U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:06 PM

262 posts, read 429,192 times

Advertisements

Was really surprised to find Mike Tyson to be a vegetarian. Also Ellen D. One think Mike says in his video: I wish I had been born this way. He implied now that he's not eating meat, he's not of the same mindset to fight.

Another poignant remark came from Ellen who stated with pure conviction referring to the cruelty of animals she saw in Earthlings , "I just can't be a part of that."

I think she was also the one who implied that eating an animal who has been harmed and mistreated creates turmoil within. I truly believe that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 PM

18,582 posts, read 23,112,945 times
I believe her too. On both a natural and metaphysical level.

On the natural or biological level, stress hormones are released when mammals are feeling extreme stress, such as that caused by confinement, poor diet, unnatural foods, inability to play - or even to move around.

I can not even think about the stress of an animal that knows she is about to die.

These "Fight or Flight" hormones can not be good.

Ingesting the fear, pain and torture of another being is a horrible thought to me, and to other ethical vegetarians.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:30 AM

2,726 posts, read 706,705 times
I have always loved this by Paul McCartney:

If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian.”

Old 05-28-2012, 08:31 AM

9,014 posts, read 8,275,479 times
Paul McCartney's famous phrase that he won't eat anything with a face has always stuck with me. And I've just decided I'm going to try to cut meat out of my diet altogether as well.

Just saw the movie Food Inc. and it's appalling to realize that's what the meat industry has us eating......made me almost barf

Old 06-02-2012, 09:02 PM

304 posts, read 528,256 times
I agree with all of you. What I don't understand is why everyone doesn't feel guilt about eating meat . I am a newbie, but all my life I have felt guilt about eating meat - but friends and family, they joke about it - actually joke about it - I don't get it. At least when I ate it, I felt like s*it afterward, like I knew something was dead because of my grocery purchases.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:53 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,743,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
What I don't understand is why everyone doesn't feel guilt about eating meat.
For the same reason everyone doesn't feel guilt about most of the things they do in our modern lifestyle. You can't escape the simple fact that, for whatever you eat, an animal (or several -- even hundreds) will likely be killed, injured, or displaced. Some people just choose to be oblivious to that while pointing fingers at others.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:21 AM

5,340 posts, read 8,004,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
I agree with all of you. What I don't understand is why everyone doesn't feel guilt about eating meat . I am a newbie, but all my life I have felt guilt about eating meat - but friends and family, they joke about it - actually joke about it - I don't get it. At least when I ate it, I felt like s*it afterward, I knew something was dead because of my grocery purchases.
One of my coworkers loves beef, and said that she likes to think that the cow she is eating didn't suffer or else she couldn't enjoy her meal.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:28 AM

43,402 posts, read 52,384,520 times
You know, I just look in the soulful eyes of my dog and imagine someone hurting her and torturing her and slaughtering her for her meat. And it kills me to think about that. But that's just another animal it's happening to. It's not my dog, but it's some other animal.

Sad.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:51 AM

11,151 posts, read 14,113,383 times
Remember, folks, the OP is asking about vegetarian celebrities.

Here are a couple quotes I found:

"My refusing to eat flesh occasioned an inconveniency, and I was frequently chided for my singularity, but, with this lighter repast, I made the greater progress, for greater clearness of head and quicker comprehension. Flesh eating is unprovoked murder." Benjamin Franklin

and

"We stopped eating meat many years ago. During the course of a Sunday lunch, we happened to look out of the kitchen window at our young lambs playing happily in the fields. Glancing down at our plates, we suddenly realised we were eating the leg of an animal who had until recently been playing in a field herself. We looked at each other and said "Wait a minute, we love these sheep - they're such gentle creatures. So why are we eating them?" It was the last time we ever did." Paul and Linda McCartney

Old 06-04-2012, 05:50 AM

5,340 posts, read 8,004,671 times
Dennis Weaver said that he thought there would come a time when civilized people looked back in horror on the fact that our generation and the ones before it actually raised other living things just for the purpose of killing them. He said that in the future people would look back on meat eaters with the same disgust that we regard cannibals and cannibalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food