U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:54 AM

11,002 posts, read 17,490,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Lately I've been eating a baked potato with cottage cheese on it. YUM!
This is one of my favorite comfort meals. Nice with some chopped scallions sprinkled on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 09:47 AM

533 posts, read 854,665 times
Cook 2 cups brown rice and stir in one can of Rosarita Refried Beans (vegeterian) add whatever spices you like and serve topped with shredded cheese (optional). Serve with salad and you have a stick to the ribs veggie meal that even a meat eater will like.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:30 AM

841 posts, read 1,657,374 times
I use a lot of ethnic recipes. Stir fries are pretty cheap if you get big bags of rice and mix in whatever vegetables you have around. Also you can make nice meals from big baked potatoes covered with beans or other sauces and some cheese. Add a side salad=a decent cheap meal.

I see some of you said the same thing. You can buy a huge bag of potatoes and use them very frugally. I just bought a big 10 lb. bag for less than $4.00 and they are versatile. Fried with beans----again very cheap. Make your own baked beans from white beans and sauce.

Good for you going veg!

Old 02-12-2012, 06:32 AM

21,114 posts, read 30,196,960 times
For a wealth of good tasty recipes check out the Moosewood website, which is a famous vegetarian restaurant in Ithaca, NY. that has a string of successful cookbooks too.

Moosewood Cooks | Vegetarian Recipes & Restaurant | Based in Ithaca, NY | Moosewood Restaurant Cookbooks

Old 02-12-2012, 01:45 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,634,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
For a wealth of good tasty recipes check out the Moosewood website, which is a famous vegetarian restaurant in Ithaca, NY. that has a string of successful cookbooks too.

Moosewood Cooks | Vegetarian Recipes & Restaurant | Based in Ithaca, NY | Moosewood Restaurant Cookbooks
I keep meaning to get down there to check this place out... I live about an hour away in Syracuse. I have made several of their recipes from online before though and they are AMAZING!

Old 02-13-2012, 04:39 PM

262 posts, read 429,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
I love this recipe for lentil tacos - basically you substitute lentils for ground meat for the filling:

Tasty Lentil Tacos Recipe - Allrecipes.com

super cheap to make - and yummy!
I am making this now. I happen to have some corn tortillas on hand and decided to break open this bag of lentils I bought yesterday. Never had lentils.

My new policy on food is to eat only real foods, and canned foods, well, they have too much processing and too many ingredients. You never know what's inside the can

So far so good. This is day 2 of the real food adventure. Today at work I had lettuce tacos with cheddar cheese and tomatoes and hot pepper sauce, so this may be much better with the lentils.

I'm actually preparing for a 30-day juice fast, hence the real foods only policy.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:51 PM

18,586 posts, read 23,126,842 times
This is pretty cheap and easy - Get a can of Goya Black Bean Soup. Add a can of well drained black beans. season with cumin and lime. Serve over rice. I'm hungry now.

Also, keep mixes in the house such as hummus mix, taco filling, veggie burger. There boxed mixed are much less pricy than their frozen or deli counter parts.

I always keep an assortment of Amy's Soups on hand, as well as tofu, for Tofu "Cutlets" or tofu salad. For the salad I mix it with vegan mayo, celery, carrots, onion and turmeric.Cutlets dip lightly in flower and saute in a little oil.

Pasta and beans are inexpensive too, as is rice and beans.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:05 PM

262 posts, read 429,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
I am making this now. I happen to have some corn tortillas on hand and decided to break open this bag of lentils I bought yesterday. Never had lentils.

My new policy on food is to eat only real foods, and canned foods, well, they have too much processing and too many ingredients. You never know what's inside the can

So far so good. This is day 2 of the real food adventure. Today at work I had lettuce tacos with cheddar cheese and tomatoes and hot pepper sauce, so this may be much better with the lentils.

I'm actually preparing for a 30-day juice fast, hence the real foods only policy.
the lentils turned out not-so-great. they're still crunchy and not tasty or appealing in flavor, but it's kind of the point of no return (I can't re-cook them). I'll still eat the rest of them simply for the protein value. Next time I should add more seasoning though.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:05 PM

18,586 posts, read 23,126,842 times
I would not prepare meat. Add to that, I would not be be a short order cook. Prepare a meal that everyone can eat. Let them make add and clean up - their own meat.

If YOU do the cooking, then they should eat what is served. I agree with bongo, Mexican and Italian food is hearty and filling. You make tacos? Prepare the guac, chop the veggies, cook the refired beans make some Spanish rice. The want chopped meat?
Make THEM cook it and clean it.

Lagagna, stuffed shells, and Asian stir fries are all normal today.

Try veggie meat balls on a hero, hogie, grinder, (or what ever you call it where you live.
Top with cheese (or Diya) put it under thr broiler and toss a salad. Bet they won't know what they are eating and you will be promoting their health.

Soup and sanwich night is another idea. Mushroom Barley, Cabbage and Kielbaa, (veggie) Minestrone, Lentil, Italian Wedding (with rice and pre-made "meat" balls) cream of brocolli with sandwiches makes a very satisfying meal.

Best of luck!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:25 AM

36,956 posts, read 45,395,424 times
My favorite veggie meal is a huge pile of veggies, roasted with olive oils and tossed with some pasta and parmesan cheese. I would typically use mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini, and onion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food