. I would however, recommend taking a vitamin B12 supplement. I have been a vegetarian for over 5 years and I work out 5-6 days a week with weights as well as lots of cardio and I don't have any problem getting my protein needs met. I highly recommend "Becoming Vegetarian" written by Vesanto Melina and Brenda Davis. It is full of information regarding vegetarians and nutrition. Hope this helps.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:18 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,984,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
I've been doing a lot of research, and I am now seriously considering going vegetarian. I am starting to go to farmer's markets with regularity.

1. Do you think, aside from health, that vegetarian-ism is beneficial for your appearance and energy? When I shop at whole foods, the shoppers definitely look slimmer than at the typical grocery stores. However, they don't necessarily look any younger.

Thanks in advance!
Here are my thoughts as a recently converted (8 months) vegetarian.

1. I definitely have more energy since become a vegetarian. It is probably because I focus more on what I eat, making sure I get proper nutrtition. As far as appearance goes, I've probably lost about 5 lbs and maintained it pretty easily. I don't know about looking younger, etc. I feel good and that was most important to me.

2. My answer to this is you can have more energy. Will you? That is up to you. One word of caution that I would give to anyone who is interested in becoming a vegetarian is really monitor what you are eating especially early on and be careful with the ease of eating processed foods. I travel a lot for work and it became easy to order a take-out vegetarian burrito and the like. A couple of weeks of that and I felt terrible.

I did a lot of on-line research before and during the process. There is a lot of very helpful information out there. There are plenty of sources of nutrients to be had in a vegetarian diet - don't let others try to tell you differently.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:23 PM

428 posts, read 1,182,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Here are my thoughts as a recently converted (8 months) vegetarian.

1. I definitely have more energy since become a vegetarian. It is probably because I focus more on what I eat, making sure I get proper nutrtition. As far as appearance goes, I've probably lost about 5 lbs and maintained it pretty easily. I don't know about looking younger, etc. I feel good and that was most important to me.

2. My answer to this is you can have more energy. Will you? That is up to you. One word of caution that I would give to anyone who is interested in becoming a vegetarian is really monitor what you are eating especially early on and be careful with the ease of eating processed foods. I travel a lot for work and it became easy to order a take-out vegetarian burrito and the like. A couple of weeks of that and I felt terrible.

I did a lot of on-line research before and during the process. There is a lot of very helpful information out there. There are plenty of sources of nutrients to be had in a vegetarian diet - don't let others try to tell you differently.
This is very true. I generally eat very well, lots of fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains, and legumes. The times where I eat convience food out often I end up feeling pretty gross. I don't think this is vegetarian specific though as I felt pretty nasty after eating a quarter pounder meal back in my meat eating days.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:26 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,833,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post

I haven't eaten meet since I was in my teens, so I don't necessarily know how I'd look if I'd continued to eat meat. That said...

Vegetarianism is not a magic bullet to slimness and eternal youth, no matter what anyone tells you. PETA and other journals will push stuff that says that in an attempt to get people to stop eating meat at all costs, and IMHO, it does help, but it's not like if you stop eating meat you'll become superhuman.

I'm 6'2, and built like a main battle tank. I'm two feet across at the shoulders, have really heavy muscle, and an extremely masculine face, with a pronounced jaw ridge, prominent chin... hell, you can see my jaw muscles. I don't look "young" at all, at least not in a spritely teenager sense. This has meant that, since the start, people have always said, "you don't look like a vegetarian," and many people don't believe me until I'm offered and decline a slice of pepperoni pizza.

However, my skin is absolutely clear and I don't have any wrinkles starting in my late 20's. Could be dietary habits, could be genetics.

Quote:
I sure did. I've noticed that, relative to coworkers, friends, and relatives, I tend to have more energy than most - the only people who seem to have more are serious fitness buffs. As a caveat, I do go to the gym, just not obsessively.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:43 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,612,454 times
I didn't have to think about it. I didn't have to research it. From the time I was old enough to tell my parents that meat is disgusting even to look at I knew I was a vegetarian. I am into my 50s and never even so much as touched that disgusting excuse for food, let alone taste it. Not one teasing curious taste....ever.

As I said, I am into my 50s, but if I tell anyone that they argue with me because they insist I am 42 at most. I am the only one in my graduating class of 75 who still sports a full head of hair without one single strand of gray. And I keep my hair well down my back.

I still play sports with those half my age and kick their azz in any sport. I can out run them, out dance them, out swim them.

And I never touched a single taste of red meat in my life.

It's not my religion, some kind of radical beliefs, or some anti hunting beliefs. I just see meat as disgusting, probably because it is disgusting.

Don't be afraid to give meat up. You will be healthier and feel better. Probably live longer too!

Old 02-27-2011, 03:07 PM

24,041 posts, read 32,357,283 times
Meat IS disgusting Desertsun41. I was blocked from giving you rep!

The initial revulsion that I felt as a newly wed preparing my first Thanksgiving turkey, or making hamburgers from chopped meat was my first introduction to how meat feels and what it really is.
(previous to that, my mom cooked or I ate out or ate in the commons at college or in a restaurant}
What meat is? A dead animal. Cut up or ground up. Butchered.

No it's not a way to stay thin. That's just silly. Obviously if you over indulge or eat regularly potato chips, candy, or other sugar and fat laden foods, you will gain weight. Soda pop has no meat in it either.

As far as looking younger, I am mistaken for being ten to fifteen years younger than my actual age.
I am not sure if that has to do with being vegetarian or what.
My mom had passed from cancer before she reached my age. She was thin, but she ate a meat based American diet - high protein - that was popular at one time.

I am actually not as skinny as my mother was. But being skinny is not my goal.
I am a good weight and I am alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food