Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:10 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times

Advertisements

Just curious about how many years everyone has been meat-free. It's been around 14 years for me.

Things have changed a lot during that time. Back in the 90's it was difficult to find vegetarian products, and only a few stores carried any veggie items at all.

Now the grocery stores where I shop have quite a few vegetarian options, as do most restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 12:58 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
More than 20 years now -- since, maybe, 1990? I've never looked back, never faltered, and never regretted the decision.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
More than 20 years now -- since, maybe, 1990? I've never looked back, never faltered, and never regretted the decision.

One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't do it years sooner.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:21 PM

4,050 posts, read 2,131,639 times
Like Dark, over 20 years ago. Never looked back. But I must say those of us who became veggie in the sixties through about 2000 did not approach it in as imaginative way as today's vegans do. Simply amazing!

Old 04-11-2012, 04:35 PM

9 posts, read 11,919 times
I have only been a vegetarian about 3 or so months and I like it.... I do eat seafood though. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Old 04-12-2012, 09:49 AM

201 posts, read 574,027 times
I was a vegetarian for a year but then became a vegan. So I always say an overall vegetarian for 5 years and a vegan for 4, and have no desire to turn back

Old 04-12-2012, 11:27 AM

4,050 posts, read 2,131,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedorah View Post
I have only been a vegetarian about 3 or so months and I like it.... I do eat seafood though. Does anyone have any advice for me?
Don't know what sort of advice you are looking for. You actually aren't a vegetarian---you are a pescatarian, eating fish as well as veggies. A vegetarian does not eat any flesh from animals----does not eat anything where the animal has to be killed to eat it.

I'm not saying that you don't eat a healthy diet---just that you are misusing the term vegetarian. I guess my only advice is to be careful with the fish you eat. I think there are health benefits to eating fish, but there are also some negatives, like mercury and other toxic substances, especially depending on where the fish come from. I've read that it;s best to eat more of the bottom-feeding fish because those at the top of the chain will likely have more toxic substances in them from eating a fish that ate a fish that ate a fish, etc.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:42 AM

349 posts, read 616,195 times
Vegetarian; almost 3 years.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedorah View Post

Advice meaning how to give up the seafood? One suggestion would be to read about modern fishing methods, where huge dragnets trap all kinds of fish plus dolphins, etc. Many pounds of fish and mammals die for one pound of fish that makes it to the market. Dolphins and fish that aren't the desired catch from the dragnet are termed "trash" and left to die on the deck or dumped into the sea to die.

Also, read about fish farming. The methods are cruel, with not enough room for the fish to swim because they are practically stacked top to bottom, side to side in the tanks. Then they are fed antibiotics to prevent disease that would easily spread through overcrowding conditions.

One of my coworkers has a part time job delivering baby fish to fish farms. He said that no one who eats fish should ever see what he sees, or they would immediately stop eating it.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:01 PM

278 posts, read 1,519,897 times
I grew up eating all sorts of meat. At 18 years old I stop eating pork and then later I stop eating beef and so on and so on. Now I eat seafood and hope to be off that soon.

I don't eat any dairy products or white bread or wheat anything or white pasta.

I'm not sure why it's taking me so long but when I read and saw what they did with meat I was shocked, disgusted, sick....nonetheless I was able to stop immediately. Maybe I should check out what missik999 said about the fish?

It doesn't help that my family eat any meat they find in the store or restaurant and when I order a salad the look at me as if I just killed a deer....lol...go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food