U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:14 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,117,965 times

Advertisements

wondering Wegmans or Whole foods for the best selection of vegan foods and actually the best prices overall.......The rest of my family is not vegan.......THanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 12:32 AM

475 posts, read 398,470 times
I dont know what Wegmans is but i love Whole Foods. They are very pricy but hey, you pay for what you get.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:04 AM

11,151 posts, read 14,114,566 times
I think it's going to depend on your geographic area. There's no Wegman's where I live, either (of course, the closest Whole Foods is nearly an hour away, so it's not terribly convenient).

If Wegman's is a traditional grocery store, then I'll guess that Whole Food probably has a better selection of vegan items, but overall it's going to be pricier.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:29 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,632,741 times
We don't have Whole Foods here, but do have Wegmans and it is AMAZING for veg choices! They have an entire section of the store called Nature's Marketplace that is dedicated to vegetarian, vegan, and organic food choices. I tried our local veg store and it didn't even come CLOSE to the options at Wegmans, so no I won't go anywhere else.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:18 PM

7,099 posts, read 9,304,568 times
Why would you have to choose between those two stores? They're murder on your wallet. Any grocery store has what you need to be a vegan: fruits, vegetables, whole grains. A bottle of sauce here and there.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:15 PM

653 posts, read 738,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
wondering Wegmans or Whole foods for the best selection of vegan foods and actually the best prices overall.......The rest of my family is not vegan.......THanks
I love and frequent both, as well as Trader Joe's and a handful of small local markets (I hit whichever I'm near since I prefer not to make a special trip). Wegman's and Whole Foods have about equal variety of veg. selection. Their prices are about equal, too, as some products cost less at one and not the other, and visa versa.

Also, remember your local farms, farmers' markets, CSAs, etc. That's the best place you could purchase your produce, etc, for your health, your community, and the environment.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:27 PM

653 posts, read 738,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Why would you have to choose between those two stores? They're murder on your wallet. Any grocery store has what you need to be a vegan: fruits, vegetables, whole grains. A bottle of sauce here and there.
Ohh, I don't know about that. I hit regular chain stores in a pinch (and weekly when I shop for elderly relatives), but they rarely have all the things I need for me. I get my produce from local farms as much as possible, however, I go to the store for non-produce and there is a large selection of food that local grocers just won't have. Upon my last visit, they didn't even have polenta, risotto, or chia seeds (all things one would think are common). Many local stores near me still only carry soy milk, not almond or coconut milk, etc.

Also, after you've been a vegetarian or vegan for a very long time, you crave variety, and you're just not going to find that with the tiny veg. selection at a corner market. (Just like you can find Greek food at a corner market, but you're going to find a larger selection at a grocer in Greektown.)

So, yes, you can get vegetarian and vegan food at nearly any store on the planet, however, your selection is much wider when you go to a Whole Foods, Wegman's, etc.

And, if you're worried about your wallet (I know I am!), no one says you have to buy all your items at WF. Get what you can at your corner market then make an occasional stop at WF and stock up on things that your corner market doesn't carry. (And I'm not suggesting making special trips for any of this - I hit them during other errands, driving home from work, etc.)

And, as always, remember your local farms for the freshest food.

Last edited by dclamb3; 02-29-2012 at 05:37 PM..

Old 03-01-2012, 02:52 AM

475 posts, read 398,470 times
Quote:
Yes, but when it comes to vegan food (besides fruits, veggies, etc) the majority of the markets dont carry that stuff. At whole foods you can buy frozen vegan food (already cooked), soy ice cream, vegan burguers, vegan cookies, etc.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:43 PM

18,586 posts, read 23,117,825 times
I like both, but in terms of variety and price, Wegman's wins!

Old 03-03-2012, 12:29 AM

1,234 posts, read 2,462,518 times
Quote:
Because sometimes, people like to eat other things than straight up fruits, veggies, and whole grains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food