Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:04 AM

349 posts, read 616,052 times

Advertisements

I do cook meat in my household.

It's not that I'm completely AGAINST the eating of meat, as I did until about 2 years ago. I had to 'quit the habit' due to severe digestive problems and haven't looked back since.

However, the rest of my family are "meat and potato" people, my S.O is as well, and most of my friends are. I don't shove my vegetarianism down their throats, but I do try to prepare as much 'healthy' stuff as possible when I do serve meat.

Luckily I don't need to cook it often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 02:27 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
I love cooking and in my social circle, my cooking is infamous.

Infamous as in, "hey, if I bought the ingredients, would you mind coming over and cooking tacos?" or "Seriously, let me know the next time you make chili. I love that stuff!"

It's never really come up that anyone wants me to alter one of my recipes to include meat, and any time that someone's brought over a friend or new S.O. who's leery of the fact that there's no meat, they quickly cave, try, and ask for more

I wouldn't alter anything to include meat because I am opposed to it. In addition, the smell of meat cooking makes me want to throw up. Sizzling fat? blorgh. No thanks.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:22 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
No. I do not buy or cook animal or bird flesh. If people want to eat that, they can cook it themselves in their homes or go order it at a restaurant.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:48 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I love cooking and in my social circle, my cooking is infamous.

Infamous as in, "hey, if I bought the ingredients, would you mind coming over and cooking tacos?" or "Seriously, let me know the next time you make chili. I love that stuff!"

It's never really come up that anyone wants me to alter one of my recipes to include meat, and any time that someone's brought over a friend or new S.O. who's leery of the fact that there's no meat, they quickly cave, try, and ask for more

I wouldn't alter anything to include meat because I am opposed to it. In addition, the smell of meat cooking makes me want to throw up. Sizzling fat? blorgh. No thanks.
The smell and the sight of it makes me want to gag. Looks like roadkill on a plastic tray, wrapped with plastic, at the grocery.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Can I just say something, as someone who *does* eat meat?

If I -- a meat-eater -- were invited to a vegetarian's house for a meal, I'd be positively embarrassed and mortified if they cooked meat for me, the same way that I'd never serve meat if they came to my house.

The vegetarian made an ethical life choice. I'm not going to expect them to bend their ethics in their own house or in mine.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I cook meat for my children, so I would cook it for a guest if there was some reason to, but I can't think of what that reason might be. If people were coming over for dinner, I would make a vegetable lasagna or enchiladas or something.

I'm not sure what to cook for Thanksgiving yet, but luckily that's a long way away.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:51 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
The smell and the sight of it makes me want to gag. Looks like roadkill on a plastic tray, wrapped with plastic, at the grocery.
Ugh, god, the smell of walking through the butcher's section at a supermarket makes me want to hurl. I was sensitive to it even when I ate meat, but now? It just smells like the blood and ammonia are covering over the ever-present stench of decomposing flesh. Utterly revolting! I've worked in a morgue before and seen many dead bodies... it didn't look or smell a whole lot different at the end of the day, to me.

To cook it? Ugh.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:41 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
As an omnivore, I expect to be fed whatever my host chooses to cook, minus any allergies I might have (which currently is none). If all they're cooking is deep-fried brussels sprouts and eggplant parm with the parm part of it made out of "cheese analogue" or soy protein, I'll probably eat at home and offer to bring over a vegan dessert or a bottle of wine. But that's not because it's vegetarian; it's because I hate brussels sprouts and eggplant smells to me somewhat like some of you posters claim meat smells like to you. And I don't eat analogue. I eat food. Analogue isn't food. It's who-knows-what, with enough spices in it that it doesn't taste like what it IS and vaguely resembles what it's trying to pretend to be. Kind of like how a hot-dog is a food analogue. It's overspiced bits of parts from animals pretending to be food. When I'm in the mood for analogue, I eat hotdogs.

But if you're doing falafel with tahini, and a wild greens salad, and hummus with fresh veggies and pita, or a lentil curry over basmati rice, why in the world would you want to ruin it with meat? That right there is perfection, for an omnivore like me. If I want a steak I'll stay home and cook a steak.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,444 times
Vegetarians: Do you cook meat for social events when you know carnivores will be present?

Yes. When I invite guests to my home it is polite to make them feel comfortable, and that includes cooking them foods they will like but that I might not really be a fan of. I don't really drink that much, but I will still buy or allow alcohol in my house. I can't stand fruit cake, but my mother is a fan, so I make her one every year. It's not about me.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:32 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Can I just say something, as someone who *does* eat meat?

If I -- a meat-eater -- were invited to a vegetarian's house for a meal, I'd be positively embarrassed and mortified if they cooked meat for me, the same way that I'd never serve meat if they came to my house.

The vegetarian made an ethical life choice. I'm not going to expect them to bend their ethics in their own house or in mine.
People who come to my house for a party know I am a vegetarian. They would (I hope) assume that I will be serving meatless food.

I will say this though. 2 years in a row I had a Cinco de Mayo party. The first year I had green chile stew, layered dip, fresh fruit, and chips and salsa. The green chile stew had veggie meat in it. I didn't not announce that to anyone except another vegetarian friend, and everyone raved about how good it was. I doubt the meateaters even knew it was veggie. The second year I did a "build your own taco salad" bar and had salad shells, lettuce, refried beans, chopped tomatoes, lettuce, onions, black olives, and cheese. I also had a small container of taco meat that I did cook. I was okay with doing so, and only did because I know not everyone would be happy with a refried bean salad. The salads were a hit.

Otherwise, though, other parties have always been meatless and no one complained or went hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food