U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,263,761 times

Advertisements

Sweet potatoes, grilled sweet Pennsylvania corn, dandelion greens (from my garden - weeds, that's right!) and a spinach and tomato salad - all seasoned with garden herbs (from my garden) a bit of sea salt, a drizzle of olive oils and a loaf of crusty wheat and rosemary bread. Strawberries for desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 02:01 AM

262 posts, read 430,786 times
sounds fantastic to me. Haver you ever tried sweet potato enchiladas? I was surprised at how good they were.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:11 AM

58 posts, read 185,923 times
This sounds sooo goood! I love sweet potatoes - I found a sweet potato smoothie recipe - can't wait to try it

Old 06-13-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
sounds fantastic to me. Haver you ever tried sweet potato enchiladas? I was surprised at how good they were.
No, but I'd love to try them!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:20 AM

13,258 posts, read 36,445,950 times
Potatoes AND corn AND bread - even if it sounds delicious (which it does), it's just too much starch for me in a single meal. I do love a good wild green salad but with more protein in it. As a main course, which is often how I eat it, more than just greens and tomatoes (which is perfect as a side-dish). Chickpeas and roasted sunflower seeds, a palmful of chopped walnuts, sliced raw mushrooms, chopped raw red onion, calamata olives, with tahini dressing (I make that myself, SO tasty) - so there's plenty of protein -combined- with the fiber and bulk to not just fill me up, but to keep me full for the rest of the evening.

I did a salad like that at a family picnic/BBQ and people really loved it. My intention for it was to make it a flexible dish, so people could have it as a main course, or as a side-dish, or as a "main side" (our picnics tend to consist of a lot of side dishes that, when combined, result in a well-balanced meal without any singular dish being "the" main course).

It makes me happy to see more of my family enjoying more raw foods and fewer processed foods. I'm not a health nut, but I tend to eat more healthy than the rest of my family and feel it's important for them to at -least- be exposed to more quality foods from nature than what they're used to.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:42 AM

5,339 posts, read 8,043,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Sweet potatoes, grilled sweet Pennsylvania corn, dandelion greens (from my garden - weeds, that's right!) and a spinach and tomato salad - all seasoned with garden herbs (from my garden) a bit of sea salt, a drizzle of olive oils and a loaf of crusty wheat and rosemary bread. Strawberries for desert.

Sounds yummy! Very colorful, flavorful and nutritious. I always try to plan meals with color and flavor in mind, and this one is outstanding.

I might have to duplicate in the near future.....

Here was our vegetable dinner: Baked potatoes, split and topped with sauted mushrooms, scallions, chives and fresh cracked pepper, fresh corn, green beans and sliced tomatoes (all from the farmer's market) and hot french bread. Blueberries and mango for dessert.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:45 AM

11,092 posts, read 17,564,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Sounds yummy! Very colorful, flavorful and nutritious. I always try to plan meals with color and flavor in mind, and this one is outstanding.

I might have to duplicate in the near future.....

Here was our vegetable dinner: Baked potatoes, split and topped with sauted mushrooms, scallions, chives and fresh cracked pepper, fresh corn, green beans and sliced tomatoes (all from the farmer's market) and hot french bread. Blueberries and mango for dessert.
Both of these meals sound absolutely and positively delicious. I do have the same question about carb-loading though. Do you make sure you get more protein at lunch on a day when this is the planned dinner? Or do you not feel like you need to?

Old 06-13-2012, 01:49 PM

I wouldn't worry as much about protein. Adults do not need nearly as much protein as the meat industry wants to have us believe.

I'm not saying that I eat this way all of the time. However, several meals a week with no protein are not going to kill or hurt anyone. I think that it will give your liver and kidneys a rest.

I don't "load" any food. Eating less is good. So at my age a half a sweet potato and a half an ear of corn, fills me.

I partake freely of greens and green veggies.

It's just common sense.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:43 AM

4,889 posts, read 3,977,230 times
Sounds Delicious Sheena

I have been doing more and more veggie meals including prefab indian dishes (which are great) I like to sautee or stir fry some combos of veggies but for the miost part these have been more as side dishes
I have nothing against a 100% vegetarian meal or a lifestyle as such though.
We did vegetarian for years until we had kids

Old 06-21-2012, 02:34 PM

2,748 posts, read 3,341,915 times
Both meals sound really good. Wouldn't worry about the protein. Too much isn't good for you you anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food