Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:58 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint It Pink View Post
You can always substitute. The internet is a beautiful thing... just type in "xxxxxx substitute" and you'll find something.

That being said, there's very little in terms of vegetarian recipes that I won't use again, or couldn't find an alternate use for, or couldn't put in the freezer.

You can have my Saigon Cinnamon then......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 07:18 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
I have found loads of great recipes through Vegetarian Times. I subscribe, but they also have a great search feature on their online site. Most don't have weird ingredients, or when they do they will often offer substitutes. If a recipe sounds good and you don't have one of the ingredients it is very likely there is a more accessible ingredient that can be substituted.

Last edited by CrowGirl; 05-09-2012 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: correct typos

Old 05-10-2012, 04:38 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
I grabbed Potato Starch instead of Arrowroot, tried it once but it was a strange thickener! Reminded me of oobleck that I made with first graders.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:41 AM

261 posts, read 497,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I'm not a strict vegetarian so most of the time - if we're having meat, we're having real meat. But I have bought the fae protein crumbles in th past - won't do again.

I have trouble using a full jar of capers..

I love Indian spices, I was lucky enough to have an Indian friend who cooks alot and could split or borrow spices with her. (Sadly we moved away).

I'm a bit of a spice freak... comes from growing up in the Midwest. I was just home and peeked at mom's spices again - yep, salt, pepper, cinnamon, garlic salt and of course, SeasonSalt. I've got a three shelf unit in the kitchen for all my spices, LOL
agree. It seems like my tastes are progressing. I'm no longer too hip to fake proteins. But another thing that's progressing with me is my thinking about the pain and anguish of animals when I eat real meat. It is hard to eat meat at all. I think it does cause us hard to eat animals who died with such pain and suffering. I was stranded today and had little choice of food options. was offered a chicken sandwich and couldn't even eat it even though I was really hungry.

Anyway, I love capers. They're like little olives. Dice 'em up with some garlic and olive oil, a dash of vinegar on a wedge of lettuce, sprinkle with any sweet dried fruit.

Has anyone tried veganaise? I had it at a vegan cafe, it was pretty good on the diced vegie salad on toasted whole grain bread. Was like tuna salad. Nice and salty, but there was no tuna, yet very satisfying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food