Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:42 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,397 times

Advertisements

I decided to become a vegetarian about a month ago. I have been doing fine with it, bht the past day or so I am having the most intense craving for meat. I am wondering if anyone else experienced this whe they went vegetarian? A friend mentioned I may be having cravings because I am low in nutrients meat provides, but I think I have been eating a.pretty.fulfilling diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 10:28 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
I don't think it's a nutrient issue, especially if you've done your homework and are eating a balanced diet. I think it's just that when you're used to eating meat, there are certain memories of delicious meals you had with it that you have to shake and it can take some time. I never ate much meat anyway, but years later I still drool a little when I go into the local Safeway and smell the roasted chickens, even though my job involves poultry virology and I abhor commercial poultry production practices, so my conscious mind is turned off by the idea of eating chicken. I was recently diagnosed with anemia, even though I go out of my way to eat a lot of dark green leafy veggies like spinach and kale, but I haven't had any craving for red meat or liver. Ice cubes, yes, but not meat. I think you'll find the cravings decrease over time - it's like getting off sweets. It takes awhile to adjust to a new diet.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:30 PM

367 posts, read 940,699 times
Just eat some pseudo meat soy product for the time being...most of us started out that way.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:32 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Does eating cheese dishes help?

Old 05-20-2012, 06:50 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,397 times
I hate the fake meat products, personally I feel that they are not particularly healthy. Cheese doesnt help. I do think perhaps.it will take time, but my mouth still waters whe I smell meat being cooked, and it takes a lot of will power to not eat it.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:02 AM

261 posts, read 497,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
I hate the fake meat products, personally I feel that they are not particularly healthy. Cheese doesnt help. I do think perhaps.it will take time, but my mouth still waters whe I smell meat being cooked, and it takes a lot of will power to not eat it.
I've had cravings, but as I mentioned in another post...that was due to salt cravings. I increased the hot sauce (I like the chinese hot sauce) and salt a little. I also use a little more dijon mustard in some dishes.

I went to an Indian food buffet where they had a nice offering of vegetarian dishes. Indian and Mexican food have abundant flavor. I think it was the flavor that I was craving rather than the meat. After all, who would eat meat without saturating it with marinade or seasoning? It's just flesh without the seasoning.

still today, I crave sardines with oil and black olives and heavy garlic. I still have them about once a month.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:07 AM

261 posts, read 497,106 times
I recently craved eggs. I hate eggs, but ended up buying the first dozen eggs ever. I boiled several eggs and ate them with dijon and salt. Salt seems to be the common thing. I rarely use salt on my veggies. And when I eat raw celery or chard, most times it seems naturally too salty. So maybe I'm on to something.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:42 PM

367 posts, read 940,699 times
yes folks, it's all about the seasoning...Caribbean vegetarian food has 'NUFF' flava. I would recommend a veggie roti to all the folks on here.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:32 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Have you tried tempeh? Perhaps a tempeh or portobello burger will help you work through the craving. Firm tofu which has been frozen, thawed, water pressed out, marinated and grilled has a nice meaty quality.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
I decided to become a vegetarian about a month ago. I have been doing fine with it, bht the past day or so I am having the most intense craving for meat. I am wondering if anyone else experienced this whe they went vegetarian? A friend mentioned I may be having cravings because I am low in nutrients meat provides, but I think I have been eating a.pretty.fulfilling diet.

Try easing your way into it instead of going cold tofu. (Ba-DAH-bum!)

Seriously. I stopped eating poultry long before I stopped eating meat in general. It was too much like eating my pet (bird).

And even now, 2 1/2 years after my last bite of animal flesh, I still eat fish on occasion.

My guess is that if you are eating a balanced diet with a lot of good protein, your cravings have more to do with texture and taste. People often get cravings for processed foods and junk food when quitting those things, too. That doesn't mean their body is deficient in anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food